Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By monsterworship
Spun out of control wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:43 pm Forgive me if someone has already posted these are on the way.... but looks like WRWTFWW is going more 'mainstream' - up to a point - with its cult soundtrack choices
damn, i'm jealous of that Ghoulies. i exchanged emails with Richard Band about it once, but it seemedl ike waxwork was sitting on it. and he wanted a dumb amount of money for what was less than a 10" of music.
By abedunk
A reissue of Silent Night, Deadly Night for RSD Black Friday - NOT the score, just the songs coming from 1984 Publishing? A couple of "songs written for the film" added, but I'd thought Death Waltz gave me everything I wanted in 2014. The new Goulish Gary art is great, plus "one-of-a-kind" 35mm clips of the original film print.... Darn it, I might have to double dip for this one. https://www.rue-morgue.com/new-deluxe-s ... ck-friday/
By inksb
abedunk wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:07 pm A reissue of Silent Night, Deadly Night for RSD Black Friday - NOT the score, just the songs coming from 1984 Publishing? A couple of "songs written for the film" added, but I'd thought Death Waltz gave me everything I wanted in 2014. The new Goulish Gary art is great, plus "one-of-a-kind" 35mm clips of the original film print.... Darn it, I might have to double dip for this one. https://www.rue-morgue.com/new-deluxe-s ... ck-friday/
And Burning Witches is reissuing the score for SNDN. I was so confused seeing both announcements next to each other.
By Mateo Sanboval
abedunk wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:07 pm A reissue of Silent Night, Deadly Night for RSD Black Friday - NOT the score, just the songs coming from 1984 Publishing? A couple of "songs written for the film" added, but I'd thought Death Waltz gave me everything I wanted in 2014. The new Goulish Gary art is great, plus "one-of-a-kind" 35mm clips of the original film print.... Darn it, I might have to double dip for this one. https://www.rue-morgue.com/new-deluxe-s ... ck-friday/
Abe! Great to see you, friend. I don't remember these songs terribly well, but I definitely agree that the new artwork is wicked fun.
By Hatter313
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:23 pm
Abe! Great to see you, friend. I don't remember these songs terribly well, but I definitely agree that the new artwork is wicked fun.
Gary Pullin is tough to beat, I’ve got an original sketch I bought from him that holds a place of honor on my wall. Probably my favorite illustrator working today
By static14
monsterworship wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:30 pm
Spun out of control wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:43 pm Forgive me if someone has already posted these are on the way.... but looks like WRWTFWW is going more 'mainstream' - up to a point - with its cult soundtrack choices
damn, i'm jealous of that Ghoulies. i exchanged emails with Richard Band about it once, but it seemedl ike waxwork was sitting on it. and he wanted a dumb amount of money for what was less than a 10" of music.
Wonder if WRWTFWW were able to get the price down by doing all three at once?
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:56 pm
Gary Pullin is tough to beat, I’ve got an original sketch I bought from him that holds a place of honor on my wall. Probably my favorite illustrator working today
Uh...gonna need a picture of that one, Hatter.

static14 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:08 pm
monsterworship wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:30 pm
Wonder if WRWTFWW were able to get the price down by doing all three at once?
I've been wondering the same.
By Hatter313
@mateo, as requested :)

58308D4F-5951-4F19-87C4-6D2B3DFF5B92.jpeg
58308D4F-5951-4F19-87C4-6D2B3DFF5B92.jpeg (2.73 MiB) Viewed 2103 times
By Mateo Sanboval
Fantastic, Hatter. What a cool pairing. Love the classic "monsters".
By Hatter313
Yeah, it was a hard one to resist when I saw it. I think I literally ran to the atm at the hotel and then back across the street to the convention space. I think it was mondocon 3.
By deafmetal
Hatter313 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:09 pm Yeah, it was a hard one to resist when I saw it. I think I literally ran to the atm at the hotel and then back across the street to the convention space. I think it was mondocon 3.
I remember when you bought that sketch, CJ. What a great memento from the convention.
By Hatter313
deafmetal wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:27 pm
Hatter313 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:09 pm Yeah, it was a hard one to resist when I saw it. I think I literally ran to the atm at the hotel and then back across the street to the convention space. I think it was mondocon 3.
I remember when you bought that sketch, CJ. What a great memento from the convention.
Good days man, good days indeed!
By CrossedPete
Looks like waxwork is releasing Bride of Frankenstein tomorrow. According to the post it’s sourced from the original 1935 acetates and the original masters
Attachments
232FEEA9-1055-47F4-9617-137F154A89FC.png
232FEEA9-1055-47F4-9617-137F154A89FC.png (521.65 KiB) Viewed 2052 times
By chiefbrody
You don't remember the songs, @mateo?!? Some crackers on it (pun both intended and unintended - Schrodinger's pun).

