Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Dollarhyde
@hatter, haha yes! definitely wallpaper. Ok, I'm gonna attempt to auto translate some of these pics.

Here is another page from the same Flexi, and just noticed this cool pencil doodle next to the head of the earth Vs the flying saucers dude.
Attachments
IMG_20210228_135553.jpg
IMG_20210228_135553.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 2256 times
IMG_20210228_135615.jpg
IMG_20210228_135615.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 2256 times
By Spun out of control
static14 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:05 pm Just saw this. Don’t think anyone has posted it yet. The Beyond expanded score on tape

https://backfromthegravetapes.bandcamp. ... soundtrack
Thanks @Static - grabbed the Frizzi tape! :)

Without wishing to derail the new release thread (feels like we almost need a separate thread for Japanese oddities), some more early Ultraman / Kaiju 7-inch goodness on Teichiku... including a lovely pop-up of Ultraman and the team

The actual record has surface scratches all over it - obviously well loved by some kid.
Attachments
Ultraman vinyl single.jpg
Ultraman vinyl single.jpg (880.85 KiB) Viewed 2245 times
Ultraman pop up inner.jpg
Ultraman pop up inner.jpg (940.77 KiB) Viewed 2245 times
Ultraman 7-inch inner gatefold.jpg
Ultraman 7-inch inner gatefold.jpg (557.47 KiB) Viewed 2245 times
By ScoJo
Spun out of control wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:42 pm
static14 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:05 pm Just saw this. Don’t think anyone has posted it yet. The Beyond expanded score on tape

https://backfromthegravetapes.bandcamp. ... soundtrack
Without wishing to derail the new release thread (feels like we almost need a separate thread for Japanese oddities)
Here you go squire :

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=77988&p=135885&hilit=anime#p135885
By Revolver_OcelScott
inksb wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:01 pm package design is fucking terrible. Not a fan of the art at all.
Agreed 100%. I always feel like I'm the crazy one when they say "So and so artist knocked it out of the park" and it looks like that does.

It looks lazy, uninspired and cheap. But I like the OST, so looks like I'll be stuck looking at that thing.
By inksb
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:49 pm
inksb wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:01 pm package design is fucking terrible. Not a fan of the art at all.
Agreed 100%. I always feel like I'm the crazy one when they say "So and so artist knocked it out of the park" and it looks like that does.

It looks lazy, uninspired and cheap. But I like the OST, so looks like I'll be stuck looking at that thing.
I'm totally baffled by the over use of the biohazard symbol. The gatefold art is actually worse than the Alice Sweet Alice gatefold a few of us were complaining about last week. This design seems very much like they read a description of the film and looked at some keyart instead of taking the 90 minutes to watch the damn thing. But I'm in the same boat, I'll buy it because it's a great soundtrack.
By chiefbrody
You can consider me +1 on all the Nightmare City comments so far. Looking forward to picking it up though, it's long overdue a release.
By lazyben
Yeah, I have an original pressing of this score which was not cheap but I’ll probably buy this for the extra music.

As they’re calling it by the US name I’ll have to file it not with the original which is greatly offending my OCD.

I don’t even look at the artwork on these reissues as they’re usually godawful (seriously - I’ve never seen the inside of the gatefolds of most of them) so I have no idea why they’re all so proud of themselves on that front.
By Mateo Sanboval
lazyben wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:24 pm Yeah, I have an original pressing of this score which was not cheap but I’ll probably buy this for the extra music.

As they’re calling it by the US name I’ll have to file it not with the original which is greatly offending my OCD.

I don’t even look at the artwork on these reissues as they’re usually godawful (seriously - I’ve never seen the inside of the gatefolds of most of them) so I have no idea why they’re all so proud of themselves on that front.
fuh-fuh-fuh-fuh-fuh-fuh-ffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
-CKING HIPSTERS!!
By deafmetal
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:49 pm It looks lazy, uninspired and cheap. But I like the OST, so looks like I'll be stuck looking at that thing.
Sometimes it is better to make your own cover art...

