Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By texasvinyl
That's a really solid one for sure

Got this in the mail today, Mario Is Missing, sort of a silly one like a low budget version of super Mario world or something
Attachments
PXL_20230609_005410637.jpg
PXL_20230609_005410637.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 840 times
By texasvinyl
Hyped on the new mario game announcement today. My son wanted me to play an old mario game so I chose super mario world. Now we’re listening to the record
Attachments
IMG_2835.jpeg
IMG_2835.jpeg (409.75 KiB) Viewed 794 times
By Bezulsqy
texasvinyl wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:30 am Hyped on the new mario game announcement today. My son wanted me to play an old mario game so I chose super mario world. Now we’re listening to the record
I believe Super Mario World is the last Mario game I ever played. After the SNES I switched to the Playstation when that first came out and never got a Nintendo anymore. Loved Mario 3 on the NES the most.
By inksb
Every main line Mario game is very good. Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1&2, Super Mario 3D World/Bowser's Fury, Odyssey.
By texasvinyl
Cool little retro vgm comp. Many are sports games. FIFA 95, nba live 95, World Cup USA 94, r type iii, nhl hockey, micro machines, Friday the 13th nes, Zombies AMN, Addams family values, marble madness arcade, super tennis , super soccer, John madden football, Mk genesis, terminator genesis and more.
Attachments
IMG_3454.jpeg
IMG_3454.jpeg (351.98 KiB) Viewed 648 times
By inksb
static14 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:01 pmGoldeneye
I'm not the biggest fan of orchestrated recreations of videogame soundtracks but that Goldeneye one works pretty well.

I lucked out and managed to get a copy of Sonic CD from Data Discs. I missed the restock and emailed them asking if I could be put on a waiting list for any cancelled or damaged copies. They did and a few weeks later I got an invoice for a copy. It was brand new, no defects or issues

PSX_20230902_192031.jpg
PSX_20230902_192031.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 570 times
By inksb
Rudra No Hihou (Treasure of Rudras)

I believe this was the last RPG Square made for the SNES. It's long been on my "to play list" and I really love the score to this. Any one who's a fan of SNES JRPG music should check this one out

PSX_20230929_202540.jpg
PSX_20230929_202540.jpg (732.73 KiB) Viewed 494 times
By deafmetal
60272699-E1E4-448A-AE00-B4B7DD2B7476.jpeg
60272699-E1E4-448A-AE00-B4B7DD2B7476.jpeg (268.06 KiB) Viewed 487 times
8FD70388-10CB-4D17-8D5A-B6F415648995.jpeg
8FD70388-10CB-4D17-8D5A-B6F415648995.jpeg (209.99 KiB) Viewed 487 times
1995. I was downloading move sheets off ISCA BBS and getting kicked out of the arcade for trying to sell them there. Dan Forden was killing it with these tracks back in the early 90’s. I feel like a fool now for not following the on-screen instructions and mail ordering the game soundtracks from him.
By inksb
I love the MK2 & 3 soundtracks. I used to steal pages out of magazines with the move list on it. I couldn't afford it at the time so I just took the pages out and stuff them in my pocket lol
By inksb
Ship to Shore just announced Contra Hard Corps 2LP coming tomorrow at 2PM EST. It's by far my favorite score from the series so I'm very excited to see this one finally get a release, I assumed Mondo was gonna do it years ago. Pre-order, not in hand.

They also announced Contra Shattered Soldier, Contra 4 and Contra Rebirth. I may be interested in 4 but don't remember that score as much. The other two I have no interest in.

Screenshot 2023-10-16 150339.jpg
Screenshot 2023-10-16 150339.jpg (40 KiB) Viewed 422 times
By deafmetal
Hey all, I have been going down a rabbit hole lately with some vintage Roland MIDI modules. Back in the early 90's, I could barely afford a PC sound card. An external synth module was out of the question. I have now been able to build a hardware Roland MT-32 clone and also purchased a used Roland SC-55 for under $150 USD total for both. I know one could emulate these devices in modern software which is great, but the emulation does not sound as good to me as the hardware synths. Anybody else into Roland modules either via emulation or direct hardware?

I grew up playing games on NES or DOS on a Tandy PC with 3-voice sound. A lot of those classic game BGM tracks are ingrained into my memory from the original sound chips. Around 91-92, I built my own PC with an AdLib\Sound Blaster clone with a Yamaha OPL3 chip which had FM synthesis. What I am really enjoying right now is going back to some of these old games and hearing the BGM with a MIDI synth like the Roland MT-32. I have always enjoyed this music even from a 3-voice DAC or FM chip, but it is like rediscovering an old friend hearing these compositions with Roland LA or wavetable synthesis.

