Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By NathanLurker
I'm tempted to get the 'Tigers are not Afraid' vinyl too. I saw it when it played Fantasia Festival and I really liked the movie. I don't remember what I thought of the score though.
By 334578rpm
NathanLurker wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:03 pm I'm tempted to get the 'Tigers are not Afraid' vinyl too. I saw it when it played Fantasia Festival and I really liked the movie. I don't remember what I thought of the score though.
I like it a lot. It's on all the major streaming services if you search for "Vuelven."
By Bezulsqy
should I get this? Or go for the original or another release (if there is one):

One of the maddest soundtracks you'll ever buy – a strange mix of folksy tunes, sound effects, and odd noisy bits – recorded for the equally odd film of the same name! The record is impossible to describe accurately, but it's a really dark one – strangely fragile at some moments, with a sing-song intensity that almost makes it feel like some of the late 80s pagan folk efforts of David Tibet! The 40th Anniversary Edition has a different track listing to the preceding OST double album, selecting only the songs to make a single LP. Giovanni had always intended to release the soundtrack on vinyl as an album of songs, but this never happened due to the film’s troubled past,and consequently the existing soundtrack includes extra incidental music. This pressing is unique, presenting the music as an album of those songs – the only time Paul Giovanni’s musical vision for the film has been accurately represented on record.

Silva Screen commissioned artist Richey Beckett to come up with artwork for a poster and sleeve. This repress on white vinyl contrasts beautifully with the artwork, which is printed on reverse board. It also includes the stunning original printed inner sleeve.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:56 am should I get this? Or go for the original or another release (if there is one):

One of the maddest soundtracks you'll ever buy – a strange mix of folksy tunes, sound effects, and odd noisy bits – recorded for the equally odd film of the same name! The record is impossible to describe accurately, but it's a really dark one – strangely fragile at some moments, with a sing-song intensity that almost makes it feel like some of the late 80s pagan folk efforts of David Tibet! The 40th Anniversary Edition has a different track listing to the preceding OST double album, selecting only the songs to make a single LP. Giovanni had always intended to release the soundtrack on vinyl as an album of songs, but this never happened due to the film’s troubled past,and consequently the existing soundtrack includes extra incidental music. This pressing is unique, presenting the music as an album of those songs – the only time Paul Giovanni’s musical vision for the film has been accurately represented on record.

Silva Screen commissioned artist Richey Beckett to come up with artwork for a poster and sleeve. This repress on white vinyl contrasts beautifully with the artwork, which is printed on reverse board. It also includes the stunning original printed inner sleeve.
Oof. This is a complicated question B! And tbh, Wicker Man has been on my list for attempting a COMPARISON CORNER for months - so if you can hang on for a short while, I could get on that asap?

But if you really just want a quick answer - the Music on Vinyl 'yellow cover' edition is the most complete edition out there, with both the songs and score together on a single LP.

https://www.discogs.com/Paul-Giovanni-T ... se/3729005

Just note that the blurb which you attached above does not relate to the LP pictured - that's the copy relating to the Silva Screen LP which has only the songs on it, and has the hand drawn cover/brown and black.

https://www.discogs.com/Paul-Giovanni-G ... se/8559357

The third option, the Trunk Records LP which is OOP and more pricey, is a complicated story which will have to wait for the proper comparison. But basically, it was the first ever release of the music and was pulled from the original music and sound effects reels - you don't need that one... but if you go deep into the Wicker Man pagan rabbit hole, you may ultimately decide that you need it after all ;-)

https://www.discogs.com/Magnet-Paul-Gio ... ster/69624

And go even deeper.... and you'll end up needing this Finders Keepers album of original folk recordings of the songs that the film composer adapted - I love this album!

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Willows ... se/2281187
Last edited by ScoJo on Tue May 26, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Revolver_OcelScott
Not vinyl, but OST adjacent.

Dawn of the Dead UHD/Region 2/B Blu Ray is up for sale.
Comes with 3 cuts of the film, 3 CD OST with "Complete" Library music across 2 CDs, 1 CD of the Goblin OST. novelization, essay book and more. I really wanna wait for DiabolikDVD to put it up, but might settle for Zavvi. 4K UHD is region free thankfully, but the bonus Blu Ray content is region locked.

Zavvi US:
https://us.zavvi.com/blu-ray/dawn-of-th ... 90568.html

Second Sight (UK only):
https://secondsightfilms.co.uk/collecti ... t-releases
By Hatter313
really tempted by this, as i'm skeptical of a US release. i do want those special features though, even though i'll likely only watch once. nice that all the cuts are UHD, and the cues are a wonderful addition....

I'm gonna ponder this one.
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:25 am
Bezulsqy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:56 am should I get this? Or go for the original or another release (if there is one):

Oof. This is a complicated question B! And tbh, Wicker Man has been on my list for attempting a COMPARISON CORNER for months - so if you can hang on for a short while, I could get on that asap?

But if you really just want a quick answer - the Music on Vinyl 'yellow cover' edition is the most complete edition out there, with both the songs and score together on a double LP.

https://www.discogs.com/Paul-Giovanni-T ... se/3729005

Just note that the blurb which you attached above does not relate to the LP pictured - that's the copy relating to the Silva Screen LP which has only the songs on it, and has the hand drawn cover/brown and black.

https://www.discogs.com/Paul-Giovanni-G ... se/8559357

The third option, the Trunk Records LP which is OOP and more pricey, is a complicated story which will have to wait for the proper comparison. But basically, it was the first ever release of the music and was pulled from the original music and sound effects reels - you don't need that one... but if you go deep into the Wicker Man pagan rabbit hole, you may ultimately decide that you need it after all ;-)

https://www.discogs.com/Magnet-Paul-Gio ... ster/69624

And go even deeper.... and you'll end up needing this Finders Keepers album of original folk recordings of the songs that the film composer adapted - I love this album!

