Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
John Carpenter - Anthology II (Movie Themes 1976-1988)
Sacred Bones
$25
Pre-order - release date 06.10.23

https://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/coll ... -1976-1988

Anthology II (Movie Themes 1976-1988) represents just a fraction of John Carpenter's impressive musical repertoire. His ability to capture the essence of his films through evocative melodies, atmospheric soundscapes, and innovative use of synths has solidified his status as one of the most influential composers in the history of cinema. With each haunting note and pulsating beat, his soundtracks continue to resonate with audiences, forever etching his name in the annals of film music history.

Track listing:
1. Chariots of Pumpkins (Halloween III)
2. 69th St. Bridge (Escape from New York)
3. The Alley (War) (Big Trouble in Little China)
4. Wake Up (They Live)
5. Julie’s Dead (Assault on Precinct 13)
6. The Shape Enters Laurie’s Room (Halloween II)
7. Season of the Witch (Halloween III)
8. Love at a Distance (Prince of Darkness)
9. The Shape Stalks Again (Halloween II)
10. Burn it (The Thing)
11. Fuchs (The Thing)
12. To Mac’s Shack (The Thing)
13. Walk to the Lighthouse (The Fog)
14. Laurie’s Theme (Halloween)

By Bub
334578rpm wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:45 pm It looks like outside if the "The Thing" tracks, the rest are on the 7 inchers that came with the Shout Factory box sets.
Correct. And Assault on Precinct 13

Also, the bundle package with the slipcase includes a bonus 7"

7":
A. Village of the Damned
B. Body Bags
By inksb
I hadn't had time to look but I was wondering if all of this was stuff from those 7". Thanks for confirming that. Perfect collection for me bc I dont' really do 7" these days. Really wish those bonus tracks were on here though.
By 334578rpm
Bub wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:53 pm
334578rpm wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:45 pm It looks like outside if the "The Thing" tracks, the rest are on the 7 inchers that came with the Shout Factory box sets.
Correct. And Assault on Precinct 13

Also, the bundle package with the slipcase includes a bonus 7"

7":
A. Village of the Damned
B. Body Bags
I forgot about Assault (think that just about confirms a 4k release w/ 7in is coming).
By 334578rpm
The same bonus 7" was also included in the deluxe Anthology Vol 1 for those that have that.
Agreed they should have tacked it onto Vol 2.
By Bub
334578rpm wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:11 pm The same bonus 7" was also included in the deluxe Anthology Vol 1 for those that have that.
Oh awesome. I hadn't checked so that's good news. But here's another "thing" haha. The tracks for The Thing are on the Waxwork Lost Cues release, assuming they're the same recording.

A1 Main Theme
A2 Burn It
B1 To Mac’s Shack
B2 Fuchs
By inksb
Bub wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:32 pm
334578rpm wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:11 pm The same bonus 7" was also included in the deluxe Anthology Vol 1 for those that have that.
Oh awesome. I hadn't checked so that's good news. But here's another "thing" haha. The tracks for The Thing are on the Waxwork Lost Cues release, assuming they're the same recording.

A1 Main Theme
A2 Burn It
B1 To Mac’s Shack
B2 Fuchs
I guarantee they are, SB and WW seem to have a good working relationship so there's no reason they would not be the exact recordings.
By reddye6
For the Carpenter anthology, are the 7" versions different from what would appear on the regular, full score releases?
By ScoJo
reddye6 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:16 pm For the Carpenter anthology, are the 7" versions different from what would appear on the regular, full score releases?
Everything is newly re-recorded chap.
By inksb
Yeah this is all the John Carpenter Band stuff, with Cody & Daniel. Same as what we got with Anthology part 1. I rather enjoy the new interpretations, they are fun and make for a different listening experience
By reddye6
ScoJo wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:18 pm
reddye6 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:16 pm For the Carpenter anthology, are the 7" versions different from what would appear on the regular, full score releases?
Everything is newly re-recorded chap.
Thanks! Honestly, I bought the first one and listened to it but haven't gone back to it. I was going to buy the second one when I was thinking that I have this music in some form on the score albums and do I really need to get it (or even keep the first one). Only I can answer that ...
By reddye6
Thanks as well, inksb! I'll go back to the first anthology and give it a listen.
By inksb
Scappo Per Cantare by Giuliano Sorgini

https://fourfliesrecords.bandcamp.com/a ... er-cantare
Another dream coming true! One of Giuliano Sorgini’s finest and most sought-after titles is finally available as an official LP reissue – the first ever – remastered from the original tapes.

