Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By jgibbs4053
Not sure if I or anyone else has asked this on here, but does anyone have a preference of which copy of Suspiria they prefer? I know its frowned upon but i still do not own a copy of it. Just didnt want to shell out for a poor sounding copy.
By monsterworship
I didn't know of any bad pressings of Suspiria.

I would just avoid the picture disc. Reading on discogs appears that the Dagored pressing might have some issues.

I would stick with the newer AMS / Cinevox or any early original pressing.

I have the 1977 Canadian pressing on Attic, which i love for the alternate artwork, it sounds great.
I also have the 2010 purple version from AMS which has the cool pop up gatefold. Also sounds fine.
By NathanLurker
I have the black vinyl from AMS, also sounds good. I can't compare to other editions though, but the whole batch of AMS re-released Goblins from 2010 to 2014 sound good to me (although there's one track on their Zombi/Dawn of the Dead re-release that's shorter than on other editions if I remember correctly).
By Mateo Sanboval
I have the same one as Nathan and mine sounds grand as well. Though I own a few others, it's really the only Goblin I spin on the regular. A ridiculously good score.
By NathanLurker
Mateo Sanboval wrote:I have the same one as Nathan and mine sounds grand as well. Though I own a few others, it's really the only Goblin I spin on the regular. A ridiculously good score.
Their best for sure ! I also spin 'Contamination' often enough. I think the Suspiria 4K restauration is showing at the Fantasia Film Festival this summer, if so, I'll definitely try to see it again, great film !
By Mateo Sanboval
NathanLurker wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:I have the same one as Nathan and mine sounds grand as well. Though I own a few others, it's really the only Goblin I spin on the regular. A ridiculously good score.
Their best for sure ! I also spin 'Contamination' often enough. I think the Suspiria 4K restauration is showing at the Fantasia Film Festival this summer, if so, I'll definitely try to see it again, great film !
Yep, really looking forward to the ever-upcoming Synapse BD. The screen caps look truly stunning.
By Hatter313
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
NathanLurker wrote:
Yep, really looking forward to the ever-upcoming Synapse BD. The screen caps look truly stunning.
Careful there Mateo.....you don't want the insanity that is the bluray.com Suspiria forum coming here. hahaha
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote:Careful there Mateo.....you don't want the insanity that is the bluray.com Suspiria forum coming here. hahaha
By Hatter313
i read it every day....just in case they make a sale announcement in between the shouting
By Bezulsqy
Hatter313 wrote:i read it every day....just in case they make a sale announcement in between the shouting
If they do, please let us know :-)
By Hatter313
hahaha oh I will.
By NathanLurker
I'm in line now for the showing of the remastered Suspiria that plays in 1h at the Fantasia Film Festival :) it has the 4.0 sound mix too. Apparently it has not been heard since the original theatrical release. It's the last of 19 movies I went to see this year and a great way to end my run at the festival.
By Mateo Sanboval
NathanLurker wrote:I'm in line now for the showing of the remastered Suspiria that plays in 1h at the Fantasia Film Festival :) it has the 4.0 sound mix too. Apparently it has not been heard since the original theatrical release. It's the last of 19 movies I went to see this year and a great way to end my run at the festival.
Standing by for some notes, Nathan.
By NathanLurker
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Standing by for some notes, Nathan.

It was great ! The main thing I thought about it is that the sound mix was good. I could definitely hear better in that first scene when the character of Pat hingle (the first victim, who ends up hanging in the beginning) is talking in the doorway about the flowers. Obviously you can't hear everything because it was made so you couldn't hear the sentence yet, but you can hear better the few syllables that you're supposed to hear there. And that soundtrack !! boy in the theater does it sound good ! gave me chills in a few scenes !

About the picture, it looks better for sure. I didn't realize how much when I was in the theater, but I just arrived home and watched a clip from my special edition 2 discs DVD from blue underground, and I can say that my impression is that the colors have better levels on the restored version. At the end when Suzy discover Helena Markos, and is approaching the bed with the big needle. there's a flash of red light that washes over Suzy and it saturates her face, loosing definition of her facial features. In the restored version, you can see way better every things that are bathed in the colored lights.

There's also more color in the shadows. When suzy is running away from the shattering school at the very end, she goes down the stairs, a tree hits the windows.... in that scene, there's more blue on the walls that there is on my DVD. It might just be an impression but I do feel that there's more color in the shadows and more definition in the lights. Better levels... maybe a wider spectrum of color tints...

