Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By texasvinyl
milliondollars wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:54 pm @texas: according to Brugnolini and Torossi, Roelens was the main conductor behind the $5000 lady, which makes your family a little incomplete, missing one of the most important family members. but still, nice set!

some background info on Puccio Roelens over here...
yeah it sounds like puccio was the big room guy they brought in to manage the large orchestra on feelings but he was just 1/4 of the album so I didn't put it in the family photo. I think they all composed some tracks on it. I will keep the Tensioni copy and leave the carosello to others! Maybe I'll get a copy of the top tape some day.
By havershaw
FYI, I emailed Lorenzo and he said that Augusto Martelli reissue that Sonor is talking about today will be available to preorder from Rappcats in early September.

Because it has a bunch of Women’s Colors folks on it (my current obsession), I asked if they would ever do a reissue of it, and he said he thinks Four Flies might be doing one!
By inksb
havershaw wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:42 pm FYI, I emailed Lorenzo and he said that Augusto Martelli reissue that Sonor is talking about today will be available to preorder from Rappcats in early September.

Because it has a bunch of Women’s Colors folks on it (my current obsession), I asked if they would ever do a reissue of it, and he said he thinks Four Flies might be doing one!
Thanks for the info. Guess I'll probably have to order this one too.
By havershaw
inksb wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:13 am Thanks for the info. Guess I'll probably have to order this one too.
I listened to about half of it on Spotify (I like to not preview a record too much ahead of time) and I thought it was great.
By texasvinyl
Forgot how good this one is, haven't spun it in years
Attachments
IMG_20200727_092838~2.jpg
IMG_20200727_092838~2.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 3243 times
By sostark
texasvinyl wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:29 pm Forgot how good this one is, haven't spun it in years
I finally pulled the trigger and added this to my collection over quarantine. Love this album and am happy to have an original :) I hope if they get around to reissuing (as they were on quite a roll for a while there with Umiliani) they keep this fantastic cover art. BTW did you happen to just sell me the Makaya McCraven on the scogs? If so many thanks! ;)
By texasvinyl
Yeah I had messaged you here to try to save us a few dollars to the fee and tax gods!! I dropped it off at the post office on Saturday. Thanks for helping me buy more stupid Italian records haha
By sostark
I need to check here more often! It just showed up and will be spinning soon! This went on first though:
After close to two months on I'm assuming a very slow boat from Italia to Detroit, she's here and she's lovely.
By texasvinyl
Playing through some more Umiliani stuff. These classical guitar duets are pleasant. The melodies in "Variazioni Italiane" and "Amica Chitarra" are nice.

I also listened to Fascismo E Dintorni which isn't my favorite though there are a few interesting tracks, one with a touch of jazz and two with I Cantori vocal
Attachments
IMG_20200727_113017~2.jpg
IMG_20200727_113017~2.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 3226 times
By texasvinyl
Great one, very chill and jazzy at times leaning towards ambient and with some tasteful synth additions. I am enjoying this a lot.
Attachments
IMG_20200727_123249~2.jpg
IMG_20200727_123249~2.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 3217 times
By texasvinyl
It's here! I was thrilled someone finally sold a copy. I've wanted one for a long time because of the tracks in Oceans 12, and then Four Flies did the reissue and I figured I'd probably never see it.

Side A has four tracks from a documentary called Wages of Sin about prostitutes. Featuring the gorgeous track "Shopping" that to me sounds like it could be an Alessandroni composition.

The rest is the Dorian Gray OST which gets to work right away with "Il Battello," a nice scat bossa, "Amore In Piccadilly" a romance orchestral and then Ouverture Scozzese which is a baroque classical track with some weird swagger to it.

Side B opens with "Portrait" a short cue jarringly starts with a horror note that sweetens. And then the infamous "Rito A Los Angeles" from the egg scene that crescendos into an insane frenzy just to immediately transition to "Margaret" a sublime and delicate I Cantori vocal with spectral strings, a very deliberate but sparse harp line and a really wicked soup of beauty and tension, like a midnight visit from the ghost of a lost love. Things go astray with "Giallos a Londra" -- the ethereal gains an unsettling sizzling squeal, yet as the track continues a light emerges, and the unsettling aspects begin to fade away, leading to the title track "Dorian Gray" with haunting breathy vocals - perhaps Giulia Alessandroni - before it opens up big with a very Piccioni/Alessandroni style of beautiful arrangement. "La Fine Di Dorian" amps up the sense of peril with ominous sparse interspersed with threatening vocal spikes, and then echoes of the drums and bassline from Rito pull it all together. The record ends with a track that similarly follows in a dark to light theme, with heavy tension elements ultimately giving way to resolution.

