Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Dollarhyde
@jimmy

Wow!! Thanks, I just caved a few days ago on the Porco Rosso and Kiki LP's. I had a feeling it was only a matter of time for this to happen, I guess spirited away is probably around the corner too.

But damn!! Gonna be broke for a time ;P
By inksb
Thanks for the heads up on those Mononoke LPs, I will definitely be interested in grabbing the soundtrack. I'll pass on the symphonic suite but the image album seems interesting, maybe I'll wait for @dollarhyde to buy it and tell me if it's essential ;)

There's a link to pre-order at Norman Records, the soundtrack is going to be £70!!!! I'll be waiting to order from some one stateside or even from Japan. The previous releases have all been around $45-$55 if I am remembering correctly
By Dollarhyde
@ inksb

The mononoke OST is 2xLP hence the crazy price. I will try and wait and see if amazon.jp do preorders for them. I had good experiences doing this with the Laputa and Toru releases.
By inksb
Dollarhyde wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:12 pm @ inksb

The mononoke OST is 2xLP hence the crazy price. I will try and wait and see if amazon.jp do preorders for them. I had good experiences doing this with the Laputa and Toru releases.
For some reason I thought a few of the other releases were 2LP but now that I look they were all one. I kind of feel like I need this one so I may just have to cough up the money for it. I'll definitely be keeping any eye on the amazon.jp prices as well. I want the new vinyl reissues of Nujabes lp's and they go for $60+ in the US but if I order from amazon.jp they are around $40.
By Dollarhyde
inksb wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:33 pm

For some reason I thought a few of the other releases were 2LP but now that I look they were all one. I kind of feel like I need this one so I may just have to cough up the money for it. I'll definitely be keeping any eye on the amazon.jp prices as well. I want the new vinyl reissues of Nujabes lp's and they go for $60+ in the US but if I order from amazon.jp they are around $40.
Good reasons for amazon.jp are they sort out your customs fees, meaning you dont have to pay extra handling fees and they dont hold your item at customs. Also I think they only debit your card when the record is dispatched.
This was my experience last time at least.
By inksb
Dollarhyde wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:09 pm
inksb wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:33 pm

Good reasons for amazon.jp are they sort out your customs fees, meaning you dont have to pay extra handling fees and they dont hold your item at customs. Also I think they only debit your card when the record is dispatched.
This was my experience last time at least.
Yeah I've ordered two LPs through them, one being Philharmony from Hosono and had nothing but great experience, incredibly fast international shipping for a reasonable price too.
By Hatter313
I do love that mononoke score...but nows definitely not the time. I’ll satisfy myself with my CD/digital copies and what few selections are of the ghibli comp mondo did years ago...
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:53 am I do love that mononoke score...but nows definitely not the time. I’ll satisfy myself with my CD/digital copies and what few selections are of the ghibli comp mondo did years ago...
It's not releasing until July, hopefully we have some sort of return to normality by then. Also I don't believe any of these reissues have sold out super fast so you should be able to find then for a while after the release date
By Hatter313
inksb wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:58 pm
Hatter313 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:53 am I do love that mononoke score...but nows definitely not the time. I’ll satisfy myself with my CD/digital copies and what few selections are of the ghibli comp mondo did years ago...
It's not releasing until July, hopefully we have some sort of return to normality by then. Also I don't believe any of these reissues have sold out super fast so you should be able to find then for a while after the release date
Ah that’s good news! I remember taping mononoke off TV when it first came on (I was unable for some reason to see the theatrical release, can’t recall why) and instantly falling in love with it. I think it was in Cartoon Network or maybe sci fi, only two stations I can imagine it was playing on. Bought it on VHS and every format since.

Quick Miyazaki story I may have told on here before.

When I was a kid I used to rent this movie from the local video store over and over again. Years later it had mostly faded from memory but I was always trying to see if could find it. I used to ask people all the time “it had these giant beetle type things and there was a glider, and at one point someone falls through quicksand into a cave” and that’s all I had for YEARS.

Cut to 2005 or so when Miyazaki really started booming here and Disney redubbed and rereleased ghiblis output here in the states, Having loved mononoke and spirited away I couldn’t wait to check out his other output. Lo and behold one of the first ones they rerelease is Naussica, and in my local Best Buy is a huge poster of the film. My jaw DROPPED. This was it! But how was that possible?

As any Miyazaki fan probably knows by now, Naussica was released in the US in a heavily edited and weirdly dubbed vhs called “warriors of the wind” in the late 80s. This was the VHS I had rented when I was a kid in the early 90s and watched all the time.

