Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Revolver_OcelScott
So my girlfriend had the Polar Express on, which I've never seen,but knew the score was by Alan Silvestri. I heard this song, and I KNOW I've heard it before, but I don't know where. I was hoping you could help me out.

It starts at about 3min50sec.

https://youtu.be/jmylERkg9XI

It sounds similar to one of the songs in Edward Scissorhands, but I don't think that's it. I know it's oddly placed in this forum, but figured, it is a film score, so why not. And I can delete the topic if it's out of place.
By Hatter313
I think what you might be hearing is just a Silvestri motif. I see where you are getting Edward sissorhands, it’s similar to the ice dance track. I find that a lot of film composers of that ilk like silvestri, Williams, Kamen, elfman etc. have certain things they return to over and over, for example you can hear what would eventually be the Harry Potter theme in the counterpoint to music Williams wrote in Star Wars. It’s not quite the same but the beginnings of it are there for sure.

This may be the same sort of thing.

That very beginning of the cut is also very familiar, and my brain wanted to resolve the melody very differently so I think it might be triggering something else that opens similarly. Like I can whistle exactly what it’s making me think of but can’t place it and I wonder if you are hearing the same thing I am haha
By Revolver_OcelScott
Hatter313 wrote: That very beginning of the cut is also very familiar, and my brain wanted to resolve the melody very differently so I think it might be triggering something else that opens similarly. Like I can whistle exactly what it’s making me think of but can’t place it and I wonder if you are hearing the same thing I am haha
This is exactly where I am right now. I feel like I heard it sometime recently and I can almost picture what it was but can't remember, been bugging me all night haha.
By Hatter313
Yeah dude, it’s those first 4 notes that’s doing it for me and I can almost place it. Gah!

Like I can definitely finish the whole song that it’s triggering but I have no idea what it is, and I feel like whatever it is comes in at the same sort of scene, like the end of a holiday or family film or something. I just went through his whole discography looking to see if it’s another of his but nothing was jumping out.
By ScoJo
I'd say the four note refrain is almost certainly a nod to 'Magic Moments', the old Perry Como banger.

And overall you are all DEFINITELY getting a Scissorhands vibe- intentional or otherwise, this score is lousy with Elfman-esque touches!

Here's an aside though- I was an Imax projectionist for a few years (back when it was pre- digital/all 65mm film... amazing) and PE would get year round heavy rotation. Due to the nature of projecting film at that size, even a speck of debris in the projection gate would show up like a hairy golfball on screen, so we would HAVE to sit in the booth and watch the whole show whilst holding a button which could 'wash' the gate with fluid/air if need be.
Consequently, I estimate that I've seen that sacharine, uncanny valley, image capture nightmare around 120x at least, start to finish. And despite the fact that every fiber of my being loathed it the first time... now when I see this clip, it's like meeting up with an old buddy and I get warm feels and have a Pavlovian need to see certain scenes from it / hear the score.
AAAAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Hatter313
No, dollar, you are on the money, I had the same thought last night, it’s almost the beginning of “think of me”. (I have wide tastes).

Also that dollar/money pun was unintentional but I’m leaving it there.

Also @scojo, I feel you there dude, I worked in movie theaters as an usher and sometime projectionist for years and I know all too well what you are talking about.
By Dollarhyde
Hatter313 wrote:No, dollar, you are on the money, I had the same thought last night, it’s almost the beginning of “think of me”. (I have wide tastes).

Also that dollar/money pun was unintentional but I’m leaving it there.

Also @scojo, I feel you there dude, I worked in movie theaters as an usher and sometime projectionist for years and I know all too well what you are talking about.
That's the one!, also that pun was mad @hatter :D

I'll grab my coat again...
By Hatter313
Not to resurrect this without a resolution but I just shot up off the couch and thought it might actually just be “moon river” but it’s not.

As you were.