Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
For silver circle spinners, and fans of this awesome film and it's score, Intrada has released a 2-disc set of Carter Burwell's music for Psycho III!
Full score, bonus tracks plus the MCA soundtrack release for first time on CD.(Btw the press release notes read like translated chinese hifi instructions- what the?)

AAF55188-B67F-47D5-8231-12358A26A084-3145-0000050051F740CD.jpg
AAF55188-B67F-47D5-8231-12358A26A084-3145-0000050051F740CD.jpg (597.91 KiB) Viewed 2060 times

I don't own a cd player so trying to resist - if anyone does bite, maybe you'd do your old pal Sködj a snidey rip?? :)

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12171/.f
By havershaw
Hahaha, that description does sound like a bad translation. Weird.

I’m wholly unfamiliar with both this and Psycho II. I feel like I should check them both out?
By ScoJo
havershaw wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:01 am Hahaha, that description does sound like a bad translation. Weird.

I’m wholly unfamiliar with both this and Psycho II. I feel like I should check them both out?
Psycho II is wonderful, one of Goldsmith's best - romantic and scary and lush and quite distinct from Herrmann's work. Psycho III is a very different beast and it's hard for me to guess how much you might like the score if you don't know/love the film (which I truly do - I was pretty obsessed with it as a teen and skipped school a few days in a row to see in the theatre over and over) It has some crossover with Blood Simple so if you like that score, but then it also has some super-duper 80s synclavier action and wailing sax! I love it to bits, especially the main theme and the cue Mother, but suck it and see - just, 'watch the guitar' ;-)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qEEfGNZ8eiY
By Bezulsqy
I heard the score to Psycho II for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I found it a fantastic listen. Psycho III I don't even think I have ever seen.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:08 am I heard the score to Psycho II for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I found it a fantastic listen. Psycho III I don't even think I have ever seen.
Rectify my brother! It is fantastic, directed by Norman Bates himself, it's the character/story reinvented as an 80s slasher film (though it's also very sweet and quite moving imo) Wildly underrated film.

Plus..... Fahey!! :O

By tim28212
ScoJo wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:34 am
havershaw wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:01 am Hahaha, that description does sound like a bad translation. Weird.

Psycho II is wonderful, one of Goldsmith's best - romantic and scary and lush and quite distinct from Herrmann's work. Psycho III is a very different beast and it's hard for me to guess how much you might like the score if you don't know/love the film (which I truly do - I was pretty obsessed with it as a teen and skipped school a few days in a row to see in the theatre over and over) It has some crossover with Blood Simple so if you like that score, but then it also has some super-duper 80s synclavier action and wailing sax! I love it to bits, especially the main theme and the cue Mother, but suck it and see - just, 'watch the guitar' ;-)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qEEfGNZ8eiY
Psycho II is one of my favorite Goldsmith scores. I adore it!
By Hatter313
Just here to pile on my love for psycho 2 score. You can hear some of it in gold is the legend score too, or at least the restoration of it on the recent prints, I don’t know if it was there on the original UK prints but it’s in the scene where they are setting up the mirrors.

Psycho 3 is also great stuff
By 334578rpm
I love this score, I have the Dagored reissue with the terrible cover. I may order this and sell off the Dagored version. The OG artwork is so much better.
Same, same, and same.
Last edited by 334578rpm on Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
By reddye6
Both Two Headed Dog and LITA have Exorcist 2 OST up for pre-order.
By Hatter313
reddye6 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:11 am Both Two Headed Dog and LITA have Exorcist 2 OST up for pre-order.
Expanded? Who is putting this out?

Edit: jackpot , straight repress. Looks like they are putting out Dune as well, didn’t MOV just do that?

Got an OG, but what a score
By inksb
Bub wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:21 pm Also, excited for that Simonetti. Never seen the movie but judging by the looks of it, I won't be disappointed.
If you like 80's Italian rip off cinema you should enjoy it. It's awful from traditional film standards but it serves a purpose. I just found this quote in a review and it's pretty accurate
Imagine THE TERMINATOR (1984), instead of killing Sarah Conner, falls in love with her and she with him; then battles a motley clutch of sweaty truckers in arm-wrestling matches while hitmen hired by a corporate bigwig track him down. That's HANDS in a nutshell.
Also thanks for the heads up on the Mondo post. Really hope they press it up and it doesn't cost $70
By Bub
inksb wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:33 pm
Bub wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:21 pm Also, excited for that Simonetti. Never seen the movie but judging by the looks of it, I won't be disappointed.
If you like 80's Italian rip off cinema you should enjoy it. It's awful from traditional film standards but it serves a purpose. I just found this quote in a review and it's pretty accurate
Imagine THE TERMINATOR (1984), instead of killing Sarah Conner, falls in love with her and she with him; then battles a motley clutch of sweaty truckers in arm-wrestling matches while hitmen hired by a corporate bigwig track him down. That's HANDS in a nutshell.
Thanks Inks! Definitely sounds like my kinda flick haha.

Also thanks for the heads up on the Mondo post. Really hope they press it up and it doesn't cost $70
Yeah $70 is nuts even for an import. I'm sure Mondo will come through.
By ScoJo
Bub wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:49 pm
inksb wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:33 pm
Thanks Inks! Definitely sounds like my kinda flick haha.

Yeah $70 is nuts even for an import. I'm sure Mondo will come through.
All releases of these Jet Tone soundtracks have been insane. Over £60-70+ retail price. Flipper levels of nuts. For once, I'm hoping that Mongo have managed to cut a deal with them and can release some of these at what Mongo constitutes to be 'reasonable' (ie already over priced, but not as nuts as the Jet Tone releases! ;) I'd love to have Chungking, In the Mood For Love and 2046.
By abedunk
Ah, Psycho III - I love this film.

That's David Sanborn on the sexy sax on that grimy "Scream of Love" theme.

I always thought the piano theme "Warm as a Cry for Help" is straight out of Music for the Masses-era Depeche Mode. A bit of "Behind the Wheel" maybe? The synth version is on the original pressing, looks like there are several versions on the 2xCD. Not sure I'll pull the trigger, though. Would love to see this expanded collection on a couple slabs o' wax!!
ScoJo wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:50 am For silver circle spinners, and fans of this awesome film and it's score, Intrada has released a 2-disc set of Carter Burwell's music for Psycho III!
Full score, bonus tracks plus the MCA soundtrack release for first time on CD.(Btw the press release notes read like translated chinese hifi instructions- what the?)

AAF55188-B67F-47D5-8231-12358A26A084-3145-0000050051F740CD.jpg

I don't own a cd player so trying to resist - if anyone does bite, maybe you'd do your old pal Sködj a snidey rip?? :)

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12171/.f
By Mateo Sanboval
abedunk wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:59 am That's David Sanborn on the sexy sax on that grimy "Scream of Love" theme.
A strong name for a strong set of lungs.
By reddye6
New limited cassette release from Evan Caminiti (1/2 of post-rock/dark Americana band Barn Owl), which is a soundtrack to a short film called Autoscopy.

This release sounds more synth-drone sinister. There are links to get the cassette from this page: https://dust-editions.bandcamp.com/album/autoscopy-ost