Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
Great episode this week @ScoJo. It is funny to hear our little community mentioned here and there. You mentioned Tim a few episodes ago, this week TG brought up a conversation we had on IG.
By Bezulsqy
Episode 6 was another fun and interesting listen. Best comment was from TG about the Friday the 13th scores:
If you have the first one you don't need any of the others. Literally I stopped buying the Friday scores because they all sound the same. ... I think I have the first 7 ...
The bit about all the different variants of the same scores and the releasing of the expanded Halloween 2018 score is a great topic to debate. I know that when I found out about Waxwork records I wanted to collect all the variants of everything they released. But I realized fairly soon that you cannot keep up with that unless you have an enormous amount of money to spend of don't want a lot of other releases. Nowadays I mainly pick up 1 version and depending on the title I'll get it immediately and try to get the most limited version or I simply wait for the inevitable sale or free shipping discount.
From a collector's stand point rather than from the perspective of a music lover those records companies have become masters of creating hype and playing on the fear of missing out. I have the feeling that most titles do not sell out that fast anymore or they receive a re-issue in 2 or 3 years after the first release. Of course titles like The Fountain and some others are the exception.

As I am not on twitter I will post some suggestions for future episodes to consider:
- one dedicated to scores that originated from the UK or have to do with the UK. Or one about Canadian scores. Or one discussing the differences between scores from different parts of the world. Maybe this is a little bit to specific. I don't think I really know a lot about British film scores to be honest.
- An overview or introduction to Serge Gainsbourg. Or any other composer that you feel deserves more attention. With a sort of buyers guide? Must haves that are affordable for instance.
- The above about Japanese composers and scores.
- Score oddities. Could be a strange version of a well known score or something else that makes it strange. I am thinking of a score to a movie a lot of people know with a release in for instance the Philippines.
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:41 am Episode 6 was another fun and interesting listen. Best comment was from TG about the Friday the 13th scores:
If you have the first one you don't need any of the others. Literally I stopped buying the Friday scores because they all sound the same. ... I think I have the first 7 ...
The bit about all the different variants of the same scores and the releasing of the expanded Halloween 2018 score is a great topic to debate. I know that when I found out about Waxwork records I wanted to collect all the variants of everything they released. But I realized fairly soon that you cannot keep up with that unless you have an enormous amount of money to spend of don't want a lot of other releases. Nowadays I mainly pick up 1 version and depending on the title I'll get it immediately and try to get the most limited version or I simply wait for the inevitable sale or free shipping discount.
From a collector's stand point rather than from the perspective of a music lover those records companies have become masters of creating hype and playing on the fear of missing out. I have the feeling that most titles do not sell out that fast anymore or they receive a re-issue in 2 or 3 years after the first release. Of course titles like The Fountain and some others are the exception.

As I am not on twitter I will post some suggestions for future episodes to consider:
- one dedicated to scores that originated from the UK or have to do with the UK. Or one about Canadian scores. Or one discussing the differences between scores from different parts of the world. Maybe this is a little bit to specific. I don't think I really know a lot about British film scores to be honest.
- An overview or introduction to Serge Gainsbourg. Or any other composer that you feel deserves more attention. With a sort of buyers guide? Must haves that are affordable for instance.
- The above about Japanese composers and scores.
- Score oddities. Could be a strange version of a well known score or something else that makes it strange. I am thinking of a score to a movie a lot of people know with a release in for instance the Philippines.
Thanks for listening B, glad you enjoy it - let's face it, the pod really only exists for about 50 peeps/chums ;)

All solid suggestions btw, I will run them past The Boss. I could easily fill an episode with Gainsbourg chat, I adore him, but not sure about TG.
By CrossedPete
@scojo I know the opening song to your podcast is from Beverly Hills Cop 2 and I love it every time I listen to your podcast. Has that track ever been released? I found the soundtrack a few days ago but decided not to pick it up cause I don’t believe it’s included. Does anyone know if it’s been released anywhere?
By ScoJo
CrossedPete wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:09 pm @scojo I know the opening song to your podcast is from Beverly Hills Cop 2 and I love it every time I listen to your podcast. Has that track ever been released? I found the soundtrack a few days ago but decided not to pick it up cause I don’t believe it’s included. Does anyone know if it’s been released anywhere?
Haha, nice pull Pete! It's actually not the cue from the film, it's my own 'take' on it which also goes back to Faltermeyer blatantly referencing a John Carpenter track (The Duke Arrives) from EFNY :)

No official release of BHCII score out there, though there are boots - including a pretty nice quality full soundtrack on YT:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH0q7MG52wE[/youtube]

