Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
Does anyone have (or has anyone had or heard) this Dagored pressing of the expanded EFNY score? It's a very John Carpenter-y day out where I live and while spinning and Discogs-ing, I stumbled upon this release. Seems like a lot of music for a single LP, but I'm quite curious all the same. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts or impressions.
https://www.discogs.com/John-Carpenter- ... ase/169045
By lazyben
I have it. I seem to recall it sounding like crap but I'll stick it on again later and see how reliable that memory is.
By ScoJo
@mateo -

Mang - I had this until recently, moved it on because it's exactly the same tracklist as the recent Silva Screen 2xLP version, though not sure if they're from the same source. Though there's nothing on the SS sleeve about remastering, they put out the expanded release on CD previously. Interestingly, both the SS expanded CD and the Dagored vinyl came out the same year, so......likely the same source.

Note that 8x of the tracks are short bits of dialogue, so not as many tracks as it first seems - but yeah, still 25-30 minutes of music per side so pretty max'd out :)
By Mateo Sanboval
lazyben wrote:I have it. I seem to recall it sounding like crap but I'll stick it on again later and see how reliable that memory is.
That's be awesome, Ben, gracias. Quite interested to hear what folks think it sounds like.
ScoJo wrote:@mateo -

Mang - I had this until recently, moved it on because it's exactly the same tracklist as the recent Silva Screen 2xLP version, though not sure if they're from the same source. Though there's nothing on the SS sleeve about remastering, they put out the expanded release on CD previously. Interestingly, both the SS expanded CD and the Dagored vinyl came out the same year, so......likely the same source.

Note that 8x of the tracks are short bits of dialogue, so not as many tracks as it first seems - but yeah, still 25-30 minutes of music per side so pretty max'd out :)
The year, in regards to sourcing, struck me as well, ScoJ, and your point about the actual run time is well made. I'm always interested in what labels consider "too much" for one LP versus two.
By lazyben
Mr Mateo, she's a spinning and still not sounding that great to me. My copy which was bought sealed arrived with a bit of that white film or whatever on it that you get sometimes and it seems to be causing some surface noise. I should probably have run it through the nitty gritty at the time but death waltz appeared a week or so after I bought it and I went ahead and bought and preferred the DW version and promptly forgot about this one. As a rambling aside, I really should stop buying expanded versions of things as I nearly always end up going back to the original. On the vaguely technical front this sounds a bit flat to me, almost like it's playing a tad slow (which it isn't), but it's probably from jamming so much stuff onto each side. Oh, and the artwork is largely atrocious. This concludes my review as I am off to bed to pleasure either the wife or myself depending on how things develop.
By Mateo Sanboval
Ben, you have done a yeoman's labor, sir. Take the day off.
By MODAREC
My copy doesn't actually sound too bad, just a little quiet. Came with a 12"x24" reproduction of the Italian cinema poster too.