Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By texasvinyl
I still love the first mondo cover plus the nostalgia of those early mondo days that were a lot of fun! But yea the beat og smokes it :)

Thanks for the detailed write up! Got to see a live rescore once when Fabio frizzi graced Dallas with a show at the always excellent Texas Theater in oak cliff. Same one where they arrested Lee Harvey Oswald. Tonight they're showing Maniac Cop!
By deafmetal
COMPARISON CORNER #17
by deaf
-------------

ZOMBI 2
Music composed by Fabio Frizzi

Comparing four vinyl releases of the score; Eastworld (Japan), Death Waltz (2011, 2015), and Beat Records/Ribot along with notes on overall package and presentation.

Zombi 2 - Island of the Flesh-Eaters, aka Zombie, Zombies 2, Zombie Flesh Eaters, Gli ultimi zombi, Island of the Living Dead, Nightmare Island, Sanguelia, L'Enfer de Zombies and Woodoo. Lucio Fulci's first horror film was also the first Fulci film to assault my young eyes and left quite an impression. The brisk editing and pacing along with the relentless march of Giannetto De Rossi’s exquisitely-crafted undead are enough to raise the blood pressure… but Fulci is not going to let us off the island without experiencing a flesh-rending horrorshow.

Some standout acting from Ian McCulloch raises the film above other genre copycats and helps bring a more serious note to the gut-munching events transpiring on the Island of the Flesh-Eaters. McCulloch cannot escape the script though when he inexplicably decides it’s time to get down with Anne (Tisa Farrow) after a brief respite on the zombie-infested ground. The tension keeps ratcheting up through the film leading to the main cast finding Dr. Menard (Richard Johnson) and discovering the story behind the rise of the undead.

Are the cursed zombies of Dr. Menard an allegory for some ill of society or just another horror plot device? The last quarter of the film is full-tilt assault with unlimited ammo, Molotovs, and some classic zombie brain-blasting. Even if they do get off the island, what does it matter though if the rest of the world is already lost?

The film begins with a grim, score-less sequence with the infamous quote, and then launches straight into that unholy title theme – 4/4 percussion with… spooky groaning synths? It's not only just groaning though, graceful melodies offset the darkness like sunlight piercing dark clouds. Delirious, wailing and mournful synths slosh up against frenetic caribbean-inspired percussion. Things get murky with simmering and bubbling sounds conjuring a voodoo haze for the surroundings only to end with shrieking and lashing yelps of tortured electronics. I must not be the only one who was immediately seeking out score composer Fabio Frizzi after viewing the film. Although originally credited to both Frizzi and Giorigio Tucchi (Cascio), I have been informed that Cascio did not do much at all to help create the original score or themes, and recent reissues of the score are credited solely to Frizzi. Additionally, Frizzi writes that Maurizio Guarini of Goblin performed the recorded keyboard sections and Adriano Giordanella the percussion.

ImageGuarini at the Mellotron

The infamous kick drum percussion was indeed a palm on a mic as they had no drum to sample in the studio at that time. With Frizzi’s first horror film score magic was born, and now over forty years later, his themes for Zombi 2 are renowned for their creative mix of sounds. They also seem to have an ability to make us feel a bit uneasy and uplifted at the same time which is a unique result.

Again, finding a copy of the soundtrack in the US to listen to back in the day was not easy. Few even knew about the Eastworld Japanese 45 with only two tracks or the rare Italian/Swiss cassette tape release from 1989, but there were a few CD compilations/remix albums released in the mid 1990’s in the US that had some material to offer (including a rip of the Eastworld 45):

The film title theme was already well-known by the 90’s and was being remixed by DJ’s and producers such as Alucarda and rokOpera for digital CD releases. In 1998, Beat Records finally released a Zombi 2/Un gatto nel cervello split CD that had eight (8) tracks with 22.5 minutes of original score music from Zombi 2 labeled “Seq. 1-8” which from that point on were the official OST. Enrico De Gemini is noted as compiling the first release. The infamous main title theme was found last at Sequence 8.

The Releases

Disclaimer: not an audiophile, using headphones, not an investment advisor, entertainment only, YMMV, etc.

サンゲリアのテーマ - Theme from Sanguelia - Eastworld EWR-20688 - Japan (1980)

Sleeve:

Printed on a thin paper insert typical of Japanese genre 45’s. The artwork for the Japanese Sanguelia film poster as featured is interesting with a shot of Tisa Farrow (Anne Bowles) superimposed over a blood-red NYC skyline. The blue body bag offsets the image well and informs that dead bodies will be involved in some way. Not the greatest of Japanese horror film poster art, but quite different from anything else for this film’s promotion. Liner notes in Japanese on the reverse along with a black & white photo from one of the most gruesome scenes in the film.

