Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By reddye6
ScoJo wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:21 am PILOTS OF PURPLE TWILIGHT, Virgin's follow up to IN SEARCH OF HADES Tangerine Dream boxset, will include osts for THE SOLDIER and THE KEEP.

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2020 ... sMrdwmhYcg

Says it's 'from master tapes' but sadly, comparing tracklist with the TDI limited-to-150-copies tour CD from 1997 (and reprinted in edition of 300 in 1999), the track titles are all the same (though new box set omits 3 tracks - 'Sign in the Dark' 'Weird Village' and 'Love and Destiny') so I'm personally not especially hyped:

P.O.P.T. BOX SET DISC 10:

1 Puer Natus Est Nobis (Gloria)
2 Arx Allemand
3 Truth and Fiction
4 The Silver Seal
5 Ancient Powerplant
6 Supernatural Accomplice
7 The Challenger’s Arrival
8 Heritage Survival
9 Parallel Words
10 Canzone
11 Voices from a Common Land
12 Wardays Sunrise
13 The Night in Romania

TDI CD FROM 1997:

1 Puer Natus Est Nobis
2 Ancient Powerplant
3 The Silver Seal
4 Voices From A Common Land
5 Arx Allemand
6 The Night In Romania
7 Canzone
8 Sign In The Dark
9 Weird Village
10 Love And Destiny
11 The Challenger's Arrival
12 Supernatural Accomplice
13 Parallel Worlds
14 Truth And Fiction
15 Wardays Sunrise
16 Heritage Survival

If you want more info on why this particular set of music is interesting, even good, but NOT the music from the film...

FROM KIT RAE'S THE KEEP FANSITE:

1997 - THE KEEP ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK –TDI/Virgin (official TDI release) - At long last the official soundtrack of music from the film got a release - well, not exactly. Tangerine Dream released this rare 150 piece limited edition CD of their 'official' soundtrack, which sold at concerts in 1997. In 1999 another limited run of 300 was made with different cover art, sold through the Tangerine Dream International (TDI) website. Edgar Froese stated in 1997 that he had spent more than six weeks working to bring the original score material into a CD format. He said the CD would include most of the material known from the picture plus some of the tracks which have not been used within the movie due to director's decision. The sleeve notes state this is the only authorized soundtrack of the complete music material originally composed for the movie which was recorded in February 1983. This may be some of the complete music TD recorded for the movie, but only portions of 5 of the 16 tracks were actually used in the film, and despite the claim that this would "include most of the material known from the picture", it simply does not. None of the key tracks from the film are here.

Expectations were very high when this soundtrack was announced, then when people were actually able to listen to it there was extreme disappointment and even anger among the TD fan base. In no way should this be confused for the actual soundtrack to The Keep. Other than just a few of the sixteen tracks, it is stylistically and musically very different to anything in the film. This should be considered a 'lost' TD soundtrack or what ‘might have been’, but those expecting music from the film will be very disappointed. That said, this is a very good album of original Tangerine Dream material, with several excellent compositions. Had this music been used, it would have made The Keep a very different film, and probably made it feel more dated today, since this unused music includes a lot of sounds specific to the mid 1980's period. It also seems to have been updated with modern additional sounds, or "tangentized" to use Edgar Froese's term, and some tracks sound like they were recorded several years after The Keep based on the instrumentation used. That is probably what Edgar Froese was doing for those six weeks he worked to bring the music to CD format. It is a hard-to-find CD and expensive on the trading market. A few of these tracks (or similar versions) had already been played on German radio in 1987 and 1989, already appeared on the First Mix and Blue Moon bootlegs of The Keep, and the live 1982 concert bootleg Logostype/Logotype.

Interestingly the CD sleeve is printed with the copyrights ©TDI Music and the circle P symbol, Virgin. Circle P indicates a phono record copyright (cassette tapes, CDs, LPs, 45 rpm disks, as well as other formats), so the fact that Virgin is credited is an indication that they have rights to this original material composed by TD, but TDI is also credited. Perhaps the additional material recorded and added to the old tracks in 1997 for this release was to allow TD to claim copyright.

