Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By milliondollars
here's what i was playing (with) since yesterday. fantastic stuff from Mr. Nilovic. these records are library standards. was able to mint up on the Soul one. some of the best impressions i ever had...

funnily Psyc Impressions picture cover is not listed in the discogs database yet. will add that one.
20200721_080220_resized.jpg
20200721_080220_resized.jpg (1 MiB) Viewed 3839 times
By ScoJo
milliondollars wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:54 am here's what i was playing (with) since yesterday. fantastic stuff from Mr. Nilovic. these records are library standards. was able to mint up on the Soul one. some of the best impressions i ever had...

funnily Psyc Impressions picture cover is not listed in the discogs database yet. will add that one.

20200721_080220_resized.jpg
Yes.... yes......yes......and.............YES!

By inksb
texasvinyl wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:03 pm Hot damn this is a great record. I've had the OG my want list for a very long time and haven't seen so much as a whisper of a copy, but I'd never heard the whole thing. I can't believe they withdrew this for the catalog # misprint and never repressed, it boggles the mind.
This record has barely left the table for the last two weeks. It's so damn good.

I just listened to that Soul Impressions album and now I need that in my collection.

Just over a year ago I had zero library records in my collection and while I now only have a handful (especially compared to most of you) it's been amazing picking up this stuff and I'm grateful so much has been reissued so I can own copies. Here's my small but quite fantastic Alessandroni collection

By Bezulsqy
inksb wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:44 pm
texasvinyl wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:03 pm Hot damn this is a great record. I've had the OG my want list for a very long time and haven't seen so much as a whisper of a copy, but I'd never heard the whole thing. I can't believe they withdrew this for the catalog # misprint and never repressed, it boggles the mind.
This record has barely left the table for the last two weeks. It's so damn good.

I just listened to that Soul Impressions album and now I need that in my collection.

Just over a year ago I had zero library records in my collection and while I now only have a handful (especially compared to most of you) it's been amazing picking up this stuff and I'm grateful so much has been reissued so I can own copies. Here's my small but quite fantastic Alessandroni collection

Very nice @Inksb! I try to stay away from library records as much as possible but those AA ones are hard to resist!
By havershaw
Yeah @inks! Those are some amazing AA records!

I tried to stay away from the library stuff and I failed.

@million i think those 4 Nilovic records are the ones that really made the virus take hold, for me.

I guess I have the “Unusual Sounds” comp to thank for that. I think that’s where I first heard Xenos Cosmos and I was like “ok, I have to find out where this came from”
By texasvinyl
Nice pic ink! I recommend Inchiesta as well, but it's been a good long while since they pressed the reissue so might be tougher to find. But those are the best ones! The UST 370 I like a lot as well.

Here's another Japanese catalog sticker. I want the others! I bet it was a great collection.
Attachments
IMG_20200721_101054~2.jpg
IMG_20200721_101054~2.jpg (376.98 KiB) Viewed 3807 times
By inksb
texasvinyl wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:14 pm Nice pic ink! I recommend Inchiesta as well, but it's been a good long while since they pressed the reissue so might be tougher to find. But those are the best ones! The UST 370 I like a lot as well.

Here's another Japanese catalog sticker. I want the others! I bet it was a great collection.
Inchiesta was the first Alessandroni album I ever listened to, unfortunately the repress is hard to come by at a decent price which I think is 7 or 8 years old at this point. Most prices I see are over $50 plus shipping from EU. I'll get it eventually but I'm kind of holding out hoping for a repress from Sonor.

I am very curious about these catalog stickers, I want to know the story behind them. I would be fascinated if I received multiple records with the same stickers on them from various sellers.
By texasvinyl
I dunno, maybe someone else has come across LPs from this collection! I wonder what else he had. I forget where the octo came from maybe France? That one might have been from ebay.

I also have three different Roman RRC problems of man series albums with the same style and placement of price sticker on the jackets and similar wear patterns, obviously all from the same collection but acquired at different times from different sellers.

I guess there just aren't a ton of them out there. That India LP I have is the same copy someone else used to make the discogs listing, and I remember the I Marc 4 record I got years ago was the same copy @million bought and returned because it had a rubbed corner.