Insert:

The sleeve is basically a paper insert in a PVC outer sleeve.

Liner Notes:

Although a bit difficult to translate, the notes have some enthusiasm regarding the film release along with notes on the lead actors and the Italian production crew. The bulk of the text though is a plot summary.

Vinyl:

Produced by Variety Film and supposedly licensed by Towa Music Ltd. This 45 single is unique in that it is the first OST release for Zombi 2, but also raises some questions about the source material. Only two tracks on the 45 featuring the main theme from the film as サンゲリアのテーマ (Theme from Sanguelia) and the sunny cab-ride Caribbean tune as 地獄への旅立ち(Partenza Al'Inferno “Journey to Hell”). What is noticeable is that the main theme opens with three measures of the palm/”kick drum” percussion exactly how the track opens in the film. This version with the opening drum, although heard on the film, would not be released with this 12-note intro on the subsequent Beat Records CD album or any future album. Was it edited for the film? The percussion is also used later on in the film as a "heartbeat" sequence as well. Did Eastworld/Toshiba possibly use a 35mm audio source for this 45 release or did they receive a master tape from Italy to create the single? My hunch is that this was an unlicensed film rip for release in Japan. The sound is good but not great, possibly due to either the source material or the pressing. There are some high-end percussion/cymbal sounds that did not come through with the mastering or transfer that are heard on subsequent versions of the main theme. The sound is also very high in the mid-range, and although loud enough, sounds flat and tinny. It is still a very interesting piece of history for this OST whether an official release or not.

Death Waltz DW001 - UK (2012)

Do you remember where you were when you first heard about Death Waltz Recording Company? I just about fell out of my chair when I saw that a new label out of the UK was actually going to press Frizzi’s Zombi 2 OST on blood-splattered vinyl with what looked like new artwork created for the release. It was the stuff of dreams for me, and not only were they pressing this album, but they were offering a subscription for like-minded horror/scifi soundtrack collectors?

Sleeve:

In hindsight, it is a bit much that the composer and title of this album are only found in tiny print within Frizzi’s liner notes on the rear sleeve. I get what DW was going for with the film quote on the sleeve edge, but you would really have to know what this is or rely on a shop label if you didn’t want to read all those notes on the back of the sleeve. Who wouldn’t know though, right? Zombie vs Shark, nothing else would be it. The DW001 cardstock sleeve featuring Graham Humphreys excellent and sickly orange-tinged cover artwork is embossed with gloss coating within the laserdisc-style frame on the black background. As mentioned, the reverse features liner notes from Fabio Frizzi where he also claims sole responsibility for the original score creation.

Insert:

Vinyl sleeve insert printed with track titles and credits, along with additional liner notes by Graham Humphreys and Stephen Thrower on the reverse. As for extras, well, maybe. Quite a few stories about this first DW release and possibly some packing issues or just misunderstandings with those who purchased copies. The subscriber edition should have any included a 12”x12” cardstock art print with the Humphreys cover art and additional art print on the reverse as well as an A2 poster with printed signatures. Some additional copies may have been sold with or without any extras, and there are reports of both the black vinyl or red vinyl repress missing the A2 poster.

Liner Notes:

Frizzi (back sleeve), Humphreys, Thrower (insert).

Vinyl:

The infamous 45rpm DW001 release. Lots of stories about people spinning this one at 33rpm and not picking up on it for a while. I have both the clear/splatter and a red vinyl repress to review of this release. Both have the slightest of warps but play without issue. The sound is clean with decent volume and good stereo separation. Likely sourced from the Beat Records CD release, it is definitely a great improvement over the Eastworld 45 in terms of mastering and equalization. The sound is enjoyable with more discernible instrumentation. That said, the sound does not leap out at you and the pressing does sound a bit more quiet that you might expect. I am not picking up any distracting surface noise other than a couple pops on the splatter pressing. Hearing the entire album on vinyl was a first for many, especially the additional sequences.

Death Waltz/Mondo DW001DL - US (2015)

Test pressing sold at MondoCon events, mystery web shop drops, or included as giveaway prizes.

Sleeve:

Standard Mondo gatefold test pressing sleeve with title labeled in ink on reverse.

Insert:

none

Liner Notes:

none

Vinyl:

Remastered at Abbey Road Studios under Frizzi’s supervision.