Originally released in 1971 on the small library music imprint FAMA, which operated as a sub-label of RCA Italy, the record contains the original music written for Scappo per cantare, a small, pseudo-psychedelic ‘musicarello’ (musical comedy film) broadcast on RAI television and starring, among others, Italian singers Gianni Morandi and Mauro Lusini.

The only credited album artist is Sorgini, but it’s impossible not to perceive, in this record, the hand of his close friend and colleague Alessandro Alessandroni.

This should not come as a surprise. In the early 70s, the two composers and multi-instrumentalists had a fruitful collaboration that saw them, under the monikers Braen (Alessandroni) and Raskovich (Sorgini), produce an abundance of works together, most of which have now gained the recognition they deserve. These include, among others, two 7” singles from their band The Pawnshop, three records in the series Alle sorgenti delle civiltà (Folkmusic), the crime/noir library albums Quarta pagina (Usignolo) and Inchiesta giudiziaria (Octopus Records), as well as the LP Tempo Libero (Panda Records), which was released shortly after the record presented here and in some ways drew rhythmic inspiration from it.

While their collaboration remained unacknowledged on the original release of Scappo per cantare (this was not uncommon at the time, especially in the field of library music), the record sounds perfectly in line with other works composed by Alessandroni in the early 70s, such as Complesso Gisteri’s Mostra Collettiva (co-written with Oronzo De Filippi), or even a landmark album like Spontaneous, where Sorgini contributed to a handful of tracks.

So, yes, the sheer beauty of Scappo per cantare is the result of an incredible synergy between two heavyweights of Italian library music! Airy and sweeping melodies à la Zoo Folle, psychedelia à la Under Pompelmo, and various percussion instruments played by Sorgini seamlessly blend and fuse with elements and touches provided by Alessandroni.

More specifically, we find Alessandroni’s signature, melancholy whistle in “Desolazione”; the peaceful and dreamy sound of his 12-string guitar in “Scogliere” and “Con Amore”; the trademark harmonies of his vocal ensemble Cantori Moderni in the last two tracks mentioned and in “Per cantare”; and his ingenious use of distortion on his Fender Stratocaster in the suspenseful transitions “Concentrazione” and “Fantocci”, as well as in the frantic/hypnotic hippie numbers “Mordente” and “Fendente” (as a side note, it is worth remembering that Alessandroni experimented extensively with distortion in the rock-infused album Underground, co-written with De Filippi and released in 1971 under the moniker Braen’s Machine, probably a reference to British psychedelic band Soft Machine).

The creative relationship between Sorgini and Alessandroni was so symbiotic that it would be useless to try to identify in more detail their respective contributions to the sound of Scappo per cantare. The alchemy between these two musical geniuses is the key to the album’s exquisitely Italian mixture of cheerful lounge, sweet psychedelia and smooth easy listening.

To do justice to the quality of the music, this remastered reissue is enriched by a new artwork by Eric Adrian Lee, who drew inspiration from the psychedelic visual culture of the period in which the album was written and recorded.

By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:28 pm Wow cool.

