Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
chiefbrody wrote:Taking some inspiration from @deaf.

Is it wrong that I've only seen Blade Runner twice, and this might be only the 2nd time I've listened to this CD?
The first step is acknowledging that you have a problem. Then the real work begins. The next eleven steps are listening to Blade Runner.
By maxlevel
Mateo Sanboval wrote:

Is it wrong that I've only seen Blade Runner twice, and this might be only the 2nd time I've listened to this CD?
The first step is acknowledging that you have a problem. Then the real work begins. The next eleven steps are listening to Blade Runner.
Its too bad she won't live... but then again who does?
By Mateo Sanboval
maxlevel wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:

Its too bad she won't live... but then again who does?
By skeletonbutt
LOL, I used to have that one! I think I bought it from Blackest Heart Media in the late '90s. I remember the Gwar cover of the Zombie theme was good.
By bpwlogan
That's pretty cool Evan, love the cover art on that one. I was in junior high the last time I watched the film, and I'll never forget George C. Scott screaming at the empty wheelchair from the bottom of the stare case -"WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?"

I'm sure that CD was a limited press and it's through the roof in cost. I'd drop on a repress if one gets out there.
By EvanCampbell
bpwlogan - same here...I saw it when I was young kid and it left quite an impression. I just checked...it s posted on amazon for around 24 beans!
By chiefbrody
Like the film itself, I feel this has shifted over time from 'lesser' Carpenter to 'classic' Carpenter. Not in my mind, of course, I absolutely loved it since I first saw the film on TV.
Attachments
2edba178cf4b3931ff53ddf40091a5a3.jpg
2edba178cf4b3931ff53ddf40091a5a3.jpg (42.57 KiB) Viewed 7078 times
By ScoJo
not cd. but digital all the same - as it looks unlikely that it will get a release, cody carpenter has put his fine, eerie score for his dad's masters of horror episode 'cigarette burns' up online.

Last edited by ScoJo on Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By tim28212
another one that is screaming for a vinyl release.

monsterworship was trying to get this at one time, not sure whatever came of it.
Attachments
PB241142_zps7bb8d647.jpg
PB241142_zps7bb8d647.jpg (98.34 KiB) Viewed 7054 times
By monsterworship
Funhouse is off the table for me.

hopefully someone with better resources can get it out one day, the studio wasn't interested in accepting new vendors/partners.
By Mateo Sanboval
monsterworship wrote:Funhouse is off the table for me.

hopefully someone with better resources can get it out one day, the studio wasn't interested in accepting new vendors/partners.
That's a bummer, MW. Working on acquisitions like this must take a load resiliency and even more patience.

Here're a few discs that came my way this week:

These two are supposedly nos original issues so that's cool. I got them for a song on Discogs from a good seller I've have worked with before.

This next set is used, yet minty fresh. It's a killer, definitive 2xCD release of every cut and alternate take that Wilbur Harden and John Coltrane recorded for Savoy in the 1950s. It spans the albums Jazz Way Out, Tanganyika Strut, and Mainstream 1958 volumes 1 and 2. They are terrific LPs filled with great music that can still be found in decent condition and at a reasonable price. Everyone interested should check them out. These two made quite a pair. Harden died quite young, but between his turns with Coltrane and Yusef Lateef, he left behind a modest, yet sterling musical legacy.
By deafmetal
@Mateo - Nice picks, I think those TP albums should be in every collection.

Chris' Soundtrack Corner has some neat releases on CD:
The black square crosshairs are actually printed on the jewel case. Interesting vertical design on this one. Also, I'm not sure where else you are going to find this full album other than digital files.
By reddye6
Listened to this on the way to work. I've never seen the movie, although from reading the plot, I have no real desire to (doctor kidnaps a couple and brutally tortures them). Whenever I see the CD in my collection, I always think it'll just be dark ambient, and it does have some of those qualities (echoing dungeon sounds, moans, bass rumbles), but it has more diversity than I always think it will have. Strings, piano interludes, some synth stabs. The score is by Kazuo Sato.
Attachments
IMG_0201.JPG
IMG_0201.JPG (72.52 KiB) Viewed 6984 times
By chiefbrody
Currently listening to Disc 1 (The Film Score). I've never seen this film - any good? I like the score well enough.
Attachments
MI0003956832.jpg
MI0003956832.jpg (64.32 KiB) Viewed 6974 times
By chiefbrody
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Here're a few discs that came my way this week:

These two are supposedly nos original issues so that's cool. I got them for a song on Discogs from a good seller I've have worked with before.

This next set is used, yet minty fresh. It's a killer, definitive 2xCD release of every cut and alternate take that Wilbur Harden and John Coltrane recorded for Savoy in the 1950s. It spans the albums Jazz Way Out, Tanganyika Strut, and Mainstream 1958 volumes 1 and 2. They are terrific LPs filled with great music that can still be found in decent condition and at a reasonable price. Everyone interested should check them out. These two made quite a pair. Harden died quite young, but between his turns with Coltrane and Yusef Lateef, he left behind a modest, yet sterling musical legacy.
@mateo, as I currently live in a world where I can't justify £35 for an LP (exception 'The Thing'), those Twin Peaks CDs are all I have. Beautiful as they are, the DW releases are too expensive for me to double dip. If the talk of standard reissues comes to fruition I may pick them up then.

I expected that Harden/Coltrane set to be pretty inexpensive - amazon UK's cheapest used copy was about £45! I assume your copy was obtained at a significantly smaller cost?
By vi_resmusic
I've changed the title of this thread to include other digitals (see that...)
Take one of these for the inconvenience.
Attachments
IMG_0122.PNG
IMG_0122.PNG (770.35 KiB) Viewed 6973 times
By chiefbrody
Cheers @vi-res. Good idea, as sometimes I felt a fraud claiming to be CD when it was a rip of a CD!

Thanks for the codes - I claimed bz2m-j89m

Now listening to this... See previous comments re: Twin Peaks and limited funds!
Attachments
CS476849-01A-BIG.jpg
CS476849-01A-BIG.jpg (94.19 KiB) Viewed 6970 times
By chiefbrody
Keep meaning to pick up the recent Finders Keepers comp, Magnetic Systems. It's a good time to be an admirer of Frizzi et al
Attachments
614LiL0fokL._SS500.jpg
614LiL0fokL._SS500.jpg (86.57 KiB) Viewed 6966 times
By Mateo Sanboval
@Chief - Mine was quite a bit cheaper. I got it from a US Discogs seller for about $15 shipped. There is another compilation only under Coltrane's name on Lone Hill Jazz/Phoenix Records that contains the same material. I know nothing of those labels and have no idea what the sound quality is like. The sound on the Atlantic/Savoy set is fantastic and it has a great booklet to boot. https://www.discogs.com/John-Coltrane-T ... ter/543188

@Vi-Res - Cheers for the codes, man. This thread of yours has really taken flight. I grabbed pv89-gl9k.
By chiefbrody
Cheers @mateo, I can pick that up much cheaper (£5 used/£10 new).

A record that I know @Scojo has championed on many occasions, and with good cause. This isn't the cover of the CD I have (I couldn't find an image big enough), but it's very much it's superior. The Hired Hand by Bruce Langhorne.
Attachments
a2675673917_10.jpg
a2675673917_10.jpg (178.71 KiB) Viewed 6958 times