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Willows ... se/2281187
Perfect breakdown above, (would love to do a full comparison) I've got the MOV and the Silva Screen and one day will likely pick up the Trunk, and even the finders keepers one as well.
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:09 pm really tempted by this, as i'm skeptical of a US release. i do want those special features though, even though i'll likely only watch once. nice that all the cuts are UHD, and the cues are a wonderful addition....

Yeah it's pretty much the price point I assumed (I originally guessed $100-$120). I want it really bad but if I'm being honest with myself I won't watch it much. I enjoy the film but never really have the desire to watch it so this would be spend $100, watch the film then put it on the shelf to collect dust. The library cues are really interesting to me but I'd just rip them to my hard drive and listen to them that way so I might as well just wait for some on to rip it and upload some where. Who knows though, I may convince myself between now and this fall that I actually do really need this.
By Revolver_OcelScott
Dawn of the Dead for me is in my top films of all time. I can watch it endlessly, for that reason, I am definitely in. I have the 3 disc DVD put out forever ago, so having the upgrade will be great. Funny enough, I don't have a 4K player or TV, but getting the 4K box, mainly for it being region free. I plan on getting a PS5, so I'll be set then.

Even funnier, I don't own a single CD player. My new "gaming" PC doesn't have a DVD/CD drive, my new car doesn't even have one. So the only way for me to listen to the CDs will be through my Blu-ray player.
By ChrisMcQueen007
Yeah, I‘ll for sure get this. Love Dawn, also in my top films of all time. Have held off watching it in recent years as I was waiting for a nice looking version to be released. Could live without the CDs as I don‘t have a player anymore but I don‘t want to wait any more for a standard edition - this October is the time to watch Dawn in glorious 4K!
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:14 pm
Hatter313 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:09 pm really tempted by this, as i'm skeptical of a US release. i do want those special features though, even though i'll likely only watch once. nice that all the cuts are UHD, and the cues are a wonderful addition....

Yeah it's pretty much the price point I assumed (I originally guessed $100-$120). I want it really bad but if I'm being honest with myself I won't watch it much. I enjoy the film but never really have the desire to watch it so this would be spend $100, watch the film then put it on the shelf to collect dust. The library cues are really interesting to me but I'd just rip them to my hard drive and listen to them that way so I might as well just wait for some on to rip it and upload some where. Who knows though, I may convince myself between now and this fall that I actually do really need this.

Yeah that’s the other thing, I watch this movie maybe once every few years when the mood really strikes me. So I may just wait it out, I have the ultimate DVD set from years ago so I may just sit tight. I know this is an insane opinion, especially on here...but here we go...

Out of the original trilogy, I rank it last. Now that’s not to say I don’t like it or even at times LOVE it, but I prefer Day a bit more for the atmosphere and the effects (and the score) and Night is far and away my favorite of the original three and one of my all time favorite movies period.

There, I said it. I apologize to those I’ve let down ;D
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:52 pm
Out of the original trilogy, I rank it last. Now that’s not to say I don’t like it or even at times LOVE it, but I prefer Day a bit more for the atmosphere and the effects (and the score) and Night is far and away my favorite of the original three and one of my all time favorite movies period.

Don't worry, I'll be out here in no man's land with you. Night is the only one I truly love and can watch at any time. I actually hated Day up until a few years ago when I began to appreciate it more, still not a fun watch imo. Effects are some of the best but I find so many characters grating to watch that it's tough for me to really love the film as a whole. I go right down the line Night to Dawn to Day for my preference. I'm due for a Dawn rewatch but I definitely don't love it like most in the horror community and around here. That's not to take away from it's importance or anything, just a personal preference from this weirdo. It's a great film that I don't appreciate as much as most.
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:11 pm
Hatter313 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:52 pm

Don't worry, I'll be out here in no man's land with you. Night is the only one I truly love and can watch at any time. I actually hated Day up until a few years ago when I began to appreciate it more, still not a fun watch imo. Effects are some of the best but I find so many characters grating to watch that it's tough for me to really love the film as a whole. I go right down the line Night to Dawn to Day for my preference. I'm due for a Dawn rewatch but I definitely don't love it like most in the horror community and around here. That's not to take away from it's importance or anything, just a personal preference from this weirdo. It's a great film that I don't appreciate as much as most.

You and me against the world, Inks.
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:30 pm My favourite is Diary...

I don’t even have words for this sort of provocation haha
By ScoJo
lazyben wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:09 pm I did do a little wicker man releases comparison and write up thread years ago:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5604

Apparently I didn't compare the sound quality though
Great stuff LB - always love seeing ancient wisdom dredged from the neglected, cobwebbed files cabinets of the forum.

I might attempt a full comparison then pretty soon, with emphasis on audio quality, sources and track list differences.
A-cumen sooooooon.......
By lazyben
Go for it man!

It took me a while to find my wibblings as the search wasn't terribly helpful.

As the wicker man might be my favourite score/soundtrack of all time and the film is easily in my top 10 I tend to get sidetracked when analyzing and instead get totally immersed in it to the detriment of anything else.
By Bezulsqy
@ScoJo and @lazyben

Thank you very very much for all this info. I am going to wait on ScoJo's comparison (and please take your good time Sir!)

Love the old thread from @lazyben. I had no idea how much there is to say about the Wicker Man. Also nice to see those other names in that thread but a shame they lost interest in STBC. Which I can understand because how much can one talk about all of this.

ahum