I have been going deep into one my favorites lately... Akumajō Dracula/Castlevania. This series along with Gradius has always had excellent BGM composers at Konami. I don't really play games much anymore and just listen to the old chiptunes I enjoy. It's one thing to listen to a NES rip on vinyl, and those old square wave BGM's are the OG classics, but the MIDI compositions by the Konami composers for the "remastered" release for Sharp X68000 computer version is such a delight. I have not attempted to emulate a X68k computer yet, but I have the MIDI files for Akumajō Dracula for both the MT-32 and SC-55 synths from the game and they kick ass. I have heard many different versions of Vampire Killer from the original Castlevania through the years, as well as Bloody Tears from C2: Simon's Quest. The versions composed for the 1993 X68000 game are on another level. I am impressed how game developers in Japan seemed to really prioritize quality BGM for systems like the X68000 even back in the early 1990's. The game featured a MIDI module selection mode if you did not want to use the X68000's FM music chip, and they also composed alternative BGM versions for both the Roland LA (MT-32/CM-32L/CM-64) and wavetable synths (SC-55/SC-88). They both have their unique sound and instrumentation. Here is a video comparing "Bloody Tears" on the X68000 system between the native FM chip and a Roland MT-32 and SC-55 MIDI module:

By inksb
That's awesome, I would love to mess around with some of that old hardware in person. I haven't delved into soft synths too much with this but I know a lot of it exists out there. I have a Digitone which is an FM beast I definitely can get some Genesis sounds out of it and I talked myself out of buying the MEGAfm from Twisted Electrons last year bc it would just been an excessive purchase that I didn't really need.

It's very cool to hear original midi files through the hardware they were played on before going through the consoles sound chips. Have you checked out any of Jammin' Sam Miller's recreations? He recreates SNES soundtracks with original hardware and/or soft synth versions of original hardware. His Secret of Mana and Link to the Past recreations are really great. He has playlists of all the games he's done on youtube, which includes DKC1-3, Super Metroid, Secret of Mana, Link to the Past and he's recently been commissioned to recreate Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire which I believe is the first time he's done something outside of the SNES.
By deafmetal
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:33 am On that note, anyone know if Forced Exposure is legit? They are carrying it as well but don't wanna give them all my information if it's a BS site. If so, hopefully their shipping is cheaper. I want it, but don't wanna pay 20euro shipping.
FE is legit. They have been around a long time and stock a mixed bag of interesting titles. I have been buying records from them for many years without issues.
By reddye6
deafmetal wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:27 pm
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:33 am On that note, anyone know if Forced Exposure is legit? They are carrying it as well but don't wanna give them all my information if it's a BS site. If so, hopefully their shipping is cheaper. I want it, but don't wanna pay 20euro shipping.
FE is legit. They have been around a long time and stock a mixed bag of interesting titles. I have been buying records from them for many years without issues.
I'll also vouch for Forced Exposure. Been buying from them for a couple decades.
By reddye6
You can even see some videos of Forced Exposure's warehouse!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt67HO2xHCI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhhV_6-2M3s&t=83s

They're about 30-40 minutes away from where I live; I have a dream that when I retire I get a part-time job there shipping music and hopefully getting an employee discount.
By deafmetal
inksb wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:20 pm That's awesome, I would love to mess around with some of that old hardware in person. I haven't delved into soft synths too much with this but I know a lot of it exists out there. I have a Digitone which is an FM beast I definitely can get some Genesis sounds out of it and I talked myself out of buying the MEGAfm from Twisted Electrons last year bc it would just been an excessive purchase that I didn't really need.

It's very cool to hear original midi files through the hardware they were played on before going through the consoles sound chips. Have you checked out any of Jammin' Sam Miller's recreations? He recreates SNES soundtracks with original hardware and/or soft synth versions of original hardware. His Secret of Mana and Link to the Past recreations are really great. He has playlists of all the games he's done on youtube, which includes DKC1-3, Super Metroid, Secret of Mana, Link to the Past and he's recently been commissioned to recreate Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire which I believe is the first time he's done something outside of the SNES.
@inks - I just listened to Jammin' Sam's Super Metroid this morning which is quite good. I saw that WRWTFWW posted the black vinyl pressing today. I was not deep into SNES like many others were, but I enjoy seeing all these various passion projects. I did play many hours of SFII though...

I am still banging around on old DOS games with MT-32 BGM. Here is the intro from Silpheed (1988) on my rig:

I have also found an old mail-order flier that was included in a game box. These sound modules were unobtainable for me back then. $550 in 1988 is ~$1,431 USD today using usinflationcalculator.com
met32a.jpg
met32a.jpg (252.56 KiB) Viewed 307 times
mt32b.jpg
mt32b.jpg (302.88 KiB) Viewed 307 times
mt32d.jpg
mt32d.jpg (223.64 KiB) Viewed 307 times