Short version, I was a life long Miyazaki fan before I knew I was haha.
By inksb
Hatter313 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:12 pm
inksb wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:58 pm
Ah that’s good news! I remember taping mononoke off TV when it first came on (I was unable for some reason to see the theatrical release, can’t recall why) and instantly falling in love with it. I think it was in Cartoon Network or maybe sci fi, only two stations I can imagine it was playing on. Bought it on VHS and every format since.

Quick Miyazaki story I may have told on here before.

When I was a kid I used to rent this movie from the local video store over and over again. Years later it had mostly faded from memory but I was always trying to see if could find it. I used to ask people all the time “it had these giant beetle type things and there was a glider, and at one point someone falls through quicksand into a cave” and that’s all I had for YEARS.

Cut to 2005 or so when Miyazaki really started booming here and Disney redubbed and rereleased ghiblis output here in the states, Having loved mononoke and spirited away I couldn’t wait to check out his other output. Lo and behold one of the first ones they rerelease is Naussica, and in my local Best Buy is a huge poster of the film. My jaw DROPPED. This was it! But how was that possible?

As any Miyazaki fan probably knows by now, Naussica was released in the US in a heavily edited and weirdly dubbed vhs called “warriors of the wind” in the late 80s. This was the VHS I had rented when I was a kid in the early 90s and watched all the time.

Short version, I was a life long Miyazaki fan before I knew I was haha.
That's a great story, love seeing stuff like that.
By Dollarhyde
Awesome story @hatter the way the west would hack and edit anime is atrocious.

Speaking of Mononoke Harvey Weinstein was involved with US theatrical licensing and was pushing to edit it down, but, most likely due to warriors of the wind, Mayazaki flat out refused.

Mayazaki just sent him in the post a note along with a samurai sword. The message in the note was just two words "no cuts".
By Hatter313
Dollarhyde wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:08 pm Awesome story @hatter the way the west would hack and edit anime is atrocious.

Speaking of Mononoke Harvey Weinstein was involved with US theatrical licensing and was pushing to edit it down, but, most likely due to warriors of the wind, Mayazaki flat out refused.

Mayazaki just sent him in the post a note along with a samurai sword. The message in the note was just two words "no cuts".
Hahaha yes! That’s one of my favorite stories! I pull that one out pretty frequently when talking about studio interference....which is now just occurring to me how weird it is that that’s a frequent topic of conversation in my friend group
By 334578rpm
Some new stuff from Cinedelic:

LP CNSV01 Luis Bacalov | Ennio Morricone - Pitturamusica
Limited Edition 250 Copies Gold vinyl
The amazing Luis E. Bacalov / Ennio Morricone 1971 experimental album repressed for the 1st time from the original master tapes.
http://www.cinedelic.com/en/catalogue/p ... etail.html

LP CNSV02 Egisto Macchi - Sud e magia
Limited Edition 100 Copies Colored vinyl | 300 Copies in Black vinyl
This pinnacle of experimenal library music is released for the first time with audio restored from the original masters tapes.
http://www.cinedelic.com/en/catalogue/s ... etail.html
By inksb
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:59 pm Daft Punk scoring Argentos next film.
https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/04/ ... ento-film/

Avengers 6LP Set
https://mondoshop.com/blogs/news/music- ... 50836f0d9e
I'm more curious if Argento has it in him to make another good movie, it's been a very long time since he made anything worth watching. I'm down for Daft Punk doing the score, seems fun.

Not really into the Marvel soundtracks but that set looks pretty nice for the fans. And I'm impressed Mondo kept the price under $100 for a 6 lp set.
By Revolver_OcelScott
Yeah, I love Daft Punk so I'm in. Only seen a few newer Argentos and I haven't really dug them.

I'm kinda the same with the Marvel scores, but these two were definitely great. Silvestri did a fantastic job. I'm most likely grabbing them.
By Jimmy_Mike
@33 - thanks for heads up. I was able to snag Eastern Flowers from LITA. I passed on Wabi Sabi for domestic budgetary reasons, hoping I won't regret that in a day or two which I prolly will. C'est la vie.
By monsterworship
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:59 pm Daft Punk scoring Argentos next film.
https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/04/ ... ento-film/

Avengers 6LP Set
https://mondoshop.com/blogs/news/music- ... 50836f0d9e
So my friend Max in italy said that this is fake news. Only that in an interview Dario said he would love to have DP do the score, and that a news paper just ran with the story as if they were doing it.. So its just wishful thinking, and kind of obvious since DP hasn't done any additional music or score for years and why would come back and score a 2020 argento film.