Attachments
IMG_20200727_131003~2.jpg
IMG_20200727_131003~2.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 3210 times
By havershaw
close to three months, but they’re here and they’re glorious!
(also got some more KPM today)
0F2AF401-6F4C-4108-BBDD-2109A9D66DEF.jpeg
0F2AF401-6F4C-4108-BBDD-2109A9D66DEF.jpeg (616.98 KiB) Viewed 3185 times
By milliondollars
^great @havershaw! glad you caught these classic albums!
those KPM's looking good, too. i think the Solid Gold is a gap i need to fill. never seen this Big Beat sleeve but even if it does not seem so, there are quite some KPM variations available.
By ChrisMcQueen007
Nice one @Texas! Seems to have arrived rather quickly given current cirumstances?
Currently on the Road, think I‘m familiar with some of the tracks but will give tracks on YT a listen later.

Edit: Just saw that someone has put the whole album on YT.
By texasvinyl
Yes this one wasn't too bad, maybe they are catching up. My other box yesterday was from Greece and that one took about 6 weeks. I think the seller said he used Chronopost for this one which came from France.

This score is ripe for an expanded 2LP reissue with artwork to add the shakes and stuff that didn't make the LP
By inksb
I'm pretty excited I signed up for a notification on Dusty Groove for Feelings if it ever got restocked. That happened today and I immediately ordered it. I honestly just assumed I'd be stuck with ebay or discogs prices and having to import it
By havershaw
@texas damn, nice score!

@million That Big Beat KPM is a reissue from a few years ago.
There’s too much great KPM that’s expensive for me to catch up on - I gotta grab reissues of as much as I can. They sound pretty good, to my ear!

@inks awesome! I gotta sign up for some of those alerts. I’ve done it in the past and they’ve been pretty reliable, but I need to go through and see what else they’ve got that I could still use if they restock.
By sostark
Pardon my ignorance but are soundtracks considered library? I’ve been loving exploring Morricone’s soundtracks after favoring other Italian library composers and artists for years. It still doesn’t necessarily explain why I have my Umiliani in my alphabetized collection and I keep the rest of my library and weird stuff higher up (mostly because my wife is less interested and shorter, but also I have a lot more Umiliani than anyone else and there’s space on that shelf).

Also—how do you organize your library vinyl and non library vinyl?
By ScoJo
sostark wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:33 pm Pardon my ignorance but are soundtracks considered library? I’ve been loving exploring Morricone’s soundtracks after favoring other Italian library composers and artists for years. It still doesn’t necessarily explain why I have my Umiliani in my alphabetized collection and I keep the rest of my library and weird stuff higher up (mostly because my wife is less interested and shorter, but also I have a lot more Umiliani than anyone else and there’s space on that shelf).

Well they can of course be both, right? And in theory, since the whole point of most library music is that it is licensed for use in TV and film, somewhere down the line Library LPs cross over into soundtrack by their nature. That doesn't mean all library stuff has been used in film though I guess, so those remain pure 'library'.... ?

I personally don't have a ton of library, so it's located together with experimental/early electronic/weird/concept albums separate from my osts - the only exception I can think of is my DeWolfe 'Strange Location' LP which contains the cues used in both Witchfinder General and Curse of the Crimson Altar - I made my own gatefold soundtrack sleeve for that one and it sits proudly with the other OSTs!

Fwiw, I do like 'Library/Weird' as a working category for filing.

Btw, you don't want to hear how I file all my LPs, ask anybody round here ;-)

On topic anyway, here's a link to a youtube channel which has clips from films and TV where library cues have been used - it's pretty great, really wish someone was doing this as a full time job and making a more extensive library of clips along these lines!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEg1Ru ... 3eg/videos

Last edited by ScoJo on Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Bezulsqy
sostark wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:33 pm Pardon my ignorance but are soundtracks considered library? I’ve been loving exploring Morricone’s soundtracks after favoring other Italian library composers and artists for years. It still doesn’t necessarily explain why I have my Umiliani in my alphabetized collection and I keep the rest of my library and weird stuff higher up (mostly because my wife is less interested and shorter, but also I have a lot more Umiliani than anyone else and there’s space on that shelf).

As long as it has the name of the movie on the cover I say it is a soundtrack. I only have a few library records. One I know is used in a movie and I classify that under soundtrack. If I don't know in what movie or series it is used I classify it under library.

The Africa Nera Africa Rosso album you played I classify under soundtrack as it states it is a soundtrack of a TV series.