Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By deafmetal
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Mine was a little less than $20 shipped. Great, great show.
Agreed, I just dropped the two dimes on this one, and it's going to murder an upcoming Sunday afternoon at deafHQ.
By ScoJo
Current digital listening (unreleased apart from a rare-as-hen's-teeth vinyl boot...)
Screen shot 2018-09-14 at 14.13.08.png
Screen shot 2018-09-14 at 14.13.08.png (614.75 KiB) Viewed 5113 times
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote:Current digital listening (unreleased apart from a rare-as-hen's-teeth vinyl boot...)
Screen shot 2018-09-14 at 14.13.08.png
I had no idea this existed...
By reddye6
Not listening yet, but I found and downloaded some free music from Tom Pierson. He is a classical and jazz composer, and he did the soundtrack to the sci-fi music Quintet. One of the free downloads is "Quintet Music." I'm not sure how well it matches the actual score, but I'm going to be checking it out.
By ScoJo
reddye6 wrote:Not listening yet, but I found and downloaded some free music from Tom Pierson. He is a classical and jazz composer, and he did the soundtrack to the sci-fi music Quintet. One of the free downloads is "Quintet Music." I'm not sure how well it matches the actual score, but I'm going to be checking it out.
Oh shit man, thanks for the tip! I actually really dig that Altman/Newman sci fi flick and love the music, I have it all ripped from the VHS! Im heading over there right now, VERY curious- thanks again bro :)
By reddye6
Glad to help! I have the movie in my Netflix queue -- haven't seen it yet -- but for no particular reason I did a search for the soundtrack list night.
By ScoJo
Yes! That's the movie score alright, and 30secs in I'd say it's the original recording. I might be wrong and it's a very close more recent re-record but I really don't think so.
Thanks again, very jazzed to have this score in non-skronky quality!!
Ps check out the film, it's really great- weird, frost-bitten dystopian stuff with uncharacteristically muted Paul Newman and equally muted Sven Nyquvist photography. It was a box office disaster, btw ;)
By Mateo Sanboval
Cool flick. Thanks for the hot tip on the dl, Reddye.
By Hatter313
Never even heard of this, sounds like one for the watch pile
By ScoJo
ScoJo wrote:Yes! That's the movie score alright, and 30secs in I'd say it's the original recording. I might be wrong and it's a very close more recent re-record but I really don't think so.
Thanks again, very jazzed to have this score in non-skronky quality!!
Ps check out the film, it's really great- weird, frost-bitten dystopian stuff with uncharacteristically muted Paul Newman and equally muted Sven Nyquvist photography. It was a box office disaster, btw ;)
Fyi (and to update on this) - I have purchased a copy of the score from Pierson's Bandcamp, and compared/sync'd the opening of the DVD with the first piece of music. This is definitely the original recordings that were used in the film, the orchestration and mix is identical and you can even hear a fair bit of tape-hiss on these recordings, as though they were pulled straight from the source tapes by the composer (without any further re-mastering...)

This is a great find, thanks once again fella. If anyone is particularly interested in late-70s modern classical-style Science Fiction film music, along the lines of Corigliani's superb score for Altered States (with a heady dose of Stravinsky, I would say), I'd recommend checking this out - it's 'pay what you like'. It also brings to mind Morricone's work on The Thing in parts, though no doubt due to my memory of the film's equally bleak, nihilistic snowy setting.

https://tompierson.bandcamp.com/album/q ... estra-1978
By reddye6
Martin Kratochvil - Temne Slunce (Dark Sun) CD

I stumbled upon this movie soundtrack a few weeks ago while looking at the Web site for Polish label GAD Records (www.gadrecords.pl). They offer a nice collection of CDs and vinyl (mainly CDs) of Polish jazz, prog, hippy music, funk, and library music. This is an early-'80s Czech sci-fi cold-war thriller about an inventor who makes a powerful explosive (the original novel off which this is based was written before the atom bomb) and tries to keep it out of the hands of governments. There is an album teaser here, which has the soundtrack sounding like a weird mix of Vangelis, Fantastic Planet, bongo funk, and early synth experiments. You can read more about the soundtrack at the label site here.

