Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

Looking for the significance of red / green labels on the Beat label. Can anyone shed some light? Could red be the first press and green the second?

For example, I have 2 copies of a record, one with red labels and one with green. They both have their own discogs page but as they were both released in the same year, I can't tell what the different colour labels signify, if anything.

Thanks!
I am not sure if the label color indicates a second pressing or just a split run, but I will ask Daniele from Beat Records when I see him next week. Personally, I run across way more green labels than red, but that could just be random. :)

Also, some titles in the Beat catalog have black or blue labels. Maybe they did it just to mess with future collectors? I had a friend tell me that if I started collecting both colors he would know for sure that I went off the deep end.
@Deaf, thanks, I'd appreciate it if you did ask and find out if there is any significance. I've also come across more greens than reds, and I thought I read somewhere that a red label indicated a first press but I don't know how reliable that was.

For me, the record in question is an absolute favourite so over many years I purchased both colours. I may offload one but how can I choose between the red and green?!
@frozeneyeball - What do you have two copies of? ;) I have also heard the red labels are more rare or possibly a first pressing. I have multiple copies of a few titles, but they are all green labels. I believe the only red label I have is Quella Villa Accanto Al Cimitero. I also thought about moving along some doubles, but I should probably keep them for when I wear out my first copy!
@Deaf the record in question is L'Aldila. I'm ashamed/proud to say I've got 2 green label copies and 1 red. I was going to offload at least one of the greens, but I'm having second thoughts.

I also have a red label copy of Quella Villa Accanto Al Cimitero, which is one of the jewels in my collection!

You also get some titles with only a green label release such as Paura Nella Città Dei Morti Viventi, so this just confuses the matter further. For me at least. Where's the red label version?
Mouthwatering stuff :-)

Deaf, could you ask Danielle something about never released giallo scores?
When searching for info about the score to La Casa Dalla Finestre Che Ridono (The House with the Laughing Windows) I found the old thread (2008) on beatrecords.it: http://www.beatrecords.it/public/forum/ ... topic=57.0
Using google translate I can make a little bit sense of it. If I understand it correctly a lot of tapes are gone. Beat has to rights to the film, but that tapes are lost. There is nothing left from Tommasi to use.

Has there changed anything since 2008 in a way that lost tapes where found again or that the increasing interest for these scores resulted in action to restore previously unused material?
You know, as I was asking Daniele De Gemini from Beat Records all these questions, I realized it would have been great to film his answers in an interview style for posterity. I think I will do that in Portland on Monday for fun. Besides, he needs to phone his mother this weekend to get the absolute truth about the green vs red labels. The family archive will answer the question once and for all. ;)

Also, @Bez, the question about the Tommasi score almost seemed to cause him mental anguish. The tapes exist, and they are certainly in good condition, but Tomassi never gave them to Franco De Gemini originally, and still claims that he will never hand them over... for reasons unknown.
@ Deaf - love to see that interview :-)
And what a story about those Tommasi scores. I can only hope that at one point the tapes will be released...
Any news about future releases? On Beat or on other labels?
Bezulsqy wrote:Any news about future releases? On Beat or on other labels?
Yes, as mentioned in the tour thread, Beat will be releasing a poliziottechi OST by Fabio Frizzi. Also, I asked about Sette Note In Nero (of course!). The word is that somebody is releasing it on vinyl, but not Beat since Cinevox owns the rights. Big news!

Any other questions before Monday?
deafmetal wrote:
Bezulsqy wrote:Any news about future releases? On Beat or on other labels?
Yes, as mentioned in the tour thread, Beat will be releasing a poliziottechi OST by Fabio Frizzi. Also, I asked about Sette Note In Nero (of course!). The word is that somebody is releasing it on vinyl, but not Beat since Cinevox owns the rights. Big news!

Any other questions before Monday?
I knbow I read you posting that poliziottechi news, but can't find that post anymore... Is it Contraband? And very good news about Sette Note in Nero!
If I can think about any more questions I will let you know.
deafmetal wrote:You know, as I was asking Daniele De Gemini from Beat Records all these questions, I realized it would have been great to film his answers in an interview style for posterity. I think I will do that in Portland on Monday for fun. Besides, he needs to phone his mother this weekend to get the absolute truth about the green vs red labels. The family archive will answer the question once and for all. ;)

Also, @Bez, the question about the Tommasi score almost seemed to cause him mental anguish. The tapes exist, and they are certainly in good condition, but Tomassi never gave them to Franco De Gemini originally, and still claims that he will never hand them over... for reasons unknown.
I for one will be extremely interested in the red vs green label conundrum! When I initially asked the question, I didn't expect I'd ever get a definitive answer from the Beat family archive. Thanks Deaf!
Great but I never had any doubt that black and green labels were the first prints, I bought a lot of Beat Records in the early 80s and all have the labels of these two colors.
About ‘La casa dalle finestre che ridono’ I always knew (and with ‘always’ I mean at least two decades ago) that in the '80s Tommasi had destroyed the original tapes of this score and of other recordings during a period of mental breakdown and if you try to ask him about this tapes he will send you to hell with bad words....
Red Goblin wrote:Great but I never had any doubt that black and green labels were the first prints, I bought a lot of Beat Records in the early 80s and all have the labels of these two colors.
About ‘La casa dalle finestre che ridono’ I always knew (and with ‘always’ I mean at least two decades ago) that in the '80s Tommasi had destroyed the original tapes of this score and of other recordings during a period of mental breakdown and if you try to ask him about this tapes he will send you to hell with bad words....
If it wasn't such a shame that these tapes are gone I would laugh at this story. Really would love to see that score released.
@Red Goblin - Thank you for your confirmation as well, and what a sad story that is about Tommasi's master tapes. If you have any other history to add to this thread, I'm sure it would be of great interest to all of us. Also, do you happen to know who is releasing Sette Note In Nero on vinyl?

@frozeneyeball - One other thing we talked about off-camera was the size of the print run. He believes they pressed 1,000 copies with green labels, and the stamped #'s I have seen on the Paura green labels support this number. He also said he thought the repress with red labels might have only been 500 and not 1,000 copies, but he wasn't sure. That could be the reason why so many more green labels pop up though. What is the stamp # on your red copy?

Lastly, Daniele said that the majority of the LP's were sent to TV and radio stations, as well as DJ's, and not as many went into distribution. Most of the promo copies were probably thrown in the bin...