Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

@deaf - is there much difference in sound quality between the different vinyl pressings for you? I 'just' have the Mondo release on black vinyl and the subsequent DeathWaltz issue

Did hear the maestro is going full on orchestral for the composer's cut recording... or at least that's a wish. In any event, sounds like he really has the Beyond bit between his teeth. Lovely stuff.
Spun out of control wrote:@deaf - is there much difference in sound quality between the different vinyl pressings for you?
I am obviously not an expert by any means, my equipment is not audiophile grade, and I wear a hearing aid, etc. :) That said, I spent a few hours late last night comparing all four pressings in headphones. First off, I am not detecting "enormously drastic" differences between the mastering on the pressings. I do have some quality issues between the various pressings. For example, my Dagored copy is faulty and is covered with pits/dimples on side A which cause nearly constant surface noise. My Mondo color vinyl is a better bit, but still has some noisy parts. I will say though, that the recent remastered Death Waltz release sounds quite amazing -- even on triplehazesplattervinyl! I also have a copy on black vinyl, and it's an incredible listen.

I am positive I have some kind of irrational bias to prefer the original pressing on Beat. I am very fortunate to have a near-mint copy of the vinyl, and it sounds perfect to me. I would put both the OG and the Death Waltz reissue at the top of the list, but it might just come down to personal preference. I fully expect an expert with better ears and equipment to contradict my opinion, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Back to the Composer's Cut, here is a very in-depth video from the Austin show: