Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By vi_resmusic
I occasionally entertain the idea of making a mix tape of main themes from classic cult horror films.

I always think that Suspiria should be the opening track but I can never decide what should follow. So lately I started thinking that it would be cool to have a play list that was decided upon by people who also enjoy film music. It might be fun to have a kind of STBC user curation and compilation thread. If enough people are interested, we could have a voting system to decide on what should be included. I guess the final product would be an official list of tracks. Is anyone interested in doing this for a bit of fun?
By Mateo Sanboval
vi_resmusic wrote:I occasionally entertain the idea of making a mix tape of main themes from classic cult horror films.

I always think that Suspiria should be the opening track but I can never decide what should follow. So lately I started thinking that it would be cool to have a play list that was decided upon by people who also enjoy film music. It might be fun to have a kind of STBC user curation and compilation thread. If enough people are interested, we could have a voting system to decide on what should be included. I guess the final product would be an official list of tracks. Is anyone interested in doing this for a bit of fun?
Sounds great. I love doing this kind of thing. I have two good buddies and once or twice a year someone fires off a text that says "70s hard rock" (for example) and then we three take turns naming songs until a suitable playlist has been compiled. Sometimes we just name our favorite tunes and sometimes we follow another's lead and go off on musical tangents we never saw coming at the outset. And the best part, of course, is listening to the tunes.
By vi_resmusic
Awesome Mateo! Ultimately,I know that I personally will make a physical tape for myself to play if the project happens. I was thinking of possibly having a final thread that includes: the final official list. The required cassette length and possibly a graphic of a printable tape cover - for people to make their own tapes.
By chiefbrody
Love the idea @vi-res. I've been thinking recently about playlists culled from scores. I listen to scores in their entirety, and never mix. Just a suggestion - we could start shouting out random tracks, and use the 'long list' for voting.
By vi_resmusic
Good stuff Chief! By all means start throwing titles down. I know what you mean about complete scores but I often wonder how themes would stack up next to each other as stand alone music. When I was a kid I had a 2x cassette release that was called Televisions greatest hits. It had "all the classics". It was absolutely fucking ridiculous to listen to as it jumped from one main theme to another but in itself offered a uniquely weirdly enjoyable xperience. I think it actually charted well here (Australia) too.

Jesus I haven't remembered this in ages. And yep,off I go to hunt it down immediately.
By Mateo Sanboval
vi_resmusic wrote:Here it is!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/142362517947
That's hilarious. We definitely had comps like this Stateside. And it reminds me of some great bootleg tapes that I have.
Four cassettes of nothing but themes, cuts, and cues from various horror scores. Fantastic stuff.
By Dollarhyde
This is a great idea totally up for something like this. I remember doing similar things on the old vinyl vulture/VG+ forum.
That was a cd swap though, copying 50 odd cds was a bitch :D however you got 50 different cds back.

I like @vi_res' idea of all contributing to one comp though, maybe the final cut could be shared via Dropbox or soundcloud.

I have entertained a similar idea but synth score based.

Also if enough people were interested I have a lunatic idea of putting together an anime/tokusatsu vocal theme marathon mix ;P
By deafmetal
I also really like this type of compilation project. As @Mateo posted, The Sound of Fear tapes are a great example. Those first two were released even before DW001 hit the shelves. ;) Also, here is another diamond in the rough should you ever come across a copy.

Anyway, I really like the collaborative list idea. If we are focused on "cult" then I should skip Herrmann's Psycho, but would offer up Richard Band's Re-Animator main theme. It's always bouncing around in my head...
By vi_resmusic
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
vi_resmusic wrote:Here it is!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/142362517947
That's hilarious. We definitely had comps like this Stateside. And it reminds me of some great bootleg tapes that I have.
Four cassettes of nothing but themes, cuts, and cues from various horror scores. Fantastic stuff.

I have seen the first two. What are they?
By vi_resmusic
deafmetal wrote:I also really like this type of compilation project. As @Mateo posted, The Sound of Fear tapes are a great example. Those first two were released even before DW001 hit the shelves. ;) Also, here is another diamond in the rough should you ever come across a copy.

Anyway, I really like the collaborative list idea. If we are focused on "cult" then I should skip Herrmann's Psycho, but would offer up Richard Band's Re-Animator main theme. It's always bouncing around in my head...
We will need to discuss and decide upon the criterion.
That's very interesting. I fealt that Re-Animator theme was awkwardly close to Psycho theme. It's law suit close. Edit: Here's another piece that loves Psycho...https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DU_ggFovJNo
By Hatter313
Richard Band has a lot to say about the psycho theme and reanimator. short version is, he always meant it as an homage, but the "inspired by hermann" credit he wanted in there didn't make it in and he's had to fight a lot of flack for it because of it. his liner notes in the intrada release go into it in more detail, but yeah Law suit close isn't far from the truth at all.
By vi_resmusic
@Hatter. That makes sense. I watched Re-An recently for the first time in a few decades and wondered what was happening but didn't look into it any further. It's such a shame to receive back lash for making statements through art,particularly for the sentiment of homage.

Edit: So it's a nomination for Re-Animator by Richard Band. I've also placed an order for an affordable Spanish pressing.