Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By texasvinyl
http://starvingdaughters.bigcartel.com/

Starving Daughters "We Were Eggs" is back up for sale in second private pressing. The first /100 pressing was in mid 2013. This second pressing is also /100 but this time on a yellow marbled wax instead of black.

It's a terrific album, on IG I called it a "gumbo of cinematic psych rock, prog, samples and Italian library records." You can check out some of the tracks on Youtube and Starving Daughters bandcamp page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4MQ_SeS8Dg
By 10T5
Ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes,
Thanks for the heads up!
Waited for this repress for days and months and years!
By minus_ape
Four Flies Rec. is going to kick out two intriguing compilations.

Esterno Notte:

"urban jazz-funk, latenite breaks, cinematic prog & psych from Italian RCA film music vaults (1970-1976)"

https://soundcloud.com/fourfliesrecords/esternonotte

Esterno Giorno:

"open air jazz & psych-beat, daytime breaks, latin & bossa from Italian RCA film music vaults (1964-1976)"

https://soundcloud.com/fourfliesrecords/esternogiorno

the samples sound great, very promising.
By Mateo Sanboval
Thanks, minus_ape. These sound excellent. Has anyone scored any Four Flies releases Stateside or do I need to start looking across the water?
By reddye6
Four Flies releases are currently on the home page of the Two Headed Dog online shop, which is in the US.

LINK
By tim28212
Spun out of control wrote:Well this could be interesting.... Hans Zimmer and Junkie XL team up.... for a triple vinyl LP splurge:
was just looking at that, interesting indeed
By blue15
minus_ape wrote:For all you Morricone-completists out there:

A couple of albums new on / first time on vinyl (as far as i know), including 'Ad Ogni Costi',
'Ci Risiamo Vero Provvidenza', 'D’Amore Si Muore' and 'Uccellacci E Uccellini'.
This is actually the third go-round for AD OGNI COSTO on vinyl. It was originally released in 1967 in Italy as a non-commercial title in the legendary RCA SP series, and the original has been a top-rare title ever since. It got a limited reissue with the same cover by Intermezzo in the 1980s, and has also had several CD incarnations. Here's the original:

By Little Walter
Am I wrong to remember that Shadows' score by Mingus was never paid for and thus never completed? I only remember tiny strands of jazz in weird places in the movie, but it couldn't constitute a whole record release . . I would think?
By abedunk
Picked up a copy of Shadows via Forced Exposure (now out of stock) and it's a killer. From what I've read, the film went through several changes over several different cuts/screenings in the late 50s. Mingus and his band recorded over 3 hours of material, mostly cut from the 1959 (final?) cut. Wikipedia says band member Shafi Hadi was the horn featured in that reworking. The album is excellent, with an early version of "Nostalgia in Times Square" - worth grabbing while it's still available!
By Mateo Sanboval
abedunk wrote:Picked up a copy of Shadows via Forced Exposure (now out of stock) and it's a killer. From what I've read, the film went through several changes over several different cuts/screenings in the late 50s. Mingus and his band recorded over 3 hours of material, mostly cut from the 1959 (final?) cut. Wikipedia says band member Shafi Hadi was the horn featured in that reworking. The album is excellent, with an early version of "Nostalgia in Times Square" - worth grabbing while it's still available!
Howdy, Abe! How do you find the pressing quality? I don't have any Doxy LPs and would love (anyone's) input on their fidelity.
By Little Walter
abedunk wrote:Picked up a copy of Shadows via Forced Exposure (now out of stock) and it's a killer. From what I've read, the film went through several changes over several different cuts/screenings in the late 50s. Mingus and his band recorded over 3 hours of material, mostly cut from the 1959 (final?) cut. Wikipedia says band member Shafi Hadi was the horn featured in that reworking. The album is excellent, with an early version of "Nostalgia in Times Square" - worth grabbing while it's still available!
Reading some up-to-date articles on the experience verifies that, and I'm really glad you brought that up. Apparently, the original cut was lost and not rediscovered until 2004. I read about the score in Stanley Booth's Rhythm Oil in a chapter about Phineas Newborn Jr. and his role in the score. Rumors up until that point were that Mingus presented only fourteen seconds of material to Cassavetes during the three hour recording session which must have been spurred and perpetuated by the mere short bursts of actual score in the final, re-worked film. This gives me something to hunt down.
By NathanLurker
texasvinyl wrote:Axiom is up for sale now at ship to Shore in a limited variant
I saw that LITA have this title as well, and my local record shop order from LITA, I'll get them to get a copy for me, this looks like a nice soundtrack and I looooove Metroid.

--

Also, FOUR FLIES have their 2 new compilations (Esterno Notte & Esterno Giorno) up for preorder on Bandcamp HERE . Shipping on or around 25 January 2016
By Mateo Sanboval
This is one of the most useless SPECIAL EDITIONS I've ever seen. Gimmick city. No offense to anyone who wants, enjoys, or buys this; there are elements about it that are cool and/or interesting. It's just that all of it - every last bit - is wholly unnecessary. Spend the money it takes to produce this behemoth and license more, great, as-yet-unheard0on-vinyl scores.

https://youtu.be/41ONrSYu38k

PS - I cannot figure out how to embed a video so you'll have to click through.
By static14
But @Mateo it's spread out over a bunch of 7 inch records to make it a total pain to listen to in its entirety, and it's housed in a metal box with "real" "fake" bullet holes it! Plus some post cards?!
By NathanLurker
Yeah there is really no upside to getting this soundtrack on several 7 inches. The boxset comes with the 2x12'' LP anyway, so when exactly would you spin the 7'' ? it's not like it's a singles collection that you'd want to listen only one track of. It's a very cool item, but a terrible soundtrack release. Easy to pass.

the 2LP is fantastic though. I picked up the TMR version last week. I don't think the other version (is it Decca ? Universal?) can actually be better than the Third Man's edition.
By Mateo Sanboval
static14 wrote:But @Mateo it's spread out over a bunch of 7 inch records to make it a total pain to listen to in its entirety, and it's housed in a metal box with "real" "fake" bullet holes it! Plus some post cards?!
Bing-f'n-go.