+1 on the inner gatefold art comment. The ones with interesting art are so rare that they just feel like a waste of space now. Let's have some liner notes or historical photos, lobby cards... lazy af art splash wankfest every time.
By EvanCampbell
I am just glad it is not a mixed or splatter colored release. It has a fighting chance at sounding good. The original is an excellent sounding mastering.
By Mateo Sanboval
EvanCampbell wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:09 am I am just glad it is not a mixed or splatter colored release. It has a fighting chance at sounding good. The original is an excellent sounding mastering.
Hear, hear.
By inksb
deafmetal wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:50 pm
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:49 pm It looks lazy, uninspired and cheap. But I like the OST, so looks like I'll be stuck looking at that thing.
Sometimes it is better to make your own cover art...
Maybe brother Static would design a replacement jacket :)

I know I'd buy one.
By goodnightcigarettes
For what it’s worth, this Nightmare City pressing mirrors the tracklist from the Digitmovies release from 2013. It only came on CD, but at least the cover art is great. The DW art is so trash and kinda insulting. Amazing Cipriani OST, though. Personally, I am more than happy to keep skipping this lazy DW stuff and keep listening to the CD.

https://www.discogs.com/Stelvio-Ciprian ... se/6757849
By ScoJo
Increasingly have no desire to spend over the odds on fugly/splattery reissues just to have them on wax - I stick with digital for so much stuff. What's the point? They are often 'remastered' for vinyl from CD source, which can be fine of course, but I've lost the fetishism for having everything physically. And at double LP length/cost, with 18 inessential bonus jams.

As for DW artwork specifically, it's just a matter of taste - they think these look super cool, as do many folks who are buying them, so fair do's. This isn't the worst they've put out, at least with the front sleeve there's a grunginess and typeface treatment that harkens to an early 80s lofi aesthetic (though more diy punk/hardcore than 80s Italian horror/exploitation perhaps...)
Everyone is spot on about the inner spread though, of course - another 'two hour quick design mashup' vibe, just filling space.

But this would end up getting pared out of my collection a year from now, like many other virtually unplayed DW releases that I eventually realise I neither need nor have any love for, so I pass on spending 60 bucks (with a randomised option for another 30 in customs potentially...)

One thing that the pando has definitely shown me in clear relief, is that now I'm not browsing in stores at all, the amount of reissues that I used to impulse buy just 'because' has gone almost completely. I'm being way more deliberate anyway about my record spending. It'll probably change again once things open up, but maybe not. Those precious funds have been directed more towards locating good condition OGs and whatnot, which as we all know can be a major endorphin machine!!

Now, can someone throw me 900 bones for an original Nightmare City??
Last edited by ScoJo on Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:57 am Increasingly have no desire to spend over the odds on fugly/splattery reissues just to have them on wax - I stick with digital for so much stuff. What's the point? They are often 'remastered' for vinyl from CD source, which can be fine of course, but I've lost the fetishism for having everything physically. And at double LP length/cost, with 18 inessential bonus jams.

As for DW artwork specifically, it's just a matter of taste - they think these look super cool, as do many folks who are buying them, so fair do's.

But this would end up getting pared out of my collection a year from now, like many other virtually unplayed DW releases that I eventually realise I neither need nor have any love for.

Now, can someone throw me 900 bones for an original??
This^ I think there will always be some exceptions and I still love the idea of what these guys do but five years ago I was buying nearly everything and anything the boutiques put out and these days it’s maybe three releases a year. And if stuff like this continues to bring more people this awesome music then I’ll always be for it, but I’m leaning more towards quality over quantity these days
By ScoJo
I'm all about those exceptions, @H. I do genuinely appreciate when these labels take a chance and put out things like Thelma, Autopsy of Jane Doe, Luz (though again - I passed on the latter cuz I thought the art didn't work for the film at all, and am happy to 'spin' that score digitally...)
When it comes together right for me, like Thelma or Blackcoat's Daughter, I can be all about the occasional DW release. I'm just not all 'Pokemon' about this shit anymore ;-)
By ScoJo
Tbh I should just shut up and be grateful that WBYK seem to be getting fewer soundtrack commissions just now heh heh
By Hatter313
Excellent score