I am not sure it’s entirely fair to review a test pressing here, but DW/Mondo did offer these for sale so I will include it. The remastered 33rpm vinyl does sound quite good with a clear, loud sound. It is immediately noticeable how much louder this pressing is than the earlier DW001 pressing. The sounds and individual synths are much more discernible to the ear, possibly from the remaster or perhaps just an improved pressing. The overall sound is more dynamic, and the percussion and keys bounce between the ears due to the quality of the pressing. A very enjoyable listen and this carries on to the retail pressing I have as well:

Death Waltz/Mondo DW001DL - US (2015)

Sleeve:

Titled Zombie Flesh Eaters - Strong Uncut Edition in homage to the UK video nasty. This reissue features the original UK poster artwork by Tom Beauvais. I recall hearing that Spencer purchased the original painting of the artwork which may have been used to create this album artwork. Cardstock gatefold sleeve with very dark printing giving it an aged/vintage look although coming off a bit too dark imho, especially the image of Olga Karlatos (Mrs. Menard) pre-eyeball gouge. Composer credit and track titles on the reverse along with b&w still shots from the film.

Insert:

Outstanding high-quality four-page full color insert with extensive liner notes from Stephen Thrower, Ian McCulloch, Fabio Frizzi, and Tom Beauvais along with many color still frame photos from the film.

Liner Notes:

Thrower, McCulloch, Frizzi, Beauvais (insert).

Vinyl:

Remastered at Abbey Road Studios under Frizzi’s supervision.

I have the gray/clear mix vinyl although it mostly looks gray unless held up to the light. Similar to the test pressing, this sounds nice and loud. Instruments are easily discernible and the remastered mix sounds excellent on the ears. There is no detectable surface noise and it was an exciting listen with new sounds discovered during the listen. Overall, this reissue does sound quite improved over the first DW001 release and I have to recommend it. I would consider the first pressing more of a collector's item now, and the go-to selection would be this DW001DL reissue.

Beat Records/Ribot FBS005 - Italy (2022)

This is easily one of the most elaborate single LP editions I have in my collection. When it arrived in a huge box I knew I was in for a ridiculous opening which did not disappoint.

Sleeve

There is actually a copy of Beat/Ribot LPF092 inside the collector’s box which features the classic Giannetto De Rossi zombie from the film poster cropped down to LP sleeve size. Two additional releases were produced by the label with new artwork by Graham Humphreys (LPF090) and Alexandros Pyromallis (LPF091). There are different vinyl colors and LP labels on each version. The cardstock gatefold sleeve has film title and composer credit on the front (for once) along with production credits, track titles and runtimes on the reverse. An assortment of color still frame photos from the film on the inner gatefold.

Insert:

Vinyl sleeve insert printed with liner notes in both Italian and English by Antonella Fulci, Fabio Frizzi, and Daniele De Gemini (Beat Records). Also includes a few color still frame photos from the film. The extras in the collector’s edition box are quite good, with the standout piece being a handcrafted bust of the lead De Rossi zombie. Also included are a small signed print by Frizzi with display, thick cardstock prints of the alternate album cover artwork by Humphreys and Pyromallis, and finally a large recreation Italian film poster by Ermanno Iaia who was the original artist for the 1979 Italian film poster.

Liner Notes:

A. Fulci, Frizzi, D. De Gemini (insert).

Vinyl:

Sound Engineer: Enrico De Gemini
Pressed by GZ Media

I have the black vinyl pressing with LPF092 and it immediately sounds quite good. Nice stereo separation with a dynamic quality to the sound. There is no distortion or surface noise detected. It may be just a bit quieter than the previous DW/Mondo (2015) pressing. Overall, a very enjoyable listen without any complaints. If this was the only pressing I had heard of the album I would be satisfied without the need to seek further for an improved version.

With five additional tracks added to this release, it is an outlier as a new “definitive edition" per Beat Records. From their release notes, an old tape was found in the Ribot archive with the additional material. Included is the Linda Lee/Bixio-Frizzi-Tempera cut “There is no matter” which was previously found as a b-side on Cinevox SC-1095. This track plays in the background early in the film in NYC.