The audience responded very well, laughing in some instances, like when Pavlo smiled, and cheering when Suzy killed the Bat... it was great !
By Mateo Sanboval
That sounds like a fantastic time, Nathan! Thanks for sharing your impressions, mang. I'm really looking forward to this mysterious release. I've not watched it in years in anticipation of seeing the remastered version with the freshest eyes possible.
By ChrisMcQueen007
Sounds awesome, Nathan. Thanks for sharing. I'm also very much looking forward to the Synapse BR.
While it's nice to have all these (smaller and bigger) cult movies from the 70ties and 80ties available with great transfers and extra material I choose carefully which movies I buy/upgrade nowerdays. That being said, Suspiria is an absolute no-brainer.
By subwayslim
I saw the uncut 35mm Italian print last week and I was amazed. I've seen Suspiria in all formats and this showing was like seeing a new film. Right before Sara is slashed with the razor in the hallway you could see glowing eyes in the background similar to the first murder. I haven't seen that in any other version! If that 35mm print comes your way check it out it is insane!
By Red Goblin
subwayslim wrote:I saw the uncut 35mm Italian print last week and I was amazed. I've seen Suspiria in all formats and this showing was like seeing a new film. Right before Sara is slashed with the razor in the hallway you could see glowing eyes in the background similar to the first murder. I haven't seen that in any other version! If that 35mm print comes your way check it out it is insane!
I noticed that detail the first time I saw the movie in 1977. My cousin did not believe me, so we made a bet and went to see the movie together. Of course I won. But he argued that it was a wrong shot, a mistake and I said that Argento did it on purpose. When I read the original screenplay a few decades later, I got the confirmation that I was right!
By Mateo Sanboval
subwayslim wrote:I saw the uncut 35mm Italian print last week and I was amazed. I've seen Suspiria in all formats and this showing was like seeing a new film. Right before Sara is slashed with the razor in the hallway you could see glowing eyes in the background similar to the first murder. I haven't seen that in any other version! If that 35mm print comes your way check it out it is insane!
This is incredibly heartening.
Red Goblin wrote: I noticed that detail the first time I saw the movie in 1977. My cousin did not believe me, so we made a bet and went to see the movie together. Of course I won. But he argued that it was a wrong shot, a mistake and I said that Argento did it on purpose. When I read the original screenplay a few decades later, I got the confirmation that I was right!
That is a fantastic anecdote.
By monsterworship
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
This is incredibly heartening.
Red Goblin wrote: I noticed that detail the first time I saw the movie in 1977. My cousin did not believe me, so we made a bet and went to see the movie together. Of course I won. But he argued that it was a wrong shot, a mistake and I said that Argento did it on purpose. When I read the original screenplay a few decades later, I got the confirmation that I was right!
That is a fantastic anecdote.

I get this is January. can't wait.

Also I believe this is the same transfer/print that will be coming out on blu-ray from Synapse.
By Hatter313
So there seems to be two prints touring right now, the rediscovered 35mm Italian uncut (which I'm getting at my local Alamo in September I think) AND Don May Jr's synapse restoration, which of course has only added the to debate on how it should look. Personally the synapse restoration looks incredible and I can't wait to see it.
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote:So there seems to be two prints touring right now, the rediscovered 35mm Italian uncut (which I'm getting at my local Alamo in September I think) AND Don May Jr's synapse restoration, which of course has only added the to debate on how it should look. Personally the synapse restoration looks incredible and I can't wait to see it.
Good, good. There really wasn't enough controversy surrounding this film and its various releases. I'm glad someone stepped in to remedy that.
By Hatter313
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
Hatter313 wrote:So there seems to be two prints touring right now, the rediscovered 35mm Italian uncut (which I'm getting at my local Alamo in September I think) AND Don May Jr's synapse restoration, which of course has only added the to debate on how it should look. Personally the synapse restoration looks incredible and I can't wait to see it.
Good, good. There really wasn't enough controversy surrounding this film and its various releases. I'm glad someone stepped in to remedy that.

it's the 40th anniversary, and we will celebrate with conflict and anticipation...CONFLICT AND ANTICI....PATION
By Hatter313
well that was a relief. don't have to bother reading those forums again haha