Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

Solaris is incredible. I believe I owned three different pressings. Thanks for posting this list, ScoJ; I can't wait to get stuck in.
By ScoJo
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Solaris is incredible. I believe I owned three different pressings
Same here man - though incredibly I have 5! Inc an OG which is possibly the pride of my humble collection.

@spun - you won't regret it.
By reddye6
ScoJo wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Solaris is incredible. I believe I owned three different pressings
Same here man - though incredibly I have 5! Inc an OG which is possibly the pride of my humble collection.

Triple recommended. I love Eduard Artemyev: Solaris, The Mirror, Stalker -- all are great.
reddye6 wrote:
ScoJo wrote:

Triple recommended. I love Eduard Artemyev: Solaris, The Mirror, Stalker -- all are great.
I've only one Stalker, but you know I love that'n, too.
By deafmetal
reddye6 wrote:Triple recommended. I love Eduard Artemyev: Solaris, The Mirror, Stalker -- all are great.
This thread is already excellent -- if only to keep recommending the collaborations of Tarkovsky and Artemyev to anybody who is reading. Life-changing material...
By ScoJo
I'm sure I posted these here before - apologies if so, just thought you might be interested :) The original Columbia Japan from '78 also slipped through my hands a few times, that's also the later re-recording with sleeve the same as the last Mirumir reissue at the bottom:

15338205198_2480c561da_z.jpg
15338205198_2480c561da_z.jpg (252.25 KiB) Viewed 4709 times
SOLARIS (1979, 'Melodiya' - actually fake label bootleg. USSR.) Re-recording.
15338206508_fa45ea7256_z.jpg
15338206508_fa45ea7256_z.jpg (186.39 KiB) Viewed 4709 times
SOLARIS, MIRROR, STALKER (1990, Torso Kino. Greece.) Re-recordings.
15338264087_c56f59d0f5_z.jpg
15338264087_c56f59d0f5_z.jpg (877.49 KiB) Viewed 4709 times
SOLARIS (2013, Superior Viaduct. USA.) Original Recording.
15338210188_64f67b6790_z.jpg
15338210188_64f67b6790_z.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 4709 times
SOLARIS (2013, Mirumir. RUSSIA) Original Recording.
15524875035_df7dc85567_z.jpg
15524875035_df7dc85567_z.jpg (204.32 KiB) Viewed 4709 times
SOLARIS (2013, Mirumir. RUSSIA) Re-recording.
By reddye6
There is also this Japanese CD release, which is also good: HERE. In addition to this and The Mirror/Stalker, this label also released CD versions of Tarkovsky's "Ivanovo" and "Andrey Rublyov."
By ScoJo
reddye6 wrote:There is also this Japanese CD release, which is also good: HERE. In addition to this and The Mirror/Stalker, this label also released CD versions of Tarkovsky's "Ivanovo" and "Andrey Rublyov."
Yeah, I had that CD at one time, before any of the vinyl editions. Same re-recordings you find on all Cd+lp editions previous to the 2013 Superior Viaduct release. I like the track Dedication to Tarkovsky very much, worth having any of the releases which have it just for that IMO.
Spun out of control wrote:Er, OK chaps... (lovely to look at those sleeves @ScoJo) so which is the definitive version to seek out for this, do we reckon?
If you can sort an OG for a reasonable price, do it, but I personally favor the Superior Viaduct pressing. Mine is quiet as a mouse and it can be had really cheap. Including direct from them for $20 before shipping.
By ScoJo
To add to what @mateo sayeth.... I would rec'd either the Superior Viaduct (you can choose from three diff sleeves too!) or the gatefold Mirumir with OG Russian poster sleeve - these are the first time Solaris original film recording was issued on any format, all previous to this were the later re-recording (late 70s).

However, to complicate slightly - I actually like that version too and both SV and Mirumir re-issued THAT version as well! (The SV has a black photo sleeve and the MM has sleeve from the OG Jap edition from '78 - see last one in my above pics...) IMO this is also very much worth getting at some point.

Hope that helps :)
ScoJo wrote:To add to what @mateo sayeth.... I would rec'd either the Superior Viaduct (you can choose from three diff sleeves too!) or the gatefold Mirumir with OG Russian poster sleeve - these are the first time Solaris original film recording was issued on any format, all previous to this were the later re-recording (late 70s).

However, to complicate slightly - I actually like that version too and both SV and Mirumir re-issued THAT version as well! (The SV has a black photo sleeve and the MM has sleeve from the OG Jap edition from '78 - see last one in my above pics...) IMO this is also very much worth getting at some point.

Hope that helps :)
Yep, that's super important information actually. There are re-recordings and original recordings (which I now see Scoj annotated his pictures with) and they are both unique experiences in their own right. I'm still sticking with my recommendation of the original score on SV, but I've gotten good mileage out of the 2013 Mirumir as well. Now if anyone wants to part with the actual OG Japanese pressing, I'm only a PM away.
By maxlevel
I love that SV reissue, not actually heard the other ones...

Is last house on the left a synth soundtrack? I’m listening to it and it’s all pretty folky guitars.

Edit - scratch that, it totally is synth
By ScoJo
maxlevel wrote:I love that SV reissue, not actually heard the other ones...

Is last house on the left a synth soundtrack? I’m listening to it and it’s all pretty folky guitars.

Edit - scratch that, it totally is synth
Hahaha...love this ;)
By ScoJo
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote:@ScoJo/Mateo: And re Artemiev - which is the version of 'Stalker' to get? Superior Viaduct, Mirumir? Is there even an OG?
Hey Chris - What a minefield! Both SV and MM each put out two completely different versions of the Stalker/Mirror OST on vinyl in 2013...both the original film soundtracks (for first time ever) and reissues of the re-recordings (the Torso-Kino LP above which was Netherlands/Greece only, and all the subsequent CD releases of those scores)

So the 'Torso' qualifies as an OG from 1990 but it's the late 70s re-recording.

This is the Mirumir 2013 LP with original soundtrack:

https://www.discogs.com/Edward-Artemiev ... se/6299694

This is the same source, SV version - I have both and they're equally great pressings tbh, take your pick depending on sleeve preference/price (the Mirumir has a very nice sleeve and says 'colour vinyl' on sticker but is actually black wax, the SV is a gatefold and pretty great too):

https://www.discogs.com/Eduard-Artemiev ... se/5671290

Here's the SV re-issue of the Torso LP of re-recordings:

https://www.discogs.com/Edward-Artemiev ... 7584?ev=rr
Thanks for the comprehensive explanation, ScoJo - all clear to me now.

While trying to sort out this question myself, I (too) quickly dismissed the Mirumir 2013 because of the sleeve . Now having taken a closer look and also clicked through the images from the discogs entry you posted, I got how cool this must look - so I'll try to get hold of that one (as I want the original score rather than the re-recording and I now would prefer this sleeve to the SV gatefold).
By ScoJo
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote:Thanks for the comprehensive explanation, ScoJo - all clear to me now.

While trying to sort out this question myself, I (too) quickly dismissed the Mirumir 2013 because of the sleeve . Now having taken a closer look and also clicked through the images from the discogs entry you posted, I got how cool this must look - so I'll try to get hold of that one (as I want the original score rather than the re-recording and I now would prefer this sleeve to the SV gatefold).
Your welcome man. That's a sweet edition in my book.