The only tracks to feature music from the film are The Night in Romania (first played in the live 1982 concerts), some of the underlying music in middle section of Canzone, and the first few minutes of Supernatural Accomplice. A small portion of Truth and Fiction is reminiscent of some of the vocoder music in the film, but this track was not used in the film. Puer Natus est Nobis is the same version of the Gloria track released on previous bootlegs, but additional instrumentation has been added here, and it is very different from the film version. In all, about six minutes of the sixty minutes of music on the disk was actually used in the film.
There's a back-and-forth going on in Discogs about The Keep authenticity with someone who worked on the box set. We know the score (no pun intended), but it's fun to see this same discussion happening more in the open.

https://www.discogs.com/Tangerine-Dream ... e/16136892
By ScoJo
Well, I've 'poked the bear' a little by replying to this guy's statements, will see if he responds.
He basically bangs on about how the set is just as intended for original release in '83/4, that it's a different animal to the movie score cues, and uses examples of other TD soundtrack releases to 'prove' his wisdom. Yet the examples he gives are terrible! Both Thief and Sorcerer albums, whilst a bit different from the actual score-in-film, both contain PLENTY of music exactly as heard in those movies!
Also annoyingly, he talks about how this new disc is completely different from the TDI tour CD from '97, but states the differences as being a different track order, one typo, and it is better quality! Nothing about the music/whether this release also has Froese's 90s noodling on it too.
Bit of a jag-off tbh, but we'll see what his response is eh? ;-)
By reddye6
I'd be lying if I said that I didn't post the Discogs link with the hope that you'd respond, ScoJo.
By static14
That guy reads like kind of an a-hole. Really dismissive of the facts, and also really talking down to the guy who started the conversation.
By Hatter313
Also I don’t get why it’s so hard to understand that people who buy soundtracks do so because they want the music they heard in a film...I felt like a moron just having to type that.
By Mateo Sanboval
static14 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:47 pm That guy reads like kind of an a-hole. Really dismissive of the facts, and also really talking down to the guy who started the conversation.
He's shown up on another board that I occasionally haunt and he's being a dismissive ass there as well. I'm not sure which is more frustrating, his Trumpian level of fact dismissal or the willfully ignorant people that are fervently lapping up his droppings in spite of all evidence to the contrary. Actually, I do know which I find more frustrating; it's the sheeple. Yep, that's definitely it.

PS - Happy US Election Day, everyone!
By ScoJo
THE KEEP (box set version) - Update

So the grumpy discogs guy replied, and with his comments and doing a bit of comparision work, I can state catagorically that he is 'correct': this set represents the Keep album as delivered to Virgin in '83/84, and NOT the tweaked version that Froese added to for the TDI tour cd in '97.

While it will never represent the in-movie score/mix that many of us crave, at least we now know that this release is THE Tangerine Dream Keep album that was meant to be released on in '84. So there's that!

You can hear the diff for yourselves just by comparing the opening track 'PEUR NATUS... (GLORIA)' on both sets- the TDI release has additional 'late 90s' Froese keyboards, which are missing from the new Virgin release:

TDI CD (1997)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL4C2B ... q92jAknXGw

VIRGIN BOX SET CD (2020)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9kjbQKWsink

So there you have it. I'm now looking forward to listening to both full sets, to play spot-the-difference. And while it will never be The Keep score that we want, perhaps it's the one we deserve right now. It's a perfectly good early 80s TD album in it's own right, shame an 'official' vinyl release has been once again prevented.

Somebody should do another pressing of that excellent Keep bootleg lp of actual film score from a while back, this time making it a 2xLP and include this Virgin set as a bonus........

By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:01 am THE KEEP (box set version) - Update

So the grumpy discogs guy replied, and with his comments and doing a bit of comparision work, I can state catagorically that he is 'correct': this set represents the Keep album as delivered to Virgin in '83/84, and NOT the tweaked version that Froese added to for the TDI tour cd in '97.

While it will never represent the in-movie score/mix that many of us crave, at least we now know that this release is THE Tangerine Dream Keep album that was meant to be released on in '84. So there's that!

You can hear the diff for yourselves just by comparing the opening track 'PEUR NATUS... (GLORIA)' on both sets- the TDI release has additional 'late 90s' Froese keyboards, which are missing from the new Virgin release:

TDI CD (1997)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL4C2B ... q92jAknXGw

VIRGIN BOX SET CD (2020)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9kjbQKWsink

So there you have it. I'm now looking forward to listening to both full sets, to play spot-the-difference. And while it will never be The Keep score that we want, perhaps it's the one we deserve right now. It's a perfectly good early 80s TD album in it's own right, shame an 'official' vinyl release has been once again prevented.

Somebody should do another pressing of that excellent Keep bootleg lp of actual film score from a while back, this time making it a 2xLP and include this Virgin set as a bonus........

thanks for all the info @ScoJo

Now I am wondering if Waxwork will release a vinyl version of the TDI version of The Keep. Could be that rights of that release belong to another party than Universal?
By Bezulsqy
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:22 am Inspired by Deaf's post in Now Playing, I went on a little Budd Hunt. Does anyone here know anything about the status or veracity of these listings?

https://www.discogs.com/Roy-Budd-The-St ... e/15777326
https://www.discogs.com/Roy-Budd-The-Ma ... e/15777249
I saw those listings in August. And at the time I did find some images on the Instagram account for Beatball Records.
Just now I looked at their Facebook page and in a post dated 22 July 2019 they mentioned this (google translate version):
Release is scheduled for September, and both albums will be produced in limited edition of 700 copies (worldwide). You can look forward to it.
They meant September 2019 but no idea what happened.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:09 pm
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:22 am Inspired by Deaf's post in Now Playing, I went on a little Budd Hunt. Does anyone here know anything about the status or veracity of these listings?

https://www.discogs.com/Roy-Budd-The-St ... e/15777326
https://www.discogs.com/Roy-Budd-The-Ma ... e/15777249
I saw those listings in August. And at the time I did find some images on the Instagram account for Beatball Records.
Just now I looked at their Facebook page and in a post dated 22 July 2019 they mentioned this (google translate version):
Release is scheduled for September, and both albums will be produced in limited edition of 700 copies (worldwide). You can look forward to it.
They meant September 2019 but no idea what happened.
Yes, I seem to recall them being announced at the same time those Dynamite 7" Budd sets came out, and the Beat Balls were scheduled for RSD/Black Friday at one point?
By Mateo Sanboval
Interesting. Thanks for the info (and translation), Bez and ScoJ. It sure would be swell to see those releases come to fruition. I must admit that I know little to nothing about Beatball other than their name.
By ScoJo
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:19 pm Interesting. Thanks for the info (and translation), Bez and ScoJ. It sure would be swell to see those releases come to fruition. I must admit that I know little to nothing about Beatball other than their name.
Not casting aspersions on our South Korean bredren, but.... perhaps copyright/legality/licensing issues??

By ScoJo
Seems I did in fact cast an aspersion or two. I'd like to apologies, and retract my earlier thoughtless remarks.

Go! Beat Ball!!
By inksb
VFW by Steve Moore on sale Wednesday via Mondo

Some Videodrome 7", no clue what it is

And another Alessandroni reissue announced by Sonar today. I think coming early '21

edit: just saw the prices in Mondo's email, for some baffling reason VFW is $40 for a double LP. It's a great soundtrack but I'll be waiting til that hits $30 or less.
By deafmetal
@Mateo & friends - Beatball/LitA also reissued Bacalov's Summertime Killer along with four Trovajoli reissues as well over the last few years. I would hope to see the two Roy Budd albums appear some day, especially that expanded reissue of The Stone Killer. It was originally supposed to be a RSD release last year, but production delays and Covid have set everything back. I noticed that Beatball has a minty OG copy of TSK up for sale on the 'cogs, and I was wondering if they used it to master the reissue or not. If they need cash to get their reissue out the door, then maybe I could be tempted to help fund their effort... oof.
By Mateo Sanboval
deafmetal wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:45 pm @Mateo & friends - Beatball/LitA also reissued Bacalov's Summertime Killer along with four Trovajoli reissues as well over the last few years. I would hope to see the two Roy Budd albums appear some day, especially that expanded reissue of The Stone Killer. It was originally supposed to be a RSD release last year, but production delays and Covid have set everything back. I noticed that Beatball has a minty OG copy of TSK up for sale on the 'cogs, and I was wondering if they used it to master the reissue or not. If they need cash to get their reissue out the door, then maybe I could be tempted to help fund their effort... oof.
Deaf, somehow I knew that you'd have some info on these guys. Chin, chin.
By Hatter313
I’ll probably hold out on the videodrome 7” and wait for the full record, love love love that mondo is continuing their shore collaboration *cough Ed Wood cough* especially with the cronenberg ones
By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:29 pm VFW by Steve Moore on sale Wednesday via Mondo

And another Alessandroni reissue announced by Sonar today. I think coming early '21

edit: just saw the prices in Mondo's email, for some baffling reason VFW is $40 for a double LP. It's a great soundtrack but I'll be waiting til that hits $30 or less.
I would like to know more about how pricing in general works regarding records...
Going through everything they have for sale I am surprised by some of differences.

A single LP like Luz is only $20 but Blood on Her Name is $25. Tiny Star is an EP and costs $20
The Wind is $30???? I would get that at 20 but not at 30. I do understand they are running a business...
I am waiting till next years sale to get the releases that are now 25 or 30 dollars.

Some tips for those who care:

get Killer Nun at $10 if you don't have that release. It is brilliant!
Do not buy Big Baad Wolves at $10 because you can get it cheaper on the cogs.... although than you have to factor in shipping. But with Mondo you have to factor in customs if you order from outside the US.
Did anyone actually get that score? How is the movie?

Absurd is another must have! 2LP on black wax for $15!

Also at $15: Bloodstained Shadow and The Case of the Scorpion's Tale 2LP

At $15 there are a lot of great score to get I see.

@ScoJo: didn't you really really love Thelma? I absolutely loved the film. I am getting the score now! Together with Luz.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:40 pm
inksb wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:29 pm VFW by Steve Moore on sale Wednesday via Mondo

I would like to know more about how pricing in general works regarding records...
Going through everything they have for sale I am surprised by some of differences.

A single LP like Luz is only $20 but Blood on Her Name is $25. Tiny Star is an EP and costs $20
The Wind is $30???? I would get that at 20 but not at 30. I do understand they are running a business...
I am waiting till next years sale to get the releases that are now 25 or 30 dollars.

Some tips for those who care:

get Killer Nun at $10 if you don't have that release. It is brilliant!
Do not buy Big Baad Wolves at $10 because you can get it cheaper on the cogs.... although than you have to factor in shipping. But with Mondo you have to factor in customs if you order from outside the US.
Did anyone actually get that score? How is the movie?

Absurd is another must have! 2LP on black wax for $15!

Also at $15: Bloodstained Shadow and The Case of the Scorpion's Tale 2LP

At $15 there are a lot of great score to get I see.

@ScoJo: didn't you really really love Thelma? I absolutely loved the film. I am getting the score now! Together with Luz.
The Thelma score is beautiful, not surprising to me that it's a sale item though - god knows I've done my part pimping it, but most Mongo clientelle are only stiffened by big IP video game and cult 80s horror franchise stuff. And samey synth stuff. And endless represses of the shit music from later Halloween movies.

By 334578rpm

The way they're wording it, it sounds like this run of 500 might be the only pressing of VFW.

"Mondo is thrilled to have an exclusive of VFW courtesy of Lakeshore Records. This edition will be the only physical release of Steve Moore's score..."

Seems like one that's going to sell out within a few minutes. At least it's free shipping. Typically their double LPs are $35 plus $6 for shipping anyway.
By vinyljunkie
Totally agree with you on the pricing of VFW -- love the score but why $40??? Just worried as they're supposedly only pressing 500

By inksb
Limited to 500. Damn it. It makes me wonder if they just set it at $40 because it's free shipping week and they want to recoup that cost a little.