Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy

I did it!

@scojo: on my iPhone I was able to copy the link behind the gif while tapping on the gif...
I guess on a normal webpage it would be the same as just using the URL and placing it between
By ScoJo
ScoJo wrote:
Bezulsqy wrote: I did it!

@scojo: on my iPhone I was able to copy the link behind the gif while tapping on the gif...
I guess on a normal webpage it would be the same as just using the URL and placing it between
I've tried just pasting url before, but lets try a test with the image you posted:

https://media1.giphy.com/media/LYDNZAzOqrez6/giphy.gif
Nope. Ok, same again but using the Insert Image button:

By ScoJo
ScoJo wrote:
ScoJo wrote:
Bezulsqy wrote: I did it!

I've tried just pasting url before, but lets try a test with the image you posted:

https://media1.giphy.com/media/LYDNZAzOqrez6/giphy.gif
Nope. Ok, same again but using the Insert Image button:

Well goddam!

By ScoJo
@Bez - Thank you sir - it had never occured to me to just right-click and copy image address, I've been trying EVERY OTHER way to get the url.

You're my man of the match, dog :)
By chiefbrody
Great story ScoJo. I love trivia like that.

I can't get a suitable size image of MUSTANG by Warren Ellis. :-)
Last edited by chiefbrody on Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By chiefbrody
A story of my own. When I was younger, my gran used to always be watching films that were totally age-inappropriate (Hellraiser and the like, films about giant spiders). She also watched Creepshow and Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence. For years I conflated the two films, and believed that in Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence, David Bowie was buried up to his chin on sand, and came back from the dead. I'm not sure if either film would have benefitted from this cross-pollination in the real world!
Attachments
mcml_gatefold.jpg
mcml_gatefold.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 7005 times
By Spun out of control
Funny hearing about your grandmother @chief... my own was really into all things horror & superstitious... even down to doing tarot cards and reading tea leaves.

So aged about 11 or so I was watching the Halloween movies on VHS when she was 'looking after' my brother and I... which progressed onto the Amityville series, the House series, Nightmare on Elm Street and, eventually, Re-animator. Imagine watching Re-animator with your gran. Well we did - crazy stuff. Probably why I have a fondness for all this nonsense now :)

CDs... hmm. They don't smell as nice as vinyl either, but they are cheaper. I have a fondness for the silver disks on the Beat.it label and the old Italian scores... though most seem to be getting gradually licensed for vinyl versions
By deafmetal
@chief @Spun - Great gran stories. I have nothing similar to offer, other than my gran giving my youngest uncle a hard time for letting me watch Star Trek II at a very young age, haha. No horror allowed!

Here is my go-to CD right now:
@Spun - I also enjoy those Beat CD's. I saw they just released an expanded Four of the Apocalypse/Silver Saddle split which I need to check out.
By Hatter313
I still have a small army of OST CDs, and occasionally still buy them for stuff thats not available digitally as I do so much of my listening during the commute and at work. Wax is my primary listening format at home, but sometimes i need the little plastic discs to facilitate the iPod :).

Actually just picked up Micheal Smalls "Marathon Man/ Parallax View" on the bay.
By Mateo Sanboval
I listen to a fair bit of ambient and electronic music. Depending on the album (how quiet or delicate the music, track lengths, pressing quality, etc) I often end up with these on CD.
By vi_resmusic
I actually own under 20 CDs.

@deafmetal.

The time has come to buy Christine on CD as it appears that there are no immediate plans to issue
her on vinyl.
By vi_resmusic
ScoJo wrote:@mateo -

Well, there's a bit of back story there...

At the time of the album release for NO JACKET REQUIRED, Mr Phil Collins was embroiled in a bitter legal dispute with the previous owner of a rather snazzy 'whistle' (that's 'whistle and flute', ie. 'suit') which he purchased in an Oxfam charity shop on Bromford High Street in the early 80s. The aforementioned pants n' jacket were sold to Mr C in good faith, for the agreeable sum of £11.50 (and including, free of charge in the inside pocket, an expired membership for Paul Raymond's Revue Bar in Soho) and Paul was informed that the previous owner had recently passed away - the grieving widow had donated her late hubby's clobber to the charitable boutique in question. In an unforseeable twist however, it transpired that the so-called decedent was in fact very much alive and well, and his much put-upon missus had simply snapped one afternoon and, whilst the scoundrel slept off yet another night of debauch in the spare room, gathered the entirety of his attire and marched down to the aforementioned store.
Herr Collins and the de-stiffed, de-pants'ed rogue then entered into a long and bloody legal battle over true ownership of the suit, leading to his penning of the album as a form of catharsis - but in a surprising turn of events, the two eventually became good pals, Phil even renewing his Paul Raymond membership for the chap as a token of no-ill-will.
They decided to split the suit forthwith, with PC obviously winning the coin toss for the top half. What you are seeing in this celebrated image is a tongue-in-cheek spoof of the whole affair, which features the actual grasping arm of the undead fellow in a mock-assailing of the beloved popster.
As an amusing aside, Sussudio is the nickname which El Collins bestowed upon his new-found mucker. It means "topless" in Portugese.

