Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
After reading the post about The Great Silence and watching that film plus For A Few Dollars More yesterday I did a search for more Morricone western scores.

I found a very interesting website: The Spaghetti Western Database: https://www.spaghetti-western.net/

According to that site Ennio Morricone is responsible for about 30 western scores.
I copied the list and added the Discogs links to vinyl releases. Please correct me if I got stuff wrong or am missing things.

Filmography of Ennio Morricones scores(in Chronical order):
Most releases are not too difficult or expensive to get.
However I could not find a release on vinyl for:
  • Sette Pistole per I MacGregor
  • Sette Donne per I MacGregor
  • Per Pochi Dollari Ancora
  • Il Giorno Del Giudizio
Last edited by Bezulsqy on Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote:After reading the post about The Great Silence and watching that film plus For A Few Dollars More yesterday I did a search for more Morricone western scores.

I found a very interesting website: The Spaghetti Western Database: https://www.spaghetti-western.net/

According to that site Ennio Morricone is responsible for about 30 western scores.
I copied the list and added the Discogs links to vinyl releases. Please correct me if I got stuff wrong or am missing things.

Filmography of Ennio Morricones scores(in Chronical order):
Most releases are not too difficult or expensive to get.
However I could not find a release on vinyl for:
  • Sette Pistole per I MacGregor
  • Sette Donne per I MacGregor
  • Per Pochi Dollari Ancora
  • Il Giorno Del Giudizio
Wow, cheers Ben! A handy cut-out-and-keep guide, thank you!

And a merry new year :)
By Bezulsqy
You are very welcome.
The hardest part in creating this list was not buying any of the releases... For me it is too early to start spending again.
It also poses a collector's conundrum for me. Of course I want all releases in this list. But in the end I want all Morricone releases of course. And do I want all western scores? Like I want all giallo scores. And all Japanese soundtrack releases. And all Death Waltz Recording Company releases. And all Ondes Positives releases.
Where to put the focus?
By Dollarhyde
@bez, great list.
There was a beast of an online database, which I now cannot find :P, that covered all of Morricone's output. I think it was called "chi-mai.net" or ".com" maybe it was renamed or moved somewhere.
By deafmetal
Wow, @Bez, kicking off 2018 with an excellent new thread. The Morricone rabbit hole goes deep, and I am not familiar with a number of these. I have Death Rides a Horse on my Christmas wish list, and still waiting to see what shows up. ;) I bid on a white label test pressing of The Hills Run Red on ebay just a few weeks ago that I ended up losing, but the standard pressing seems relatively easy to find in the US. The hunt for Morricone westerns is endless, especially with some of these having never been released before.

I will always say that The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is my all-time favorite, but every time I listen to Once Upon a Time in the West, I have to revisit that decision.
By Mateo Sanboval
lazyben wrote:You made me go check, I have 200 apparently.
God bless you.

PS - Don't forget about his score for Hateful Eight. Not spaghetti of course, but a western to be certain.
By Bezulsqy
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
lazyben wrote:You made me go check, I have 200 apparently.
God bless you.

PS - Don't forget about his score for Hateful Eight. Not spaghetti of course, but a western to be certain.
You are right of course @Mateo. I am going to chance the title to spaghetti westerns for now. When I have more time I'll check to see if there are more westerns he scored next to The Hateful Eight.
By deafmetal
Jimmy_Mike wrote:Any thoughts on whether to go with decca or third man?
I have not heard the Decca pressing, but I have the Third Man 2LP and it's a treat. Solid black wax with a really clean sound, and the soft-touch tri-fold sleeve is very impressive in hand.
By Mateo Sanboval
deafmetal wrote:
Jimmy_Mike wrote:Any thoughts on whether to go with decca or third man?
I have not heard the Decca pressing, but I have the Third Man 2LP and it's a treat. Solid black wax with a really clean sound, and the soft-touch tri-fold sleeve is very impressive in hand.
Seconded.