Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
After listening to some 2017 DWRC releases I am thinking of what this year meant to me soundtrack wise.

It seems that this year for me started really slowly soundtrack wise. Most 2017 releases I bought in the second half. And most purchases were releases from other years. DWRC released the records I wanted most. Waxwork had some great packages but did not do it for me this year. Looking forward to their releases for next year though.
The beginning of the year was the end of One Way Static's Static Club and they become part of Tidal Wave. I do miss that club. They re-issued some of their back catalog this year and put out some interesting (but maybe not for everyone) Popol Vuh releases.
Invada records-talk was little on the board. I see the last post was in February.
Very happy to finally get Akira through Milan!
We also got to see some great artwork by Real Gone Music... and terrific customer service (and interesting announcements) by Pure Destructive Records.
Going over the New Release Thread I am seeing a lot I also wanted. But you can't get it all. I do know that November and December were insane...

Here my shortlist in random order.

- most DWRC releases did it for me. Top marks for:
* Nightmare on Elm Street Box
* La Bestia Nello Spazio
* The Case Of The Scorpion's Tail

- other labels:
* Basket Case (Terror Vision)
* Darkman (Waxwork Records)
* The Thing (deluxe version - Waxwork Records)
* Suspiria Box 40th Anniversary Edition (Ultra-Limited Peacock Version) (Cinevox)
* Symphonic Suite Akira (Milan)

- special mention for the cassette releases on Spun Out Of Control. 9 (if I counted correctly) fantastic releases this year.
By texasvinyl
Predator
Exorcist
Bay of Blood
Contra III
Batman Returns
Afro Discoteca

Were maybe a few of my favorites this year.
By Tron4Life
Here are favourites of the year in random order:

Max Richter - Taboo (Deutsche Grammophon)
Angelo Badalamenti, Various - Twin Peaks (Limited Event Series Soundtrack/Rhino Records)
Ennio Morricone - Lolita (WeMe Records)
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - Mars (National Geographic Original Series Soundtrack/Milan Records)
Max Richter - Nosedive (Deutsche Grammophon)
Abel Korzeniowski - Penny Dreadful (Music From The Showtime Original Series/Varese Sarabande)
Mica Levi - Jackie (Milan)
Thomas Newman - Passengers (Music On Vinyl)
By reddye6
I always feel a little weird posting my end-year releases before the year is over. What I get something mind-blowing tomorrow? Everything will be for nought!

Anyway, these were some of my favorites for the year, soundtrack and non-soundtrack:

Ennio Morricone - Un Uomo Da Rispettare OST LP
Grails - Chance Hymnal LP + 7”
Paul Weller - Jawbone OST LP
Isotopes - 1994 World Series Champions LP
Scuba Death - The Worm at the Core LP
Swans - Deliquescence 2-CDs
Alkis Livathinos - Hue OST 2-LPs
Hiroshi Yoshimura - Music for Nine Post Cards LP
Husker Du - Savage Young Du LP box set
Pyrit - UFO LP
Mac Quayle - Mr. Robot: Volume 3 Soundtrack 2-LPs
By Hatter313
In no particular order:

Suspiria reissue from DW

the exorcist from WW

Darkman from Ww

The thing from ww (hell of year for Kevin and the gang)

Box of souls mondo/DW

Batman returns from mondo

Creepshow 2 from ww

Alien 4lp from mondo

The blackcoats daughter from DW

LA WITCH debut album from suicide squeeze

The plethora of twin peaks related releases in conjunction with the new season, including both the score and soundtrack, windswept by Johnny jewel, the Trouble 7” from sacred bones, and the as yet unreleased on wax ambient sounds also from sacred bones

John carpenter anthology from sacred bones
By Spun out of control
Thanks for the shout out @Bez. That's correct, 9 album releases on cassette for 2017, phew! :)

Some of my own favourites of 2017 that fall under the film score, soundscapes and associated soundtrack-like releases:

Hannah Peel: Mary Casio - Journey to Cassiopeia
A Winged Victory For The Sullen: Iris
Mica Levi: Jackie
Abel Korzeniowski: Nocturnal Animals
The The: Radio Cineola Trilogy
Simon James: Akiha Den Den
Polypores: The Impossibility
Bernard Parmegiani: Rock
The Radiophonic Workshop: Burials in Several Earths
Fabio Frizzi: The Picture in the House