Interesting- €99 for the digital d/load.
You see stuff like this when they don't have the right to sell it digitally and they charge an amount they know people won't pay. Usually it's higher though like $500 or something absurd. This could possibly just be a mistake when they uploaded it.
By inksb
That Thing You Do

I don't know the story on this one, if it was announced years ago or if people have been clamoring for it for years but I've seen this come up a lot. It's finally here on Wednesday

THAT THING YOU DO – Original Motion Picture Soundtrack LP + 7-Inch. Packaging Design by Mo Shafeek. Pressed on 140 Gram Mondo Exclusive Splatter Vinyl. Also Available on 140 Gram Black Vinyl. Includes 12 Page Booklet with Never Before Seen Photos and Bonus 7-Inch Featuring "That Thing You Do" / "All My Only Dreams." $40.
By inksb
Star Trek The Motion Picture - The Director's Edition - Jerry Goldsmith
Enjoy the Ride Records
Sept 8th 12PM EST
On Sale Star Trek Day (Friday, September 8) at Noon ET: Enjoy The Ride Records, in conjunction with Paramount Music proudly presents Star Trek: The Motion Picture – The Director’s Edition, Music Composed and Conducted by Jerry Goldsmith.

Jerry Goldsmith's iconic score to the 1979 film has been restored, remixed, and mastered from the first-generation multi-track masters by Bruce Botnick (Original album Executive Producer and Goldsmith's long-time engineer). Mike Matessino co-produced the album with Botnick, handling the restoration, editing, and track assembly.

With over 80 minutes of music, Star Trek: The Motion Picture – The Director’s Edition is available on vinyl for the first time in this definitive assembly. Pressed on 2xLP 140g colored vinyl and housed in a high gloss gatefold jacket with black poly-lined inner sleeves, there is also a double-sided full-color insert nestled inside.
Screenshot 2023-09-06 112030.jpg
Screenshot 2023-09-06 112030.jpg (229.72 KiB) Viewed 736 times
By monsterworship
Great Power Pop soundtrack Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne (RIP).
inksb wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:11 pm That Thing You Do

I don't know the story on this one, if it was announced years ago or if people have been clamoring for it for years but I've seen this come up a lot. It's finally here on Wednesday

THAT THING YOU DO – Original Motion Picture Soundtrack LP + 7-Inch. Packaging Design by Mo Shafeek. Pressed on 140 Gram Mondo Exclusive Splatter Vinyl. Also Available on 140 Gram Black Vinyl. Includes 12 Page Booklet with Never Before Seen Photos and Bonus 7-Inch Featuring "That Thing You Do" / "All My Only Dreams." $40.
By texasvinyl
ScoJo wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:28 pm Wow cool.

Interesting- €99 for the digital d/load.
Ok that's hilarious do you think they meant to type 9 euros instead of 99

Glad they reissued this. I've been trying to get a copy for a long time. There was one a year or two ago but didn't have the scratch at the time.
By Bub
inksb wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:22 pm Star Trek The Motion Picture - The Director's Edition - Jerry Goldsmith
Enjoy the Ride Records
Sept 8th 12PM EST
On Sale Star Trek Day (Friday, September 8) at Noon ET: Enjoy The Ride Records, in conjunction with Paramount Music proudly presents Star Trek: The Motion Picture – The Director’s Edition, Music Composed and Conducted by Jerry Goldsmith.

Jerry Goldsmith's iconic score to the 1979 film has been restored, remixed, and mastered from the first-generation multi-track masters by Bruce Botnick (Original album Executive Producer and Goldsmith's long-time engineer). Mike Matessino co-produced the album with Botnick, handling the restoration, editing, and track assembly.

With over 80 minutes of music, Star Trek: The Motion Picture – The Director’s Edition is available on vinyl for the first time in this definitive assembly. Pressed on 2xLP 140g colored vinyl and housed in a high gloss gatefold jacket with black poly-lined inner sleeves, there is also a double-sided full-color insert nestled inside.
Screenshot 2023-09-06 112030.jpg
Someone asked on FB

Possibly a stupid question but what's he difference between the Director's Edition and say the standard soundtrack that La La Land published a few years ago?
20230906_161735.jpg
20230906_161735.jpg (172.01 KiB) Viewed 714 times

Here's the tracklist

FB_IMG_1694031372757.jpg
FB_IMG_1694031372757.jpg (27.44 KiB) Viewed 714 times