I agree with you Abe, I'm not sure I need those two extra songs, but that artwork is pretty special.

Is the Burning Witches' score just the same as the DWRC one from years ago?
By ScoJo
Re: The Bride - I like the Phantom City art!

It sounds like the source is same as the 2019 restoration released on CD by LaLaLand:

https://www.discogs.com/Franz-Waxman-Th ... e/14297744

As I only have the soundtrack on vinyl via the Music on Vinyl release from 2013, which it turns out is a re-recording (bleuch!), I am definitely going to jump on this despite the splattery wax.

By jgibbs4053
The response when I asked what the diff was going to be
Attachments
334212C8-E66E-4B1D-B205-30281CF62D6F.jpeg
334212C8-E66E-4B1D-B205-30281CF62D6F.jpeg (369.33 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
By chiefbrody
jgibbs4053 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:31 pm The response when I asked what the diff was going to be
That's interesting, thanks for sharing. I normally enthusiastically welcome downloads, but I "double dipped" on the DW by buying the CD version too. I'll be interested to hear if the extra cues are worth it.

I remember DW releasing SNDN and Christmas Evil - they were blind buys for me as I'm a Christmas enthusiast, and they didn't disappoint. I keep meaning to get the CE download from Mondo's bandcamp, as I don't have that digitally. Those releases were slap bang in the middle of my purple patch with DW.
By Mateo Sanboval
@Chief - I really don't! In spite of having the first five SNDN films on VHS, I shamefully have no recollection of the songs. When the Christmas boxes come out, I'll reacquaint myself.

@ScoJo - Ditto on all fronts.

@jgibbs - That's good info right there. Not sure if I like or listen to the DWRC pressing enough to go again, but I'm at least considering it now.
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:57 am Re: The Bride - I like the Phantom City art!

It sounds like the source is same as the 2019 restoration released on CD by LaLaLand:

https://www.discogs.com/Franz-Waxman-Th ... e/14297744

As I only have the soundtrack on vinyl via the Music on Vinyl release from 2013, which it turns out is a re-recording (bleuch!), I am definitely going to jump on this despite the splattery wax.

The release party for the CD last year was held near me in Sleepy Hollow (yes, the real one) and I had the good fortune to attend. Franz Waxman's son (may have been grandson actually, although he was up there) was there to give a talk and they screened the film. The CD is indeed the original recordings and is a huge deal, and while that MOV release is great for what was available at the time,(one fo the first "reissue" scores i bought on wax before finding this place etc.), if this score is your cup in the least, this is a GREAT release.

I had asked the lalaland rep there is waxwork was going to release this given how many other licenses they shared and he had told me he wasn't 100% yet but that they did have some sort of dual contract with them so he thought it was likely, glad to see that come to fruition.
By static14
It’s awesome that its getting a re-issue but its kind of a bummer it isn't expanded. I think i’ll stick with my old copy until it gets the expanded treatment by someone.
By Hatter313
jgibbs4053 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:57 pm BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (WOJCIECH KILAR)

https://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/or ... 4n7Bzlq2aN
Finally! I have a Portuguese pressing I think and it’s scratched to hell. Expanded and redesigned would be delightful but I’ll take a straight reissue for now in a heartbeat
By Mateo Sanboval
jgibbs4053 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:57 pm BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (WOJCIECH KILAR)

https://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/or ... 4n7Bzlq2aN
Perfect time of year for this to get a re-release.

static14 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:18 pm It’s awesome that its getting a re-issue but its kind of a bummer it isn't expanded. I think i’ll stick with my old copy until it gets the expanded treatment by someone.
An expansion would be most welcome.