Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Tron4Life
Can anybody help me out a bit? I want to purchase John Barry's Dances With Wolves. Is it safe to buy either spanish or dutch pressing of this score from 1990?

I noticed ORG also pressed it last year, but it's a bit pricey.

Any help would be appreciated.
By Pain_Bubbles
Generally speaking Dutch pressings are considered to be better than Spanish.
Spanish and Portugese pressings had a pretty dodgy reputation, a large Dutch record store chain would often import large batches of cheap Spanish and Portugese pressings which often sounded atrocious (Lots of crackle from poorly reground vinyl) and are still abundant in 2nd hand record stores today.
There certainly are decent Spanish pressings, but I don't know if Dances with wolves is one of them.

I am not very impressed by ORG's soundtrack reissues: The pricing is pure insanity, the pressing quality is nothing special in my (admitedly limited) experience, I even had to return my copy of Gladiator because it was too noisy.
Certainly not worth 70-110€ per album.
They also almost always seem to pick titles that are readily available for 5$ or less and sound great to begin with. (Something most "audiophile" labels are guilty of) The Gerhardt recordings of Rozsa and Herrmann for example, and the upcoming "Mysterious film world of Bernard Herrmann" are not albums in need of remastering, they all sound fantastic on their original LP release and are some of the cheapest records I've ever bought.

Long story short: I'd try a Dutch pressing...
By Tron4Life
@ Pain_Bubbles Thanks for your reply. I've read about faulty Gladiator pressings from Steve Hoffman music forums. Because of that and pricing I have never purchased it.

I'm not willing to spend that much to Dances with wolves either. Spanish pressing would be available for little less than dutch pressing. Choices choices...
By unpopular_poet
@Tron -- sorry I am brain dead and jet lagged...I didn't even realize I was pointing you at the same reissue you already mentioned...ugh. I am going to be back at where I saw a few copies in MN a while back in a few weeks, I will take a look and grab an extra if they have it still.

By tim28212
@tron, I don't know if you are still interested in Dances but Elusive disc is having a sale and you can get the ORG 2lp for $35. I finally broke and got it for that price and it's great.

Dances
By Tron4Life
tim28212 wrote:@tron, I don't know if you are still interested in Dances but Elusive disc is having a sale and you can get the ORG 2lp for $35. I finally broke and got it for that price and it's great.

Dances
I noticed that too. And it's tempting, even when I was able to get dutch pressing for relatively cheap price from Ebay a while ago. Dutch pressing sounds good to me. But this is so great record that I wouldn't mind owning two copies.