.... plus countless releases bearing the names Morricone, Nicolai and assorted Italian composers of library and giallo-based music, too numerous to mention.
Attachments
Spun Out Of Control cassette albums 2017 copy.jpg
Spun Out Of Control cassette albums 2017 copy.jpg (912.23 KiB) Viewed 4190 times
By ChrisMcQueen007
2017 was a really strong year (again) for scores and other (re)releases - here are my favourites:

Popol Vuh - Cobra Verde (OWS): I actually wanted to buy an OG of this as it can still be found for a reasonable price so didn‘t go for the OWS for RSD. But my local record store still had this a couple of weeks ago so I went for the colored vinyl (which sounds very good). In addition, the OWS has the better sleeve art/image and a nice insert. The music is just wonderfully relaxing and is probably my favourite PV just after Aguirre.

Philippe Sarde - Les Choses de la Vie (Transversales Disques): A little sad - but just so beautiful. Need to rewatch the film, one of the best performances by Romy S (and arguably the best by Michel Piccoli).

Daniele Patucchi - Wild Beasts (DW): DW put out some nice lesser known gems this year. Can‘t really say why but this is my favourite of the lot and I found it strangely accessible at once (still struggling a bit with Beast in Space). Eclectic in the most positive sense.

Ennio Morricone - John Carpenter's The Thing (WW): Caved in and bought the deluxe, was well worth it. Best packaging in 2017 imo.

Stefano Mainetti - Zombi 3 (WRWTFWW): Great mix of dark analogue synths on side A and cheesy fun on B.

Thelonious Monk ‎– Les Liaisons Dangereuses (SAM): Everything what is good about Jazz in film. Nice to be able to be listening to this presumed lost score.

Brian Eno ‎– Another Green World (Virgin EMI): The music world would be different and less diverse without Eno. The halfspeed reissue sounds incredible.

Midori Takada - Through The Looking Glass (WRWTFWW): Wonderful.

Stelvio Cipriani - Un'Ombra Nell'Ombra (Four Flies): Can‘t put together a best of list without something from Stelvio.

Harry Bromley Davenport - Xtro (PDR / That‘s Entertainment): Bought an OG when this was already announced by PDS, was not patient enough to wait, so I’m cheating a little here. This has everything what makes vintage analogue soundscapes so enthralling.
By ScoJo
My top picks from '17 - particularly exciting stuff from new/upcoming labels! (Sorry, could only get it down to 15x essentials for 'new' and 20x 'reissues'!)

NEW:

Le Lac Des Mortes Vivants (Superior bis/Omega Productions)
Basil Kirchin is my Friend (Trunk)
Les Chemins du Katmandou (Finders Keepers)
Wind River (Invada)
Black Mirror: Men Against Fire (Invada)
Halt and Catch Fire (Fire Records)
Akademia Pana Kleksa (GAD)
Prevenge (Invada)
Black Mirror: San Junipero (Invada)
The Moomins (Finders Keepers)
Visitors from the Galaxy (Fox & His Friends)
The Blackcoat's Daughter (Death Waltz)
Island of Death (At War with False Noise)
Wizards (Wyrd War)

REISSUES / NEW TO VINYL:

Double Exposure: Music from Ghost in the Shell (Italians Do It Better)
Le Choses de la Vie (Transversales Disques)
Alien (Mondo)
Suspiria (Death Waltz)
Fire, Walk With Me (Warners)
Case of the Scorpion's Tail (Death Waltz)
Tomb of Dracula (Chat Noir)
The Thing (Waxwork)
True Romance (Enjoy the Ride)
Day the Earth Stood Still (Satellite)
Christine (Varese Sarabande)
Un'Ombra Nell'Ombra (Four Flies)
Contagion (Real Gone Music)
Escape From LA (Real Gone Music)
Quatermass and the Pit (Both Orchestral/Electronic Scores) (Silva Screen)
Creepshow 2 (Waxwork)
5th Element (Mondo)
Ghost in the Shell (WRWTFWW)
Basket Case (Terrorvision)
Notturno (AMS)
By chiefbrody
That's a comprehensive list @ScoJo. I'll just put it out there that I miss hearing your regular recommendations on the DFN (not meant in any to be a negative re: Tony).

