Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By texasvinyl
Not sure the 'Jazz in Soundtracks' thread survived the migration, so I'll post it in Now Playing.

Found this in a local shop today. It's a compilation on the Fontana label with 12 Miles Davis compositions used in the French films Elevator to the Scaffold and The Women Disappear
By texasvinyl

By far the best find of the day. Hell, it's gotten so hard to find used stuff that this might be the best find I've had in a year.

James Brown: Motherlode is a "compilation/live cut/rarities" album released in the late 80s. I'm usually not a big fan of that type of album, but this isn't your ordinary comp! Motherlode is straight funk fire from start to finish and includes some real gems like the 'Funk Bomb,' 'Untitled Instrumental' and a 9 minute version of 'People Get Up And Drive Your Funky Soul.' Shop must not have known what it was, they had it out for just a couple bucks. Without a doubt one of the best JB records, it will snap your neck.

Maybe one day I'll find the 2LP which came out about 15 years ago in Europe -- if anyone finds that for a cheap price, please let me know! This is the single LP which doesn't sound bad, but at ~25 minutes a side I'm sure the 2LP sounds more dynamic.

Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPP6LkvuK1E -- just the 9-minute 'People Get Up And Drive Your Funky Soul' remix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX5_Ptx9GfE -- full album, CD version (has a couple extra tracks that are missing from the LP.
By bpwlogan
Nice record@Texas. I need to bump up the James Brown end of my collection. I have a greatest hits or two, but that's about it.

Texasvinyl wrote:
By far the best find of the day. Hell, it's gotten so hard to find used stuff that this might be the best find I've had in a year. Shop must not have known what it was, they had it out for just a couple bucks.

James Brown: Motherlode is a "compilation/live cut/rarities" album released in the late 80s. I'm usually not a big fan of that type of album, but this isn't your ordinary comp! Motherlode is straight funk fire from start to finish and includes some real gems like the instrumental 'Funk Bomb' and a 9 minute version of 'People Get Up And Drive Your Funky Soul.'

Maybe one day I'll find the 2LP which came out about 15 years ago in Europe. This is the single LP which doesn't sound bad, but at ~25 minutes a side I'm sure the 2LP sounds more dynamic.

Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPP6LkvuK1E[/quote]
By texasvinyl
I can't get enough, even though I already have a full expedit cubby of James Brown LPs. And it's not even close to being comprehensive! The dude put out so many records it's mind boggling. Trying to think of my favorites... Sex Machine, Papa's Got a Brand New Bag, The Payback, Hell, Live at the Apollo. Black Caesar. Please, Please Please. In The Jungle Groove is supposed to be awesome, I've been after that one for years but have yet to dig one up. Also, if you have a Half Price Books they usually stock those WaxTime reissues, and WaxTime reissued several early JB albums in the past few years. I can usually get them at HPB for $12-13.

JB is one of those artists whose stuff I prefer to find digging and not online. I bet if you found one copy of every pressing of every JB album you could fill a warehouse.
By bpwlogan
texasvinyl wrote:I can't get enough, even though I already have a full expedit cubby of James Brown LPs. And it's not even close to being comprehensive! The dude put out so many records it's mind boggling. Trying to think of my favorites... Sex Machine, Papa's Got a Brand New Bag, The Payback, Hell, Live at the Apollo. Black Caesar. Please, Please Please. In The Jungle Groove is supposed to be awesome, I've been after that one for years but have yet to dig one up. Also, if you have a Half Price Books they usually stock those WaxTime reissues, and WaxTime reissued several early JB albums in the past few years. I can usually get them at HPB for $12-13.

JB is one of those artists whose stuff I prefer to find digging and not online. I bet if you found one copy of every pressing of every JB album you could fill a warehouse.

Thanks @Texas. I'll hit HPB here in the Twin Cities. That's one great thing about the funk reissues most of them are at reasonable prices.
By bpwlogan
One of Funkadelic's last and best with some ripping guitar from Michael Hampton(Kidd Funkadelic), dance music never sounded so good!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 6138 times
By Dollarhyde
@deaf
Its a good score, nothing too exciting, but I'm a long time fan of the anime, such a bad ass movie. Recently watched it with subs rather than the dub. Alot was lost in the translation :) although the dub is pretty awesome in its own way.

Now spinning.
Attachments
2015-11-12 16.44.41.png
2015-11-12 16.44.41.png (1.07 MiB) Viewed 6089 times
By Dollarhyde
As @Bezulsqy and @NMA previously stated a brilliant and diverse sounding ost. I can see this one growing and growing on me. First rate b movie scoring!
Attachments
2015-11-17 15.25.32.png
2015-11-17 15.25.32.png (1.38 MiB) Viewed 5966 times