Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

Well, ATP Iceland is cancelled but this project is still nearing completion:
According to Maestro Frizzi's recent postings, it will be performed for the first time at Latronico Horror Fest in Milan on 23rd July. He also promises to reveal the details of the project in the near future before the show.
Fabio is live now @deaf... if you want to pose any questions... interested to see how this pans out :)

He says "this is a complete rewriting of the original score with a more modern concept of the score. It's a more detailed soundrack, recovering many of the ideas that we had together with Lucio. There's only one new theme that links all the project. Lucio, as you all know was a director that used to lead all the group of cooperators and he had the last word on everything. So we recorded 52 Ms (pieces of music) but when the movie was mixed the Ms remained more or less 30."

I asked him: Is there a plan to record and release your 'more modern concept' of the score as a new LP perhaps?

The reply: "Yes, we had a preview here in Italy four days ago. Now we are preparing some new dates in the US and UK. But I think that in September we'll begin the recording of the band and before Christmas we'll record the orcherstral parts."
This is very exciting!

Q. What inspired you to create The Composer's Cut project of The Beyond?

A. The fact that I wanted to play live one of these movies, but there wasn't so much music to play, so I needed to create a show that could be the movie joined to the music, in a way from the beginning to the end, and more, I wanted to try to develop a new idea of this great movie.

Q. Is the project a new shorter film focused more on the musical score? Is any of the music expanded for the new cut?

A. No, the movie is the original one, 1h 26m. I had the possibility to work on the dialogue and FX mixed track rebuilding from scratch. Almost all the original tracks are respected, but the score includes up to 60 tracks in total.

Q. How does it feel to mix the film?

A. It's really exciting. There were some scenes where Lucio preferred to leave only FX. I've saved every little breath, noise, scream... and in some moments I've mixed everything with my music.

Q. Did you write any new material on the Mellotron for the live score?

A. Of course, yes. I always bring with me Mellotron sounds.

A. Description of a new track : "The spiders scene had an insure(?) music. I did a single song of more than four minutes with a moog solo and a final guitar solo. The effect is incredible.
@Spun - This all sounds excellent to me, especially the fact that Fabio himself is overseeing a new soundtrack mix for the film. That is what I was really hoping for all along. 60 tracks! The possibility of a new expanded album getting released is the icing on the cake. This is really something beyond The Beyond.

As for live shows, I am not quite sure if the London show in October is going to be featuring The Composer's Cut or not. The description on the Union Chapel page seems to suggest otherwise, but who knows where that description came from. I do know that there will be at least a handful of US tour dates this Fall that will be featuring this event.
Spun out of control wrote:Did also cheekily ask the maestro if there was any chance of a Magnetic System - Bixio, Frizzi, Tempera - revival and tour after this one...

He laughed politely.

(the idea is is his head now though :))
Diabolical tactic, Spun.
Hey folks!

For anyone interested in seeing The Beyond: The Composer cut in deepest, darkest mid-Wales, tickets are now on sale for the performance at Abertoir Horror Festival in November (it's also included as part of the festival pass, if you're so inclined to attend more of the fest; those go on sale at a later date).

Full disclosure, I am one of the organisers of the fest, so please forgive the self-promotion - we're very excited to welcome Maestro Frizzi back to Wales. It'll be his third time visiting us, the second time with his band.

http://www.aberystwythartscentre.co.uk/ ... erformance
Let's talk about The Beyond. Where did you first see the film or hear the score? My first discovery was the Blackest Heart Media soundtrack CD release with the interspersed dialog/fx tracks! I have yet to read the graphic novel it came with, but I found the digital files online back in the 90's. Did you know that the severely-cut 1983 US theatrical release as Seven Doors of Death had a completely different soundtrack by Walter Sear? (which I've never seen or heard). I am glad to say that when I finally saw the film, it was in the uncut form with the original soundtrack. Although I had some kind of hazy, personal vision of what I thought the film *might* be like from listening to that soundtrack album, I really had no idea what I was in for with this one. Much has been said about Fulci's purposefully "plot-less" nightmare, and everybody seems to get something different out of the experience. I recently viewed the original uncut 35mm film with a crowd, and it was like experiencing a shared bad trip that had a monstrously-groaning and intense jazzfunk soundtrack. Many people in the audience were really enjoying the music in the film, and it seemed to continuously align the attention of the crowd while getting everybody through the outrageous feast of visual gore -- many scenes of which drew shocking gasps of astonishment from the audience. The scene where it cuts to Cinzia Monreale (as Emily) playing the piano perfectly in-time with Frizzi's solo piano sent the crowd buzzing -- what the fuck?! My lingering vision from the film is a loop of running up and down endless flights of stairs while that undead mellotron chorus is belting it out at maximum volume. Incredible.

Many claim that The Beyond is their favorite work of music by Fabio Frizzi. As a whole, I am inclined to agree, and I always enjoy listening to the entire soundtrack album. Funky bass and drums aside, the combination of the mellotron and human chorus is something interesting and special, and when used together in the climax of the score, it is almost overwhelming. Alternately, there are some cues and tracks that are almost minimal in their subtlety and restraint, but feature interesting and unexpected arrangements of instruments (that flute!) along with crisp percussion. The whole thing is very unique, and seems to pull from many different directions. The album is especially enjoyable on vinyl, and it has been really fun to collect all the different pressings of this seminal album.

What do you all think we are in for with the new Composer's Cut? I am expecting a full-on blazing prog assault, along with even more bubbling acid melting everybody's face off, where by the finale our bilious remains drip all the way down to join the sea of darkness...