EDIT* Well I'm not often right but I'm wrong again - LaLa Land released the score on CD just this year apparently! :O

https://lalalandrecords.com/beverly-hil ... ed-edtion/
Last edited by ScoJo on Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By CrossedPete
Nice one @scojo you totally tricked me. I thought it was the track from the movie. Do you have a version of the song you can share? I kinda want to do a side by side listen.
By ScoJo
CrossedPete wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:17 pm Nice one @scojo you totally tricked me. I thought it was the track from the movie. Do you have a version of the song you can share? I kinda want to do a side by side listen.
I'm happy to share it bud but tbh it's just a 30secs intro theme, it's everything that you hear at the start of the podcast ;)
By ScoJo
ScoJo wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:53 pm
CrossedPete wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:17 pm Nice one @scojo you totally tricked me. I thought it was the track from the movie. Do you have a version of the song you can share? I kinda want to do a side by side listen.
I'm happy to share it bud but tbh it's just a 30secs intro theme, it's everything that you hear at the start of the podcast ;)
EDIT* Here you go!

https://soundcloud.com/scott-johannsson ... cast-theme
By CrossedPete
ScoJo wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:55 pm
ScoJo wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:53 pm
EDIT* Here you go!

https://soundcloud.com/scott-johannsson ... cast-theme
Thanks so I did my own little comparison haha:). I listened to the Faltermeyer version, then to the podcast theme. I then put on Carpenters the duke arrives and back to the podcast theme.

I have to say when I listen to the podcast I thought I was listening to the BHC2 theme note for note, but really it’s only a small part you actually take from it and expand on it. The same could be said about The Duke Arrives which is one of Carpenters best tracks IMO. All in all all three tracks are great. I had a fun 8min listen and @scojo you did an excellent job maybe it’s time for the expanded cut :)
By Bezulsqy
Episode 7 of the Tony and Scott Motion Picture Soundtrack Podcast

https://tonyandscottpodcast.libsyn.com/

Again a very enjoyable episode.

Congrats Tony with your Cinevox special! I would definitely end a streak of not buying records for something like that.
I love Quartet Records and ordered Banditi a Rome the moment it went up. Great score by the Maestro. Movie is also very enjoyable. I believe it is only available on DVD. I'll send a digital copy to SJ in case the both of you or one of you want to watch it.
I also want to buy more OGs than re-issues but I am postponing buying a couple OG at a price point between 150-300 euro because I also have a bunch of other records in my Discogs cart that I really want and would cost me 200 euro for 10 records. So do I want 1 or 2 for 300 euro or 10 for 200?
Is there another source than Discogs where you could find out if a repress from the seventies uses the same stamper/source as the OG form the late sixties?

Personally I can't be bothered RSD-wise. I see Transmission already has that Ciani 7" from the last drop discounted to 9 pounds.

Also Terror Vision rules! I have every soundtrack release they did on tape and subscriber version vinyl. The passion for the movies and music really come through on every release they do. And I love all the strange things they add to any package they send.

And I love the score to Nightmare City but that DWRC artwork is stupid. It has nothing to do with the movie. I watched the movie for the first time around the time of the release of the re-issue and there is not a single gas mask nor a biohazard sign in the movie.

While I type this I see an email from Transmission saying they have over a 100 copies of the Keep and 70 of their UK exclusive version of People Under The Stairs.

The Eaten Alive release I almost got when it was listed at my favorite online store but they unfortunately did not get any more copies. I believe it is the same as the tape and contains dialogue and/or screaming.
By EvanCampbell
Just recently discovered this thread so I need to give the other episodes a listen. Always enjoyable hearing the enthusiasm with you both. The Gate and Shock also have just moved up to my wantlist. I am familiar with Shock and always liked the music but not a fan of the film. Probably the reason I never purchased it. Every couple of years I view the movie and remember I dislike it lol but think I need the score. Hearing you both talk about it and Tony's enthusiasm made me give it another listen last night and damn it is better then I remember
The Gate I saw in the theater and enjoyed but the music did not jump out to me so I have no memory of it. Scott you are correct there is some wonderful practical and stop motion effects that are still impressive to this day. Like when the construction worker falls over and breaks apart into the tiny creatures...awesome. And a very cool makeup by Craig Reardon (Poltergeist, Funhouse) of the dead construction worker. The Gate had a star studded effects crew of some really important folks to the business. I remember an interview I had with David Allen (another legendary stop motion artist) and he told me that Randy Cook (who sculpted and animated the tall Gate creature at the end of the film) was down stairs sculpting something for a film they were working on. After the interview we went down stairs and bothered Randy while he was sculpting. I remember being slightly star struck by meeting both Allen and Cook that day.
I checked out the packaging online and it is very impressive. These are fun to listen to and Informative...totally unaware of that John Scott story.
By ScoJo
The Shukai will not disappoint, D!

Well thanks to a certain Mr Giles on the last episode, and a member here showing off their booty, I just dropped substantial coin-that-I-don't-really-have on a Japanese pressing of an Italian score. THANKSALOT TG!! (and goddam the OG Itch!!)
Last edited by ScoJo on Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:47 pm The Shikai will not disappoint, D!

