Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Dollarhyde
inksb wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:08 pm
Dollarhyde wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:48 pm Maybe this illustrates my opinion better.

Recent sales on yahoo Japan of vgm vinyl. It surprises me that new releases and boots sell for way more than many rare og vinyl from the 80's. Again of course I guess personal taste plays a key factor.

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/closedsear ... 0&select=2
A lot of that OG vinyl from 80s is pretty limited, are not complete for some stuff and just isn't super sought after. Donkey Kong Country 2 will always be more popular than almost any NES game that's not called Mario or Zelda. Also those DKC2 sales are crazy, it sells pretty often in the states for $80-$150, not $300 like on yahoo auctions.

Also nostalgia plays a major role in these boots. We want soundtracks to the games we played over and over and over as kids. So when I see stuff like Mario Sunshine or Jet Set Radio, I skip releases like those as they don't really have any nostalgia for me. Super Mario World? Sign me right up. If I had the opportunity to buy something like Illusion of Gaia, FF6 or Chrono Trigger at it's original sale price, I'd buy it.

I hear you @inksb maybe I'm being subconsciously bias, Ive spent silly money on many "old records". It's a shame many of these vgm OSTs can't get an official release (looking at you nintendo), I would probably jump on Mario world or DKC, but don't have the time, and possibly money, to chase these ltd boot releases.
Another thing, listening to a lot of 80's 70's Japanese pop anime OSTs etc.. Nintendo and others certainly booted other musicians melodies at the time.
By inksb
Dollarhyde wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:01 pm Another thing, listening to a lot of 80's 70's Japanese pop anime OSTs etc.. Nintendo and others certainly booted other musicians melodies at the time.
I've definitely noticed this a lot over the last year as I've dived into 70's & 80's anime, ambient & synth based albums. Even my wife picked up on it and she's not that "tuned in" to stuff like that. Inoyamaland's debut record she still thinks is a video game album and not what I tried to describe to her is an ambient record.
There's a lot of times I hear something and it just drives me nuts because I can't figure out what game used the same melody or similar melody.
By inksb
jgibbs4053 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:49 pm
texasvinyl wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:03 am Sim city, some chill tunes on here
So bummed I missed out on this one
I was on the waiting list to join Totokuriba, finally was given a chance to order Sim City and Pilot Wings and I had a vet emergency the day he sent me the email to order them. I told him I couldn't that day but the following Friday I would have the money. He said he understood animals come first but the records would be gone by then. I was then "blacklisted" from the group, no longer answered emails and was never offered a chance to join after that.

Oh well, it seems he dropped the Toto name anyways and releases records with out a label attached. I have Secret of Mana and there has been an ongoing battle with people editing the listing putting Toto as the label and then it being removed over and over again.
By NathanLurker
inksb wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:51 pm
I was on the waiting list to join Totokuriba, finally was given a chance to order Sim City and Pilot Wings and I had a vet emergency the day he sent me the email to order them. I told him I couldn't that day but the following Friday I would have the money. He said he understood animals come first but the records would be gone by then. I was then "blacklisted" from the group, no longer answered emails and was never offered a chance to join after that.

Oh well, it seems he dropped the Toto name anyways and releases records with out a label attached. I have Secret of Mana and there has been an ongoing battle with people editing the listing putting Toto as the label and then it being removed over and over again.
Sounds like a scene I'm glad not to be part of at all :P I don't really like the VGM bootleg community that much, it seems a bit toxic to me. I'm glad to be picking up Data Discs releases and some Mondo vgm releases etc. I'm tempted to get the Alien Storm / Alien Solder releases even though I don't know those games.
By inksb
NathanLurker wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:02 pm
Sounds like a scene I'm glad not to be part of at all :P I don't really like the VGM bootleg community that much, it seems a bit toxic to me. I'm glad to be picking up Data Discs releases and some Mondo vgm releases etc. I'm tempted to get the Alien Storm / Alien Solder releases even though I don't know those games.
It's definitely not pleasant at times. I really was only part of the IG section of and not the big FB section. At this point almost all of them have went private on FB so I'm not longer in the know for most of it. I get to see @tex and @jgibbs posts

As far as those Data Discs, I ordered both blindly as I own all of their main line releases and why should I stop now (lol). I think if you were to order just one I would recommend Alien Soldier, it is a weird and wild Genesis/Mega Drive soundtrack. Alien Storm is good but if I had to choose between the two Soldier is the clear winner.
By texasvinyl
Data disc has never put out a bad vgm soundtrack! And mondo has done some of the best yet. Their Contra 3 alien wars is so badass. I sold my complete data disc set to buy more library records, but I miss them.

