Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Purplemule74
OK, so I went through all seven pages of the soundtrack forum to try and make sure that this idea hasn't already been tackled, and I came up empty.

...So, I'd like to begin a topic forum for video game soundtracks. Some of these have been released on vinyl of late.

For my first post related to this topic, I'd like to post about Grim Fandango!

An updated version of the game has been released by Double Fine Productions, and the updated soundtrack is available for download from ITunes:

Grim Fandango ITunes

...Double Fine released a vinyl soundtrack for Brutal Legend, perhaps they'll do the same for Grim Fandango.
By deafmetal
Good idea for a thread, and the genre is obviously getting more street cred as video games continue to merge with "film" and other video-based media.

I posted an old favorite in the vinyl wish list thread many moons ago:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ghd3tvsNAs[/video]

I know there is a Castlevania boot in the works, but I'm not losing any sleep over it.
By philball1974
Watch dogs is a great record and well worth getting.
By DISCOSUCKS...

LIMBO is a fantastic game from Playdead, a bit of a cult game really.....beautiful design and very simple functionality, but a completely satisfying experience. If the young Tim Burton had teamed up with Lynch to make a game....

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6vRXBOzGzU[/video]

Part of what makes the game so atmospheric and engrossing is the fantastic score by Martin Stig Anderson. I really recommend grabbing the digital version, but gawd I'd LOVE to see someone put out a deluxe 10" of this:

https://limbogame.bandcamp.com/

You can also pickup really cheaply the collector's CDROM of the game, for mac and PC, which comes with art cards, the score on CD and a 3D anaglyph version of the game! Trust me...it's the best £6 you can spend :)

By bansel
agree with @discosucks on LIMBO. Such a visually amazing and melancholic game. I loved everything about this.

If you are not familiar with Jim Guthrie, I highly recommend his soundtrack for the game "Sword & Sworcery". Really cool atmospheric synth/flute electronic. He also did the soundtrack to the documentary "Indie Game" which I also recommend...

https://jimguthrie.bandcamp.com/album/s ... ace-babies

https://jimguthrie.bandcamp.com/album/i ... soundtrack

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCcWWcL_Sg4[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y63fr6wciDY[/video]

By philball1974
That's why I love this forum. Didn't know S&S had a vinyl release but know I have a copy on its way!!

That limbo package looks great too. I loved the game on the ps vita.
By Purplemule74
I haven't dropped the cash on this release yet, but it is available on vinyl:

Super Time Force OST:

It is available at the following link:

SUPER TIME FORCE LINK
By shiptoshore
We're putting out the MOTHER (AKA Earthbound Zero) arranged OST later this year. The D side is a medley of music from the Famicom game and it's looking and sounding excellent thus far.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkfo96fjCNg[/video]

By Little Walter
That's damn good news @shiptoshore - I'm glad that video game scores are getting more attention (it's the nostalgia that gets me). You'll definitely be getting my business on that end (and every other end, it seems).
By shiptoshore
@LIttle Walter - Good to know! We're hoping to be doing more in the future...some indie game OSTs planned, but also some more major titles.

News will be forthcoming!

In the meantime, check out the back cover for the MOTHER release. It's going to look KICKIN' RAD when blown up to 12'' size.

By rpbtz
Fantastic topic - made me create a user here in order to pass on a little of what I know about video game music on vinyl. EDIT: You can click all titles for info and shop links, didn't realize that links are the same color as text.

I'm managing a list on Discogs over all video game soundtracks on vinyl that I can find - if you find any missing feel free to send me a message, then I'll make sure to add them.

As to interesting upcoming video game soundtracks on vinyl I know of a few as well.

Up for preorder:
- Far Cry 4
- Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PS3/PS4/PSVita Version) - final pressing, PC version already sold out
- Journey
- Minecraft, Volume Alpha

Announced/rumored:
- Fallout 3 (also hinted in the Mega Man announcement)
- Mega Man: Best Of 1-10 (browse down to the News and bottom sections of the newsletter)
- The Last Of Us

There's probably more, but those are the ones I can remember from the top of my head :-)

Shame about the Insurgency OST kickstarter. No way it'll receive sufficient funding with such a short time left.

In terms of albums I'd love to see on vinyl, I'm really fond of the soundtrack to Thomas Was Alone and the soundtrack to Child Of Light.
By StrangeVices
I know of some secret people working on retro video game titles, which could lead to something completely unbelievable. I think one of the top answers should really be....

STREETS OF RAGE!!!!!
By bansel
Here is a sample of some of my older video game vinyls. These are from the G.M.O. Label and are not easy to come by unless you live in Japan I suppose. They are absolutely fantastic, especially the Sega titles. OUTRUN is an absolute classic!

G.M.O. put out a ton of video game music vinyl out in the 80's. Tracking them down (at a decent price) is the challenging part ;-)
By Little Walter
That Outrun OST is a hell of a mantelpiece @bansel.

I just got these (unofficial) recently:

By Dollarhyde
@rpbbtz

Where have you heard about a minecraft release? Been listening to vol. Beta on bandcamp recently, some great music.
By Dollarhyde
Hope I can grab a copy of this on vinyl, sounds great.
By rpbtz
@Dollarhyde - sorry, I'm new here so I didn't realize that links have the same color as the text. You can click the Minecraft title in my previous post to be taken to a shop where you can buy it.

I heard about it through that shop's newsletter - and I've bought from them several times before so I have no doubt that it's legit. It's a Dutch store though, so if you're in the US it might be better to wait for it to appear on Ghostly International's own store.
By Dollarhyde
@rpbtz

Just preordered, many thanks And welcome to the forum. :)

Now to check out that mega man link that you posted.
By deafmetal
Fallout 3 vinyl OST would be great to have.
By Purplemule74
Brutal Legend Vinyl link:

Brutal Legend

...Basel, that vinyl is awesome, especially the Outrun...
By shiptoshore
Those unofficial releases are so infuriating to me, especially the NES "Greatest Hits" one. We at Ship to Shore worked so hard to get an official release for the MOTHER soundtrack in the US and Sean Daigle (aka Moonshake Records) just comes along and puts it out with this hacky, uninspired cover.

Don't get me wrong, all his releases have been hacky and uninspired, but it really undermines the work of labels that put stuff out through the proper channels.
By Dollarhyde
I imagine obtaining the rights to classic titles like Zelda or mario brothers must be next to impossible.

Sonic bgm on vinyl would be awesome.

By texasvinyl
This kind of stuff has been going on forever though. There are tons of Japanese game soundtrack comps from the 80s, and I doubt any of them were licensed. Doesn't make it okay, granted. But there is demand and the market will respond. Hopefully the boots generate broader interest in the niche and facilitate more authorized releases going forward.

The Moonshake records do surprise me, it isn't so hard to find out who is putting them out, and he is basically throwing annoying little darts at an IP juggernaut that might decide to end him with a samurai attorney death move.

I noticed the last one says Made in GZ which I think is China