Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By tim28212
40th anniversary showings are in the area this week, hoping to make one.
Alien - Jerry Goldsmith
Silva Screen ‎– FILM 003
Attachments
PA133126.JPG
PA133126.JPG (176.71 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
By 334578rpm
tim28212 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:17 pm
NathanLurker wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:49 pm ONE MODERN HORROR SCORE A DAY
DAY 13
I procrastinated on this one to long and ended up missing out. Hoping to come across one at a reasonable price or maybe a repress one day.
If we're going to celebrate "alien day" every year, I think a repress is a near certainty.
By ScoJo
Fuckin hell- how did I manage to dismiss this as 'not very horrific' and shelve away unloved for years?? Thank fuck I am spinning now before throwing on the 'for sale' pile, it's incredible!!

IMG_1076.JPG
IMG_1076.JPG (1020.64 KiB) Viewed 1800 times
By ScoJo
IMG_1077.JPG
IMG_1077.JPG (1.18 MiB) Viewed 1795 times
Beautiful and haunting score- my favourite of the last year or so. Reminiscent of Martinez (esp The Underneath/Solaris/Limey golden era!)

You should have this if you don't, I promise.
By texasvinyl
ScoJo wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:31 am Fuckin hell- how did I manage to dismiss this as 'not very horrific' and shelve away unloved for years?? Thank fuck I am spinning now before throwing on the 'for sale' pile, it's incredible!!

IMG_1076.JPG
It's funny, I had the opposite reaction. Threw it in the pile! Maybe it's the vocals. Almost kept it for that Sansani track with great percussion.
By ScoJo
Haha.... it's a wide, wild world Tex, I adore Asha and Lata et al- it's s trip hearing them doing 'spooky' songs ;)

(if your definition of spooky is Hindi disco with occasional cackling and some skronky electronics, which it seems I was really in the mood for today!)
By ScoJo
It's a beaut indeed, @hs - I am consistently surprised by my own 'second' reaction to things! I reckon I'd just been listening to too much generic modern 'synth' horror music at the time it came out, and my palette was dulled ;o)
By tim28212
ScoJo wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:12 pm It's a beaut indeed, @hs - I am consistently surprised by my own 'second' reaction to things! I reckon I'd just been listening to too much generic modern 'synth' horror music at the time it came out, and my palette was dulled ;o)
This has happened to me on more than one occasion and is why I find it so hard to weed my collection. I might not like something today but who knows how I'm gonna feel about it later in life. Be it 2 weeks, 2 months, or 2 years. But, all that said, I've been thinking about weeding the collection again.
:)
By NathanLurker
ScoJo wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:08 pm Enjoying your MHS run, @nate - what do you think of this one? I parted with mine recently, but had a farewell spin. Something that suddenly struck me (which never had previously) was how much the main title is reminiscent of Williams' The Planet Krypton cue from Superman The Movie! Am I nuts (or just really slow, and it's very obvious?)
Thanks ! I think Prometheus is more about tonality than melody, although it is melodic enough, it feels like a goldmsith orchestra sent through a dark ambient filter. the liner notes are interesting for this, I seen to remember that Streitenfeld mentioned doing lots of post processing with sounds to create effects. I can't remember the melodies for Prometheus but whenever I put it back on the platter to rediscover the thing I'm pleasantly surprised.

and yeah I do see the similarities with Planet Krypton now that you mention it.

Also, Bollywood Bloodbath is great, my favorite track is Aafat.

__

ONE MODERN HORROR SCORE A DAY
DAY 14