It's been a quieter year for me, but here are my highlights (soundtrack, soundtrack-y and non-soundtrack), in no order:

The Thing
Escape from LA
Fire Walk with Me (Warner reissue)
Halt & Catch Fire
Moomins
MAINE - V (probably my favourite new music on the list)
Pentagram Home Video - The Satanic Path
Wojciech Golczewski - The Signal
Hannah Peel - Mary Casio (maybe tied with MAINE)
Phoebe Bridgers - Stranger in the Alps
Aldous Harding - Party
Slowdive-Slowdive
Beck - Colors
Big Thief - Capacity
Twin Peaks (music from)
By ScoJo
chiefbrody wrote:That's a comprehensive list @ScoJo. I'll just put it out there that I miss hearing your regular recommendations on the DFN (not meant in any to be a negative re: Tony).
That's right nice of you to say, @chief. On rainy, misbegotten afternoons I do miss the old DFC...

Nice list by the way!
By maxlevel
Had some belters this year, I think the top ones are:

The Thing
Akira
Anomaly on Meadow Lane
Evil Dead 2
Twin Peaks 2017
By NathanLurker
In no particular order, I think my favorite vinyl releases this year were :

-Geinoh Yamashirogumi - Akira Symphonic Suite 2LP, Milan
-Jerry Goldsmith - Alien (Complete Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) 4LP, Mondo
-Konami Kukeiha Club - Contra III: The Alien Wars - Original Video Game Soundtrack LP, Mondo
-Christopher Young - Hellraiser (Original Motion Picture Score) LP, Death Waltz Recording Company
-Ennio Morricone - John Carpenter's The Thing LP Dlx, Waxwork Records
-Metavari - Metropolis (An Original Re-Score) 2xLP, One Way Static Records
-Akira Yamaoka - Silent Hill (Original Video Game Soundtrack) 2LP, Mondo
-Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek: The Motion Picture 2LP, La-La Land Records
-Goblin - Suspiria - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack LP, Death Waltz Recording
-Ulver - The Assassination Of Julius Caesar LP, House Of Mythology

Also, special mention to the Stranger Things boxset from Invada. I'm not sure that fits as a 2017 release. the 2 volumes were available in 2016...
By Hatter313
I keep looking over everyone’s lists and face palming about ones I forgot to add...this has been an amazing year for our little niche.
By Steve Powder
I before hand think it's been a quiet year, for me at least. There has been some heavy heavy weights last year in the library and a bit on the soundtrack front, much less this year. But on the other hand I have discovered so much great new music this year, like, Sophia Loizou with the album Singulacra as an example. And of course discoveries on here.

second hand/2017/ in no order

AEOC - Les stances A sophie
Edward Vesala - Heavy Life - really recommend this, surprised me. (finnish jazz record)
Sanders - Karma
Kirchin - Wildlife
Tim Maia - 1970 - B-side is heaven.
By Bezulsqy
Hatter313 wrote:I keep looking over everyone’s lists and face palming about ones I forgot to add...this has been an amazing year for our little niche.
I have the same feeling. A lot of releases passed me by for unknown reasons and know they went on my wish list. The next six months I am going to try to take it easy. Need to save up now for all the releases for Mondocon 5 :-)
By Dollarhyde
Bezulsqy wrote:
Hatter313 wrote:I keep looking over everyone’s lists and face palming about ones I forgot to add...this has been an amazing year for our little niche.
I have the same feeling. A lot of releases passed me by for unknown reasons and know they went on my wish list. The next six months I am going to try to take it easy. Need to save up now for all the releases for Mondocon 5 :-)
Currently compiling a top ten list of releases I didn't pick up :D
seriously, I bought very few new releases this year. May well grab a bunch of these in the next month or so.

Also did anyone else check dj Alfonso's best of 2017 DFC podcast. Well worth checking!
By vinyljunkie
My list of 2017 faves in the soundtrack/score world... so much great stuff!

A Ghost Story - Daniel Hart
Raw - Jim Williams
The Blackcoat's Daughter - Elvis Perkins
Stranger Things 2 - Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein
The Handmaid's Tale - Adam Taylor
Mad Max/Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - Morricone Youth
Breathing - Electric Youth
Loving Vincent - Clint Mansell
Windswept - Johnny Jewel
Twin Peaks Original Score & Soundtrack - Angelo Badalamenti & Various Artists
It Comes at Night - Brian Mcomber
Master of None Season 2 - Various Artists