*Taken from "Phil Collins : No, That Jacket IS Required" published in the Dec 1989 edition of Playboy.

I still don't understand why I bought No Jacket Required on vinyl a year ago, I have zero intentions of spinning it and it has very little value here.

I naively assumed that the title might have been a sentiment about cover art.
By Mateo Sanboval
Phil Collins' first two solo albums are straight fire.
By reddye6
I love Simon Fisher Turner. It was his soundtrack to Derek Jarman's "The Garden" that got me interested in film scores -- forcing me to listen more closely to what I was hearing in the theater rather than blowing off the genre as something that was either too bombastic or played emotions too on the sleeve.

One could see Turner's scores as a precursor to the post-classical work of Olafur Arnalds and Peter Broderick, although Turner often brings experimental aspects into his music: field recordings, jagged cuts of noise, sudden changes in musical direction. However, it still has an overall introspective, melancholy feel.

This particular soundtrack has a string quartet that includes Alexander Balenescu, with Turner doing most of the other instruments. I haven't seen this film, so I have no idea how well it works with the visuals, but it's still a beautiful release.
Attachments
IMG_0199.JPG
IMG_0199.JPG (65.44 KiB) Viewed 6937 times
By Mateo Sanboval
This sounds really cool, Red. I'm relatively unfamiliar with Simon Fisher Turner, but I like Olafur Arnalds quite a bit and I really enjoy Peter Broderick so my interest is piqued.
By reddye6
Mateo Sanboval wrote:This sounds really cool, Red. I'm relatively unfamiliar with Simon Fisher Turner, but I like Olafur Arnalds quite a bit and I really enjoy Peter Broderick so my interest is piqued.
Some of his other earlier soundtracks fit the same bill: Caravaggio 1610, The Last of England, Edward II, and Melancholia. However, my most favorite is his work (along with contributions from Brian Eno, Coil, and others) in Derek Jarman's "Blue." The soundtrack is beautiful but devastating. The film itself is just an unwavering color blue (no image) -- what filmmaker Derek Jarman could only see toward the end of his life with this fight with AIDS. The soundtrack is melange of narrative -- bits about his childhood and growing up gay, his body slowly breaking down from the harshness of the medication that he needed to take along with the ravages of AIDS, poetry about the color blue personified. It's more like a radio play. Anyway, the narration and music are a perfect match. You can hear the entire thing on Youtube.
By chiefbrody
Vi-res, you started a thread for a format you have less than 20 albums on? I'm glad you did, I'll be able to contribute more, and it opens up new possibilities.

The Christine score is excellent. I picked up that, Body Bags and In the Mouth of Madness a couple of years ago, as there's no sign they're coming to vinyl. You'd have thought Christine would be a stick-on. A 'deluxe' with the score and soundtrack would be pretty cool.

This morning's first pick. I know it isn't highly regarded by many, but I think it's a good listen, though with QT going against type and having a score, I think the music would have benefitted with losing the dialogue and songs.
Attachments
1922.jpg
1922.jpg (853.99 KiB) Viewed 6917 times
By chiefbrody
Spun, the Beat label is a treasure trove (for the labels too, I think). Their Zombi 2/Cat in the Brain, New Barbarians/Bronx Warriors doublers are regular go-tos for me. I've picked up most of their Frizzi CDs after picking up the DW vinyl, though I preferred to get Frizzi 2 Fulci on CD. I'm not a fan of live albums on vinyl - a show isn't meant to be interrupted every 20 minutes, the way a studio album can have 'sides' (though this is probably less relevant with scores, which aren't sequenced with vinyl in mind?).
Attachments
frizzi-2-fulci.jpg
frizzi-2-fulci.jpg (64.66 KiB) Viewed 6913 times
By Spun out of control
Here's one of my recommended 'best buys' on CD. Think I paid between £30 and £40 for a sealed box set on eBay, considerably cheaper than what a set of vinyl originals may cost, if they can be found (and as lovely as that might be).

I do recall someone on STBC does have this on vinyl, however, the jammy get. ;)

I will say I don't have the emotional attachment to CD as I do vinyl and cassette. But for reasons of finance and practicality (or simply because the music I want isn't available on another format) I do occasionally pick them up.

https://www.discogs.com/Ennio-Morricone ... se/1722122
Attachments
Sound Dimensions Ennio Morricone Bruno Nicolai copy.jpg
Sound Dimensions Ennio Morricone Bruno Nicolai copy.jpg (971.48 KiB) Viewed 6904 times
By chiefbrody
That looks an impressive collection, Spun. I'll add it to my list of things to look out for.

Next up:
Attachments
617rzxcjvmL._SS500.jpg
617rzxcjvmL._SS500.jpg (68.53 KiB) Viewed 6901 times
By Mateo Sanboval
@Red - Thanks for fleshing that out a bit. Fisher Turner is on The List.

@Chief - When you say The Hateful Eight is not "highly regarded by many" are you referring to the film or the score?