Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bub
Thanks Static! Enjoying your run as well! D.O.A. has always caught my eye but never seen nor heard the music. Gonna check it out.

Undead, undead, undead...
20191226_172308.jpg
20191226_172308.jpg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 1325 times
By inksb
I want Il Fiume Del Grande Caimano so bad :)

This was my afternoon run, my wife got three new records for Xmas so we listened to them today, followed by my copy of Mind's Eye that I bought almost a month ago and it finally made the 5 hour trip upstate since the guy who I bought it from took his sweet damn time to ship it. Jackie & Orphee are quite beautiful and haunting albums.

And then this beauty arrived on Monday but I haven't had a chance until today to spin it. It's wonderful. Data Discs did an incredible job (as usual), I ended up snagging the Limited Edition. Even though 2019 was a slower year for DD, they knocked it out of the park with each release. Well I did see some criticism for Sonic CD which I haven't had a chance to pick up yet but I will soon.

By Bub
Under the Skin is so good. I need to throw it on soon.

I finally watched The Mind's Eye the other day. It wasn't terrible but the music was definitely the best thing about it. Looking forward to checking out Steve Moore's Bliss OST in January.
By ScoJo
Bub wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:49 pm 20191226_164619_resize_67.jpg
I dig this sleeve/key art so much, so happy to have this in my collection. I'm semi-obsessed with the idea that the art is by Corben but I've searched and searched online and can't find a single verification of the artist anywhere. I mean, it has to be Corben right? Or an extremely blatant (and beautifully pulled off) copycat.
By Bub
ScoJo wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:44 am
Bub wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:49 pm 20191226_164619_resize_67.jpg
I dig this sleeve/key art so much, so happy to have this in my collection. I'm semi-obsessed with the idea that the art is by Corben but I've searched and searched online and can't find a single verification of the artist anywhere. I mean, it has to be Corben right? Or an extremely blatant (and beautifully pulled off) copycat.
Yeah I'm very happy to have it as well. I wasn't familiar with Corben (please don't throw rocks at me!) but his style is definitely a good match. It is odd that the art isn't signed. Perhaps it was a way to pay the artist once royalty free. I did a little snooping & the poster for Galaxy of Terror, which is very similar in style but not quite exact, was done by someone named Charo. The only search results I get for this name is the Cuchi Cuchi Charo though so that's another mystery.
By tim28212
continuing with my favorite purchases of 2019. A truely fine job done on this one by one of our own.
The Keep - Tangerine Dream
Blow Out Recordings ‎– BORLP-001
Attachments
PC303283.JPG
PC303283.JPG (264.19 KiB) Viewed 1197 times
By tim28212
Wolfen - James Horner
Ryder Records HM ‎– HEFF001
no surprise that another favorite is, again, done by one of our own
I know everyone was excited for The Hitcher but like @mateo, I got more excited for this one. And RR did a fantastic job!
Attachments
PC303284.JPG
PC303284.JPG (191.03 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
By inksb
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:35 pm Image
After seeing this film I definitely need the soundtrack. I was listening on google music today and it has bits of dialog mixed in with the tracks, does the LP have the same? I generally don't care for that but it was pretty minimal and actually blended into the music. I'm mostly just curious as I'll buy it anyways.
By ScoJo
Found out about this on Xmas eve and was so overexcited - I'm a huge fan of Soviet animation, and some of the 80s stuff is truly mind boggling, right up my 'ulitsa'... completely surreal and joyful .

FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (925.27 KiB) Viewed 1058 times

This score by Volodymyr Bystriakov to the 1982 version of Alice in Wonderland is easily my favourite release of the year, just eclipsing some other fantastic releases like Mandy and The Tenant and god knows how many other great scores. What can I say - this is just utterly 'my jam' and it actually had me shedding a few tears of joy upon first listen. Mixture of small scale acoustic instrument ensemble/percussion with period synths... yum yum yum! This new Ukranian label has immediately become my top 'one to watch' for the year ahead.

Links:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOtQx2hqS7A[/youtube]

https://shukai.bandcamp.com/album/alice ... glass-1982

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/volodym ... 755563-01/
By inksb
Seeing such high praise for that record makes me very interested @scojo

I'll watch the youtube link this week and check it out.

This was my first spin of 2020. I didn't have any time for music today. Even though I only had two beers last night and fell asleep around 12:30, I slept until almost 10am and felt like garbage for half of the day. When I did feel better I introduced my wife to Seven, she had never seen it before.

By Dollarhyde
ScoJo wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:02 pm Found out about this on Xmas eve and was so overexcited - I'm a huge fan of Soviet animation, and some of the 80s stuff is truly mind boggling, right up my 'ulitsa'... completely surreal and joyful .

FullSizeRender.jpg

This score by Volodymyr Bystriakov to the 1982 version of Alice in Wonderland is easily my favourite release of the year, just eclipsing some other fantastic releases like Mandy and The Tenant and god knows how many other great scores. What can I say - this is just utterly 'my jam' and it actually had me shedding a few tears of joy upon first listen. Mixture of small scale acoustic instrument ensemble/percussion with period synths... yum yum yum! This new Ukranian label has immediately become my top 'one to watch' for the year ahead.

Links:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOtQx2hqS7A[/youtube]

https://shukai.bandcamp.com/album/alice ... glass-1982

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/volodym ... 755563-01/
Thankyou for the tip off @scojo

Just copped this along with 'the air seller' as a two record bundle from their bandcamp.

'the air seller' is sounding rather lovely indeed also, getting some 60's spy jazz vibes :)
By ScoJo
@dollar - yes, I very much need to pick that up too, going to scout around for a uk seller. 1967! Loving the early electronics mixed with the SovJazz, very special. I honestly can't wait to see what else this Ukrainian label has in store- having tried to put out some Soviet film/anime music myself, I can tell you that rights and whatnot are an absolute cluster fuck over there and I'm just so thrilled that somebody in the Motherland seems to be cracking that nut.