- There is no matter 4:39
- Zombi 2 (Seq. 9) 2:56
- Zombi 2 (Seq. 10) 1:25
- Zombi 2 (Seq. 11) 4:00
- Zombi 2 (Seq. 12) 2:58

The additional sequences provide original score and sequences heard in the film that were missing from the original album, but I do wish they had re-sequenced the entire OST a bit more in film order rather than tacking on all the expanded tracks at the end. That said, it is great to hear this material; a mix of ambient/experimental and percussion/tension tracks that fill in the missing pieces. Overall, I do enjoy a bit of a longer OST for this album now at 39:21, and the inclusion is appreciated in any order. I do wonder if some sound quality may have been lost to get almost twenty mins of music per side, but I am not hearing anything to prevent enjoyment of this on vinyl. Recommended as an expanded album, but for absolute sound quality/pressing, I have to go with the 2015 DW/Mondo release right now.
By Bezulsqy
Stellar comparison @Deaf!
I was tempted getting that Beat Records box but didn't have the money at the time. Looks like a fantastic package.
I do have that Swiss tape :-) and the Japanese 45.
And both DWRC releases.
Great score!
By inksb
Excellent and very thorough write up @deaf

Love all the photos. I may grab the Beat reissue at some point. I own the first DW and in pretty happy with it.
By ScoJo
Wowsers. Yoeman work here, @deaf. Much appreciated. Seems I’m okay overall with my ‘strong uncut’ DWRC edition.

Although…. being reminded that I am missing those additional unearthed tracks from the Beat is going to niggle away I fear.

And further…. hearing that they should be ‘in sequence’ does lead me to an inevitable conclusion….. MAYBE SOMEBODY NEEDS TO DO A DEFINITIVE VERSION??!!!

*hollow laughter*
By ScoJo
btw

This unofficial fan CD release of the ‘full score sessions’(!) in stereo (!!) sourced from co-composer (!!!) Giorgio Tucci’s own DAT tape copy is certainly… intriguing (!!!!)

(The liner notes which have clearly used Google Translate are quite amusing)

https://www.discogs.com/release/6748685 ... lete-Score

D78C24EF-5753-4953-821C-B6F1105E5B1B.jpeg
D78C24EF-5753-4953-821C-B6F1105E5B1B.jpeg (216.43 KiB) Viewed 511 times
A36E9C49-A534-4BAD-B29B-98325E2B2252.jpeg
A36E9C49-A534-4BAD-B29B-98325E2B2252.jpeg (155.29 KiB) Viewed 511 times
By Bub
Excellent stuff as usual, Deaf! I feel that DW has lost it's way for a while now with the exclusion of liner notes, stills, etc. Such a shame.

And I believe each of the 3 Beat reissues used different stills on the back of the jackets which is a pretty cool attention to detail.

Kinda on the same topic, I'm surprised no one has released the soundtrack to "7 Doors of Death" (The Beyond US cut) on vinyl. Eibon Press put it out on CD a few years ago though.
By deafmetal
@ScoJo - I have been trying to track down a copy of that Island of the Living Dead CD for years without success. It is very interesting how many people were looking for these master tapes throughout the 1990's. I do have a copy of Cannibal Ferox/Zombie split OST by Blackest Heart Media (their first release) where some wild claims are made. Grindhouse Releasing helped promote the release of this OST CD with the 7" promo that was included in the Ferox laserdisc. Supposedly, if you could even believe what is written in the CD liner notes, Stephen Romano (rokOpera), Shawn Smith, and Docion Alucarda, along with Bob Murawski and Sage Stallone of Grindhouse Releasing all went to Italy together to gather source materials for various projects. Romano writes text that he was on a mission to find the lost master tapes for both Cannibal Ferox and Zombi 2. Supposedly, Flipper Music laughed at them when they asked for the rights to release the score for Ferox and then said the masters were lost along with the Zombi 2 masters. They claim to have sourced material for this album from found "reel-to-reel tape, cassettes, and an ancient two-track master" that was used for the Japanese 45 which is interesting, but all somewhat unbelievable if you hear the results on this album. To me, it sounds like another rip of the 45 for the two known tracks. Maybe it is from a master tape, but either way, those are the only two tracks bearing any semblance to the known original score. The rest were possibly made from stems ripped from the film (or maybe tapes, sigh) that were then used in recreations by these musicians to recreate the tracks as heard in the film. If anything, as desperate as the writing is, you get a feeling for how hungry people were for this OST back in the day. They would do just about anything to try and put the complete OST back together as they all thought it was lost forever.

The 90's do somewhat feel like a lost golden age of secrets trading where people (at least US weirdos) were digging all over Italy to both find rare recordings and also pay tribute to beloved material. Check out the ridiculous lineup of bands on this Fulci tribute album https://www.discogs.com/release/451749- ... ny-Of-Fear. It was the last CD released by Graveside Entertainment (Alucarda's label). They were promoting a third supplemental CD that would supposedly have some cool radio ads but also "an obscure choir foley track from 'The Beyond'". Wtf? Maybe they were finding rare tapes in Italy...