Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:22 pm
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:14 pm
deafmetal wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:16 pm

It's the opaque/solid red and it sounds good to me even in headphones. Don't be thrown off by the opening track Ghost Dog Theme (w/Dogs & EFX) as this starts off at a low volume and the added effects almost sound like surface noise (hah), but when the second track drops all will become clear. I'm not an audiophile, but I hear some distortion on the very high frequency sounds on the Ghost Dog Theme, but it might be my needle or equipment. Overall package 7/10, as I would have preferred black or transparent red vinyl and some liner notes from RZA on the production of the original music. They also messed up the tracklist on both the sleeve and the labels as tracks 9&10 are actually on side A and not on side B. All that said, the music is sounding excellent to me. I never went for any of the bootlegs cut over the years, so it's been a long wait to finally have this on vinyl. The original score was only released in Japan on CD as far as I know.
Good to hear, Deaf, and thanks for the full report. I'll be curious to hear if others note similar distortion; I've experienced issues of that ilk with GOD pressings in the past. And you're correct about the Japanese CD. I owned one for quite some time before ripping it lossless and moving it on. It's such a great score.
I think mine is due to land tomorrow :)
Standing by.
By ScoJo
So excited to receive this today - was purchased as 'sealed mint', though when I took it out of the mailer I saw signs of brown spotting and discolouration all over the sleeve, eek! Then as I pulled off the shrink, I realised it was only part of the plastic and it is in fact absolutely 41years-old-minty-fresh! What a treat. The VS Odyssey is real.

IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0430.JPG (391.23 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
By ScoJo
Raise your swords!!

IMG_0431.JPG
IMG_0431.JPG (294.25 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
I also was hugely tempted to grab various Japanese boots over the years, so thrilled to have this finally.

Sounds pretty good to me - the first track is a real thrower though, as it's an ambient cue smothered in foley background sound (and dogs!), and the loops themselves are quite janky/crunchy n fucked up. So at first your ears are like, 'whaaahh??'

By track 2 it's a lot cleaner sounding, but yes as Deaf pointed out I also hear some distortion I think? Or perhaps it needs a really super thorough clean (I have the red with smokey black whisps version) Anyway, nothing really bad, and of course it's difficult to pinpoint this stuff exactly when you're dealing with 'crunchy ass sample'-based tunes. In fact, as it continues, I'm hearing none of that stuff on track 3 so it seems like it's inherent musical artefacts rather than pressing ones. I only really have mp3 rips from a vinyl boot to compare the pressing to, so.... won't bother! ;)

As an aside, the GD soundtrack is also pretty great and I still need to source that on wax. Royal Fam track is incredible.
By tim28212
ScoJo wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:02 pm So excited to receive this today - was purchased as 'sealed mint', though when I took it out of the mailer I saw signs of brown spotting and discolouration all over the sleeve, eek! Then as I pulled off the shrink, I realised it was only part of the plastic and it is in fact absolutely 41years-old-minty-fresh! What a treat. The VS Odyssey is real.

IMG_0430.JPG
Congrats!
By ScoJo
tim28212 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:08 pm
ScoJo wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:02 pm So excited to receive this today - was purchased as 'sealed mint', though when I took it out of the mailer I saw signs of brown spotting and discolouration all over the sleeve, eek! Then as I pulled off the shrink, I realised it was only part of the plastic and it is in fact absolutely 41years-old-minty-fresh! What a treat. The VS Odyssey is real.

IMG_0430.JPG
Congrats!
🤓
By Hatter313

IMG_0430.JPG
I got a near fine copy of this at end of an ear the last time I was in Austin, legit the best purchase I made that last mondocon and it wasn’t even at the show haha. What a superb record in every respect.
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:26 pm

IMG_0430.JPG
I got a near fine copy of this at end of an ear the last time I was in Austin, legit the best purchase I made that last mondocon and it wasn’t even at the show haha. What a superb record in every respect.
So good. Even my gf wandered in this morning while I was checking it and said 'what's this, it's lovely!' Was reticent to show her the sleeve (she hates horror/Devil-ish stuff ;-)
By reddye6
John Dixon - Attack of the Demons
Attachments
IMG_0928.jpg
IMG_0928.jpg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 1724 times
By The Cult Leader
20210111_193257.jpg
20210111_193257.jpg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 1711 times
Spinning my copy of Degradation of Emanuelle by Nico Fidenco. All 4 of the RSD releases DW did that year are top notch. Going to have to listen to Perfume of the Lady In Black next.