Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By vi_resmusic
I like all available formats including D/L. I'm choosing to embrace CD for financial and availability reasons too. More formats means more audio equipment and more audio equipment means happiness.
By chiefbrody
Mateo, I was referring to the score (I seem to recall his Oscar being questioned - I'd say his lack of Oscars is the real puzzler), but I think the same could apply to the film. I enjoyed both, but I think they split opinion and were perhaps considered by some to be 'lesser' works of EM and QT. I'm obviously generalising here, nothing scientific!

I loved that Third Man Records sleeve too. Worth double dipping for.
By Mateo Sanboval
Gotcha, Chief. I hadn't heard that about Morricone's score, but that's bullshit. It's a good'n. Don't much care about Oscar chatter, but I can certainly recall worse offenses than his award. As for the flick, I can't recall a QT film that didn't divide opinions outside of Pulp Fiction, but I like The Hateful Eight, too.
By chiefbrody
This is better than I remembered it to be. A bit dreamy. The only Ortolani I have, other than Cannibal Holocaust, of course.
Attachments
51PhmctGvrL._SS500.jpg
51PhmctGvrL._SS500.jpg (48.16 KiB) Viewed 7357 times
Last edited by chiefbrody on Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By blastman
chiefbrody wrote:This is better than I remembered it to be. A bit dreamy. The only Ortolani I have, other than Cannibal Apocalypse, of course.
I presume you mean Cannibal Holocaust?

So many Cannibals....
By chiefbrody
blastman wrote:
chiefbrody wrote:This is better than I remembered it to be. A bit dreamy. The only Ortolani I have, other than Cannibal Apocalypse, of course.
I presume you mean Cannibal Holocaust?

So many Cannibals....
Straight up I do. So many apocalypses too! Corrected now.

Last pick of the day, I think. I should say that I'm working out of a different office the past two days - unfortunately my working life isn't normally soundtracked...
Attachments
sebastien-tellier-narco-ost-lp.jpg
sebastien-tellier-narco-ost-lp.jpg (48.31 KiB) Viewed 7345 times
By Mateo Sanboval
Sebastien Tellier is pretty great.
By reddye6
One last bit about Simon Fisher Turner that could be of interest to STBC folks. Colin Lloyd Tucker, who was once in The The, and SFT had a side project called Deux Filles, where they pretended that they were two women who created sorrowful and wistful music and then vanished (info at Discogs HERE). This output is quite good as well.
By chiefbrody
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Sebastien Tellier is pretty great.
Truth.

I can't remember who posted it in the vinyl now playing thread, but was glad to pick up on that recommendation. I actually got the vinyl; I was listening to digital yesterday, somewhat bending the rules of the thread.
By Mateo Sanboval
Danny Elfman is just a pseudonym for legendary interactive performing artist (and part time pediatrician) Ronand Bornstein (pictured). Aka Emily Blunt. Aka Danny Elfman. Aka Grover from Sesame Street (the puppet, not the voice). Aka the 1998 Chrysler PT Cruiser. Aka Tina from HR.
By reddye6
deafmetal wrote:@reddye6 - If you remove the "s" from the https:// youtube will embed properly:
Excellent -- thank you!
By bpwlogan
@deaf-who released that CD edition of Maniac? I thought there was a vinyl press with that same cover...I might be wrong though.
By bpwlogan
Ok, I think that's the best cover of the the three releases. That's one really dark score for sure. I'm not too big on horror remakes, but I like what was done with that one.
By Mateo Sanboval
This is a lovely release from La-La Land that came out last November. It has the most complete presentations of Don Ellis' scores for the two French Connection films seen thus far and then tosses in Brad Fiedel's unreleased score for the 80s TV spinoff, Popeye Doyle, for good measure. Ellis'work here is fantastic cinematic jazz music. Music that is sorely needed on vinyl, but, until then, this will more than suffice.
https://www.discogs.com/Don-Ellis-Brad- ... se/9552152
By chiefbrody
I've only listened to this once or twice before. Giving it another 'spin'.
Attachments
a3113119572_10.jpg
a3113119572_10.jpg (403.14 KiB) Viewed 7159 times
By chiefbrody
Such a great score. Someone posted this up on the vinyl now playing thread recently, which pushed me to dig it out again. I'm not aware of Jonathan Snipes doing anything since Starry Eyes?
Attachments
front cover.jpg
front cover.jpg (320.9 KiB) Viewed 7154 times