Well thanks to a certain Mr Giles on the last episode, and a member here showing off their booty, I just dropped substantial coin-that-I-don't-really-have on a Japanese pressing of an Italian score. THANKSALOT TG!! (and goddam the OG Itch!!)
I went and listened to that Shikai 7" immediately after the episode as well, great stuff on there. Just a bit too much for a 7" + shipping for me. If it pops up stateside I'd probably grab it.
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:38 am Latest episode 8 of the T&S pod is a Barry DeVorzon special, in case you missed it

https://tonyandscottpodcast.libsyn.com/ ... -episode-8

I did a BDV mixtape sampler as a musical companion to the pod chat

https://m.soundcloud.com/scott-johannsson/devorzon-mix
Just finished the DeVorzon episode and currently listening to the sampler. There is some straight fire on here, thanks for making the mix
By inksb
Here's a new mix from Eric Adrian Lee & Timothy Fife

https://www.mixcloud.com/the-cowboys-fr ... -volume-2/

Eric Lee (The Cowboys from Sweden) is joined by special guest, musician and all around good guy Timothy Fife (with solo releases on Death Waltz, Spun Out of Control, Burning Witches Records, Library of the Occult, etc..) for a deep dive into the world of rare beats, soundtracks and library music. Eric is Odds (odd numbered tracks) Timothy (even numbered tracks). Join us as we play musical leapfrog through the trippy sounds of the 1970s and early 80s.

Like what you hear? Download the mix at naturefilm.blogspot.com
By Bezulsqy
episode 10 for the Tony & Scott Motion Picture Podcast was very enjoyable. I am amazed by how you guys remember and know all those tidbits about scores and people that worked on films.

I have never seen The Fourth Man... I really should soon. It is in Dutch by the way.
Great talk about First Blood and Rambo in general. I loved Rambo 2 and 3! I still need to see the last one. I should start rewatching movies more. I don't think I have rewatched a movie in the last 5 years. So many flicks I still need to go through...
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:55 am episode 10 for the Tony & Scott Motion Picture Podcast was very enjoyable. I am amazed by how you guys remember and know all those tidbits about scores and people that worked on films.

I have never seen The Fourth Man... I really should soon. It is in Dutch by the way.
Great talk about First Blood and Rambo in general. I loved Rambo 2 and 3! I still need to see the last one. I should start rewatching movies more. I don't think I have rewatched a movie in the last 5 years. So many flicks I still need to go through...
You really should see The Fourth Man. That is all!
By CrossedPete
Just finished listening to the latest episode and I wish I waited a week or so to get the full lists :). Listening to a podcast do a top ten list for something I’m into/collect makes me feel like I’m trading hockey cards. Got it, got it, need it, got it.

I love Pee Wee made the list I love everything pee wee. I think that was an interesting talking point. Movies you grow up with and love. When you try to share it with a friend or loved one and the other person is just not into it. A big one for me is Goonies. My wife never watched it growing up and hated it the first time we watched it. Every now and then I’ll put it on thinking this will be the time it clicks but nope never does.

Also I’ve never seen a copy of First Blood on VS is this such a thing? I really need to see pics to believe it. I know first blood part 2 is for sure but I’ve never seen a copy for the first one. If this is true I need this yesterday. Honestly after seein @bez post the Japanese pressings this might be a album I track down multiple copies just for cover art alone.

And lastly did my ears deceive me was there a bit of a remix on the outro? Nice
By Bezulsqy
I never got into PeeWee... He was not really a thing in Belgium and the Netherlands I believe. I think I have seen one of his movies in the eighties on TV or rented VHS... Only remember him from appearances on MTV award shows I think

As for Loek Dikker. You pronounce the oe as the oo from book. Or rather simply just say look :-)

I put the VS of the 4th man on my wish list. I mentioned the movie to my girlfriend. She is a bit older and Dutch and she hates Dutch movies because and I quote: there is always piss and shit and sex in them...
By ScoJo
CrossedPete wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:41 am Also I’ve never seen a copy of First Blood on VS is this such a thing? I really need to see pics to believe it. I know first blood part 2 is for sure but I’ve never seen a copy for the first one.

And lastly did my ears deceive me was there a bit of a remix on the outro? Nice

Re: Varese First Blood - please see our recent important public statement.

Re: Outro theme - TG took it upon hisself to run the theme tune backwards. Sounded good! 😎
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:41 am
As for Loek Dikker. You pronounce the oe as the oo from book. Or rather simply just say look :-)

I put the VS of the 4th man on my wish list. I mentioned the movie to my girlfriend. She is a bit older and Dutch and she hates Dutch movies because and I quote: there is always piss and shit and sex in them...
She isn’t wrong! 😂

And thanks for the Dutch pronunciation fact-check sir.
By CrossedPete
ScoJo wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:24 am Re: Varese First Blood - please see our recent important public statement.
Haha I can rest easy now thanks. I was going to troll the T&G podcast on Twitter but I thought better of it 😜
ScoJo wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:24 am Re: Outro theme - TG took it upon hisself to run the theme tune backwards. Sounded good! 😎
that’s funny I couldn’t tell if it was just being played backwards or if was a remix. Didn’t sound too bad