Part of the vgm vinyl community donated tens of thousands of $$ for charity recently, like a shocking amount of money. And routinely does so. While the occasional toxic negativity surfaces there has been way less. I think the dude pretending to be a girl and scamming people in trades took the cake of top tier shitlord behavior, and whoever that select start dude is that seems to be super toxic all around.
By inksb
That's good to hear about the donations. The amount of money made off of some of those releases warrants some giving back especially since they are not paying any licensing fees.

That scamming thing is funny, there are scammers all over reddit doing shit like that. And the Select Start guy I was told is bi-polar and has some serious personal issues. He's a mess.

I had to really laugh the other day, I get getting a promoted user popping up every few hours on IG for almost 3 days. The guy has like 4-500 followers and was posting his Chrono Trigger set, paid for promo placement to try and get more followers. So funny.
By NathanLurker
Ah yeah Contra 3 is amazing, LOVE it. I actually bought the playstation release of 'Contra Collection' and have been playing '3' a lot, trying to get through normal mode. it's so tough, at the end. I usually die on last boss fight. When I was young, I could beat normal difficulty setting. Or maybe, back then, I was always playing with a friend, So I feel like it was easier for me but maybe it wasn't, since I play single player now.
By texasvinyl
Wait ink I just read that again. Social media is a weird place.

My favorites are two kind of accounts. One is the photog ones with really forced poses, like that stevekouta guy. "Oh hey just casually having a photo taken as I awkwardly halfway kneel like I'm pulling out this record from the shelf, just so." The other type I love are the naked/mostly naked girls with miscellaneous records accounts. Like "hey, check out this Fleetwood Mac record, which is visible in the background behind this unflattering close up picture of my ass" or "hey here's a record and also feet fetish pics" Sometimes I think it would be funny to make a parody account doing mock sexy poses
By Revolver_OcelScott
inksb wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:01 pm
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:40 pm Square Enix Store put up a bunch of VGM Vinyl. Stuff that's been out of stock for years
https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/ ... usic/vinyl
I saw that, I want the Nier set, FF7, 8 and the Chrono arrangement albums but so expensive.
Exactly, I had gotten the Nier set from Amazon.uk for a really good price a couple years ago. But I just can't do 60+ for 2LP sets.
By inksb
@tex and @jgibbs did either of you manage to get a copy of Act Raiser? That soundtrack is awesome. I just saw some folks post pics on IG about it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDaAPMqJIjb/

Looks like a lot of new boots started arriving over the last week or two. Hook, Claymates/Clayfighter, Super Mario Bros 3 and Diddy Kong Racing.
By texasvinyl
I think those are tests, I have seen pics of dkr and hook. The smb3 turned out very very good, I would recommend getting a copy sooner than later, I could see it being pretty tough to get down the line
By inksb
texasvinyl wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:03 pm I think those are tests, I have seen pics of dkr and hook. The smb3 turned out very very good, I would recommend getting a copy sooner than later, I could see it being pretty tough to get down the line
Yeah the pics I saw of SMB3 look excellent. 2D Ninja does good work. I won't try to pick up a copy of that, I don't ever really have the desire to listen to Mario music outside of 64 and World.
By texasvinyl
A mysterious package arrived today from Val Verde confirming certain rumors of late
Attachments
IMG_20200803_182416~3.jpg
IMG_20200803_182416~3.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 4351 times
By texasvinyl
A spicy meatball appears, it's a sampler since the OST is nearly 3 hours long. For anyone who hasn't played the game I highly recommend playing Mario Odyssey! I have just as much fun playing it as my 8 yr old nephew, it's really great.
Attachments
IMG_20200807_123553~2.jpg
IMG_20200807_123553~2.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 4287 times
By texasvinyl
I cant stop listening to this one, for me it is one of the best / most nostalgic game scores ever because I played the game countless times when my brain was nice and spongy
Attachments
IMG_20200814_194027~2.jpg
IMG_20200814_194027~2.jpg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 4215 times
By inksb
The obi on that looks awesome. That whole package is quite impressive looking. I've seen a lot of folks post it on IG.