Did you guys see the Accade A list and then disappear. €2500
By milliondollars
texasvinyl wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:59 pm I dunno, maybe someone else has come across LPs from this collection! I wonder what else he had. I forget where the octo came from maybe France? That one might have been from ebay.

I also have three different Roman RRC problems of man series albums with the same style and placement of price sticker on the jackets and similar wear patterns, obviously all from the same collection but acquired at different times from different sellers.

I guess there just aren't a ton of them out there. That India LP I have is the same copy someone else used to make the discogs listing, and I remember the I Marc 4 record I got years ago was the same copy @million bought and returned because it had a rubbed corner.

Did you guys see the Accade A list and then disappear. €2500
it is a collection form a japanese archive. as simple as it sounds. there was this big japanese vinyl shop called FACERECORDS that was selling a lot of library on ebay recently and (almost) all of them had these stickers. here's your record @texas:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/M-fusciati-urba ... 7675.l2557

what record i did return for a rubbed corner by the way? :)

i have recognized the Accade A record on discogs. wonder for how much it sold...
By inksb
Face Records has a shop in NYC. Their prices are so high. I follow them to see what OG city pop and Hosono/Sakamoto/YMO etc releases they get in. They always look really nice but usually priced quite a bit higher than ordering from Japan so if you ever want more than one record it's more cost effective to just order straight from Japan.
By texasvinyl
Nice! That is a good price for Climax. The record you said you returned was the I Marc with the buttons on the cover
By havershaw
I think I bought the Fantasmagories MP2000 LP from Face in Japan recently. I’ll have to see if it has that sticker too.
By milliondollars
what are the Nilovc MP2000 must haves @havershaw? i have the feeling that i miss some stuff...how About Un Couple Dans La Ville, Concerto Pour Un Feu or Un Homme Dans L'Univers? or how About Chorus or Vocal Impressions?
By milliondollars
another essential Alessandroni/De Filippi spin this morning. always a pleasure to hear it. heartbreaking melancholia grooves in the highest order. i would say these two composers were at their musical peak in 1974. also the artwork is a standalone masterwork. for me, the ultimate summer breeze record that needs to be reissued…

https://www.discogs.com/de/R-De-Filippi ... e/12817547
20200723_093328_resized.jpg
20200723_093328_resized.jpg (803.74 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
By havershaw
milliondollars wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:18 am what are the Nilovc MP2000 must haves @havershaw? i have the feeling that i miss some stuff...how About Un Couple Dans La Ville, Concerto Pour Un Feu or Un Homme Dans L'Univers? or how About Chorus or Vocal Impressions?
Concerto Pour Un Fou is really good, although I have this version, which has an extra song on it that’s great:
https://www.discogs.com/Janko-Nilovic-E ... se/3526127

(I actually just realized it’s not just an extra song - B6 is different on these two releases, and the “bonus” song on my version is actually on Un Couple, so I guess I need both?)

Vocal Impressions, Chorus, and Un Homme Dans L'Univers are both pretty amazing too. Don’t forget Funky Tramway!

Un Couple Dans La Ville is also great - probably the most “easy listening” of his records.

Jazz Impressions 1 and 2 are (as expected) super jazzy and great, if not a little repetitive (between the two discs). I think the 2nd one basically has a medley of the first one as side 2 if I recall correctly?

It’s probably easier to list the ones that I think are only so-so?
The children’s record has a handful of great tunes on it but the rest of it is pretty goofy.
There’s a classical guitar record that’s good but I’m not sure I’d call it essential at all.
Classical Phases is also good but not essential IMO.
The percussion one is cool but it’s a lot looser in terms of “song structure”. Cool, but not essential for me.
There’s a piano bar record that I have but it is exceptionally not essential for me because I’m not that into “piano bar,” haha.

Water Show by Andy Loore is also great and is actually Janko.
Last edited by havershaw on Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By texasvinyl
Concerto por fou is a great record, definitely get that one. I have been digging this MP album called Ben the Big One too.