I was able to get this soundtrack for $15 from Wayside Music in the US. Wayside also has a big sale going on. I was able to get some good buys, such as Miles Davis' "On the Corner" CD for $3 and Todd Dockstader/David Lee Myers' "Pond" CD for the same price (along with some cheap Klaus Schulze and Sontaag).
Attachments
cd_018_kratochvil_temne_slunce-wpcf_571x566.jpg
cd_018_kratochvil_temne_slunce-wpcf_571x566.jpg (75.74 KiB) Viewed 5024 times
By tim28212
I watched this movie for the first time last night. Pretty darn good. Another movie off my list of "Movies with scores by Jerry Goldsmith that I haven't seen".
Attachments
R-3789811-1498436779-6011.jpeg.jpg
R-3789811-1498436779-6011.jpeg.jpg (172.85 KiB) Viewed 4927 times
By Hatter313
This morning’s commmute is to The Dark Half, one of Young’s best in my opinion, and an underrated King adaptation AND underrated Romero movie. Would love to see one of our labels here put this out in a nice package.
By ScoJo
Hatter313 wrote:This morning’s commmute is to The Dark Half, one of Young’s best in my opinion, and an underrated King adaptation AND underrated Romero movie. Would love to see one of our labels here put this out in a nice package.

I fully endorse all of this message!

(Just rewatched myself a few nights ago - that CY score is beautiful and intense!)
By Hatter313
Keeping up with the theme, on to Kamen’s score for The Dead Zone, again...underrated in every way. Its funny,years ago I always thought Howard shore would make an excellent composer for a King adaptation, his sound feels perfect for it. I tried to think of he had ever done one and came up blank. Realizing that Cronenberg had done the dead zone I knew that would be the answer, and lo and behold one of the only times Shore didn’t do the score for him haha. That being said, Kamen never dissapointed and his score to this is a stunner.
By tim28212
Hatter313 wrote:Keeping up with the theme, on to Kamen’s score for The Dead Zone, again...underrated in every way. Its funny,years ago I always thought Howard shore would make an excellent composer for a King adaptation, his sound feels perfect for it. I tried to think of he had ever done one and came up blank. Realizing that Cronenberg had done the dead zone I knew that would be the answer, and lo and behold one of the only times Shore didn’t do the score for him haha. That being said, Kamen never dissapointed and his score to this is a stunner.

I heard a rumor way, way, way back, that Milan was going to put The Dead Zone out on vinyl. Wonder what happened.
By Mateo Sanboval
tim28212 wrote:
Hatter313 wrote:Keeping up with the theme, on to Kamen’s score for The Dead Zone, again...underrated in every way. Its funny,years ago I always thought Howard shore would make an excellent composer for a King adaptation, his sound feels perfect for it. I tried to think of he had ever done one and came up blank. Realizing that Cronenberg had done the dead zone I knew that would be the answer, and lo and behold one of the only times Shore didn’t do the score for him haha. That being said, Kamen never dissapointed and his score to this is a stunner.

I heard a rumor way, way, way back, that Milan was going to put The Dead Zone out on vinyl. Wonder what happened.
You know it'd sell like hotcakes.
By Hatter313
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
tim28212 wrote:

You know it'd sell like hotcakes.
I want the full Highlander score, only five tracks ever officially released.
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote:I want the full Highlander score, only five tracks ever officially released.
Oh hell yes.
By Hatter313
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
Hatter313 wrote:I want the full Highlander score, only five tracks ever officially released.
Oh hell yes.
As far as I’m concerned, it’s his masterpiece. And the way he weaves in who wants to live forever into the main score is unstoppable film scoreing perfection...

I like highlander :)
By chiefbrody
Having some problems uploading images/posting to this topic.

My "spooky" Halloween morning has been:

Halloween III
Hipster Halloween (Trunk)
Halloween Voodoo (Trunk)
Harry Robinson - Twins of Evil
Frizzi - Zombi 2
Goldsmith - Poltergeist
By Mateo Sanboval
Those Trunk comps are loads of fun.
By chiefbrody
100% @mateo. I only just picked them up, but had a fun time listening to them today.

Further listening was the Vault of Horror comp, Halloween (anniversary edition with dialogue, like Mondo) and The Fog.