Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Re-animated Cat
Ship to Shore speaks the truth.

@texasvinyl - if you mean the Jap comps on GMO Records, those are fully licensed.
By Ignatius
It's not a classic by any means but I would love to see a vinyl release of the Super Hexagon soundtrack. It feels like one of those things that a 7" picture disc would be perfect for.

(Turns out it's impossible to embed the Bandcamp player here so you'll just have to click this link)
By shiptoshore
@texasvinyl

Beaten, but yeah, those GMO comps were totally licensed. GMO was a subsidiary of ALFA, the label started by the guys in Yellow Magic Orchestra. They also own hard.

I believe GZ Media is based out of Czechoslovakia? I could be wrong, though.

What's frustrating to me, on a personal level, about the NES comp is that I asked the guy nicely to remove the MOTHER track that is on there a while back. First he said that it wasn't on there, even though he sent out an email with the track listing. Then he sent an email to his fans saying that it was going to be deleted of the comp.

Lo and behold, Pollyanna is on the comp.

Plus, he's a hack artist...his art kind of reminds me of Mr. Brainwash from Exit to the Gift Shop.

Sorry for the rant, but this guy annoys me to no end haha
By texasvinyl
That sounds like a dick move!

I am surprised the GMO comps were licensed. They are so crappily made (but in an endearing sort of way!) I just assumed they couldn't be legit.

+1 on the Mr Brainwash thing too. How many people have redone the DSOM prism art now?

By texasvinyl
And on this subject, the Mega Man (legit!) release hits Hot Topic on Monday.

LINK

By shiptoshore
@texasvinyl

It's a total dick move! I also find it hard to believe that this guy is actually sending money to the original composers like he says. If he's in contact with the original composers to send them royalties, why not just ask them about the proper channels to release the music?

About the artwork....that's what I'm saying! It's all just so...uninspired. Like, how long did these "artistic decisions" take him, a tenth of a second? It's also worth noting that a legit company would never put up with the kind of art he puts out.

For instance, on MOTHER we didn't have much room to deviate from the original CD packaging (besides adapting it to a gatefold, of course). Not that we really WANTED to deviate from it (it's gorgeous art all around), but still.

I'm loving that Mega Man one. I'm fairly certain that a regular non-pic disc is coming down the line soon, and I'll be sure to pick it up.
By Little Walter
@shiptoshore - Yeah, all those Hot Topic pic discs get wider releases afterward in full packaging (obviously preferred). As far as bootleggers go, I intend to buy any actually licensed releases down the road as well, but having the music to spin is my foremost interest. If you came out with a Castlevania soundtrack tomorrow, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. And if the order had been the other way around, then I wouldn't have even bought the Moonshake release.
By Hatter313
legit castlevania on wax would make my year, since it was almost impossible for me to even figure out a way to get the boot, i gave up. besides i'd prefer not to encourage that nonsense....

as far as the art goes...with all the amazing Castlevania art out there...using the Clash's Elvis homage is just so...not interesting.

same with the Mega Man and Zelda...there's some great art out there for this stuff...why not riff on the style rather than badly reproducing classic album covers
By rpbtz
Did anyone else see this link?

http://segabits.com/blog/2015/05/21/str ... l-release/

A new label is releasing the soundtracks to Shenmue and Streets of Rage! Pre-orders will be up on May 30th, but they won't ship until September.

Also the label confirmed on Facebook that they're releasing the soundtracks to the entire Streets of Rage trilogy. Exciting news indeed!
By rpbtz
@chuck thanks for the link! It sounds very promising and that cover artwork is just gorgeous. Really looking forward to these.
By toosoonjunior
In case you missed it over in the tape thread, this is a fantastic 4-hour mixtape of classic video game music. The tape is now sold out, but you can download the mix for $4.20 on bandcamp. I think some of you will really dig this!

"Welcome to Warp Zone!" by NMESH

https://nmesh.bandcamp.com/album/welcom ... o-game-mix
By Aremagod
I've been a gamer for 35+ years and I think the only game soundtracks I would want to own on vinyl would be Doom / Doom 2. I do think it's great that some labels are popping up and getting some game soundtracks to the people looking for them.
By StrangeVices
Doom is being released on vinyl and being licensed from Bethesda. I don't know who snagged it though.
By Aremagod
@Tiger Lab thanks for the info....I will now have to try and track down more info!
By The Cult Leader
[quote=65296]Here is a sample of some of my older video game vinyls. These are from the G.M.O. Label and are not easy to come by unless you live in Japan I suppose. They are absolutely fantastic, especially the Sega titles. OUTRUN is an absolute classic!

G.M.O. put out a ton of video game music vinyl out in the 80′s. Tracking them down (at a decent price) is the challenging part
[/quote]

Looks like you're missing Sega Vol.2. I'm looking to trade my copy if you're interested in adding it to your collection.

By bansel
@cultleader, you're absolutely right, I am missing that one! Are you interested in trade or sale? You can see most of my collection on discogs, just look for username bansel. I have around 600 pieces in the vinyl soundtrack category if that's your thing, so maybe there is something(s) you might want? Take a look and send me a list of things you would be interested in. Bansel at gmail.

Thanks dude!!
By The Cult Leader
Very impressive collection ;) Email sent...
By Purplemule74
Hey -

OK, I have to give recognition to one of my favorite video game soundtracks ever - Blaster Master.

An 8-Bit masterpiece, the story is about a kid named Jason who follows his pet frog Fred down a hole. Deep in the earth he finds a tank and uses it to battle radioactive mutants in his quest to find his pet frog. Somehow this all makes sense in a Japanese sort of way.

The player controls Jason and the tank Sophia the 3rd through eight levels of gameplay to find the whereabouts of Fred, destroying mutants and their enviable level bosses along the way.

On every level of the game, there is a different musical accompaniment. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal today, but back in 1988 it was kind of a big deal for platform games to have a sounds that varied from level to level.

Listen to the 8-Bit genius of Blaster Master:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYror2hxgE0[/video]
By Purplemule74
Hello -

One of my all time favorite games - Mule for the C64, also has a very memorable musical intro:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6L6MhSgpgo[/video]

...Mule is basically an updated version of Monopoly, but with a much more compelling method of game play. Selecting from a number of different alien characters (I choose the purple mule, get it!?), you act as an alien settlor of the Planet Irata. On the planet, you can harvest different types of goods, including food, energy, smithore, and crystite. Different lands are more desirable than others. You play through a number of rounds trading these materials back and forth with other players, dealing with natural and unnatural disasters (fucking space pirates).

If you are lucky, you can take down a mountain wampus' that occasionally wander across the screen for extra cash.

The player with the most valuable collection of goodies and land at the end of the game wins.