Today I got to complete the main Puccio set with Balance, which for some reason was the hardest one to find of the four. The B side is just straight fire, "Barbecue" opens things the right way and then "Scratch" just burns the whole place to the ground without ever getting its pulse above 80. "Life-O" lulls you into a sleepy trance until there's a suspenseful pause 1/3 in, then some funky right hand guitar work comes in...then the drums....then the bass hits and some real Fonky shit goes down with keys that cause an acute case of funk face. Rescue starts funky but really hits the stratosphere when the sax solo hits and finds a groove, plus there are just the right amount of characteristic "puccio strings" in the arrangement. The side closes with "Pressure" a track that would not be out of place on a Spitfire Debs record, so much so that I can't help but wonder whether Roelens was involved with those or the session guys were the same, or it was the same studio or all of the above. Pressure also has a nice long drum solo with a lot of double bass pedal action, right before the track inexplicably closes with about 30 seconds jaunty classical music.
Attachments
IMG_20200723_140711~3.jpg
IMG_20200723_140711~3.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 3678 times
By havershaw
@texas I love Ben the Big One too.

Forgot to mention, Rhythmes Contemporains is one of my very favorites but I assumed you were already familiar.

Speaking of Puccio Roelens and essentials, @texas, I need to seek out Research of Sound, right?
By texasvinyl
Research of sound is really good! Had to take family photo. I am not sure the other LPs are worth tracking down.
Attachments
IMG_20200723_161050~3.jpg
IMG_20200723_161050~3.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 3667 times
By ChrisMcQueen007
That‘s a pretty view @Texas!

Oh, and I guess with „the other LPs“ that you are not sure if they are worth tracking down you mean the other Roelens albums not on the photo, right?
By texasvinyl
Thanks Chris. Roelens did at least three or four records on Vedette and various singles plus some live stuff and I think he was a busy session guy like orchestration and arranging work. I have been curious about the other stuff, a couple have tracks online but many don't.

Also, unrelated but here is a video of Stefano torossi singing No Woman No Cry that was posted by Gucci a few years ago

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZHWMgHFuLx/
By milliondollars
@texas: according to Brugnolini and Torossi, Roelens was the main conductor behind the $5000 lady, which makes your family a little incomplete, missing one of the most important family members. but still, nice set!

some background info on Puccio Roelens over here...
By milliondollars
havershaw wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:59 pm
milliondollars wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:18 am what are the Nilovc MP2000 must haves @havershaw? i have the feeling that i miss some stuff...how About Un Couple Dans La Ville, Concerto Pour Un Feu or Un Homme Dans L'Univers? or how About Chorus or Vocal Impressions?
Concerto Pour Un Fou is really good, although I have this version, which has an extra song on it that’s great:
https://www.discogs.com/Janko-Nilovic-E ... se/3526127

(I actually just realized it’s not just an extra song - B6 is different on these two releases, and the “bonus” song on my version is actually on Un Couple, so I guess I need both?)

Vocal Impressions, Chorus, and Un Homme Dans L'Univers are both pretty amazing too. Don’t forget Funky Tramway!

Un Couple Dans La Ville is also great - probably the most “easy listening” of his records.

Jazz Impressions 1 and 2 are (as expected) super jazzy and great, if not a little repetitive (between the two discs). I think the 2nd one basically has a medley of the first one as side 2 if I recall correctly?

It’s probably easier to list the ones that I think are only so-so?
The children’s record has a handful of great tunes on it but the rest of it is pretty goofy.
There’s a classical guitar record that’s good but I’m not sure I’d call it essential at all.
Classical Phases is also good but not essential IMO.
The percussion one is cool but it’s a lot looser in terms of “song structure”. Cool, but not essential for me.
There’s a piano bar record that I have but it is exceptionally not essential for me because I’m not that into “piano bar,” haha.

Water Show by Andy Loore is also great and is actually Janko.
thanks so much @havershaw! Un Couple Dans La Ville is attracting me the most and I will pull the trigger if i see a reasonably priced copy, for sure!

never heard these Jazz Impressions but i will one day :)

i have Funky Tramway which is great but thanks for reminding me!