Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By havershaw
Are there any good brick and mortar stores for library stuff in Austin, TX?

I’m going to be there for a few days in March for SXSW. I haven’t booked my stuff yet, but if I know there are some good shops worth checking out, then I’ll book another whole day.
By texasvinyl
End of an ear but I wouldn't expect to find library originals at any record store in Texas. Josey in Dallas has some dregs they're holding on to otherwise virtually never see anything other than mystery probably crappy major records LPs.
By texasvinyl
But I got some early sonor stuff from them back in like 2012, and that's where I found the piccioni reissue. But no OG stuff. The new location unfortunately doesnt have the charm of the old one off Oltorf.
By havershaw
Anyone have any opinions on this?

https://www.discogs.com/Paul-Lewis-Dram ... se/3007174

Worth that price?
I’m interested in this series, and I can combine shipping with something else I bought from this seller that hasn’t been shipped yet.
But I can’t seem to find any real samples from this particular record. Wondering if it’s great enough to spend the cash or if I should just wait for a cheaper one (or skip this one altogether?).
By Bub
havershaw wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:52 am Anyone have any opinions on this?

https://www.discogs.com/Paul-Lewis-Dram ... se/3007174

Worth that price?
I’m interested in this series, and I can combine shipping with something else I bought from this seller that hasn’t been shipped yet.
But I can’t seem to find any real samples from this particular record. Wondering if it’s great enough to spend the cash or if I should just wait for a cheaper one (or skip this one altogether?).
Looks like you can "preview" it here

http://thespiritualsuite.blogspot.com/2 ... orror.html
By milliondollars
i like the Studio G horror series, all four volumes do have their special moments plus these covers are fun. on the other hand, the music itself is not groundbreaking so if i were you, i would rather wait as they can go for much less than this discogs price.
By havershaw
thanks, @million.

I did like what I heard, but yeah, maybe not at that price. I’ll just keep my eyes open and see what turns up.
By ScoJo
milliondollars wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:37 am i like the Studio G horror series, all four volumes do have their special moments plus these covers are fun. on the other hand, the music itself is not groundbreaking so if i were you, i would rather wait as they can go for much less than this discogs price.
I have this pretty killer Trunk compilation of Studio G horror, imagine it's a great sampler of the best the series had to offer knowing Jonny's usually excellent curation - no Paul Lewis though:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-G-Spots/release/1650988

52711328-91C7-46F1-A366-1E0AC4228B5C-255-0000001F979DA996.jpg
52711328-91C7-46F1-A366-1E0AC4228B5C-255-0000001F979DA996.jpg (69.42 KiB) Viewed 3024 times
By havershaw
It’s been on my want list forever. I don’t know why I haven’t gotten it already.

international shipping is killing me lately!
By milliondollars
i could not help myself but play Patchwork 5 yesterday. it is such a great album! love the concept and these underwater cues are some of the finest you will hear on library records. my favourite track is Danse Des Électrons (Dance Of The Electrons) which sounds like an outtake from the Strange World Of Bernard Fevre. how you like that one @Dollarhyde?

https://www.discogs.com/Roger-Davy-Patc ... se/1218155
20200210_063551_resized.jpg
20200210_063551_resized.jpg (690.64 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
By Dollarhyde
milliondollars wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:54 am i could not help myself but play Patchwork 5 yesterday. it is such a great album! love the concept and these underwater cues are some of the finest you will hear on library records. my favourite track is Danse Des Électrons (Dance Of The Electrons) which sounds like an outtake from the Strange World Of Bernard Fevre. how you like that one @Dollarhyde?

https://www.discogs.com/Roger-Davy-Patc ... se/1218155

20200210_063551_resized.jpg
Yes I think I know the one you mean. That whole A side is brilliant, a great mixture of electronics and classical instruments.

I would say though side A is much the stronger side. If you are after oriental sounds there are certainly much better libraries.
By milliondollars
by the way, have started a topic for library music in movies on the LTM forum, which some of you guys might contribute to if you want. i think @Bezulsqy might be able to contribute to this thread with his vast giallo knowledge...

also i want to mention that @Steve Powder was the person, who has identified the Viostel record as the score for the movie Lickerish Quartet. a buddy of mine, who sold this record on discogs for 700€ to a muppet, has mentioned this knowledge in the sales comments.
By havershaw
Ok, I need some opinions.

I don’t have a ton of MP2000 reissues - mostly, I have original ones, but I do have reissues of a few Janko titles.
Does anyone have any thoughts of the quality of the represses vs the originals?

I love the pressing and mastering on all of the originals. The new ones seem to sound fine, but it’s got me wondering how much better the originals *might* be? I think the RIs I have are:

- Rhythms Contemporains
- Pop Impressions
- Soul Impressions
- Chorus
- Funky Tramway
- Super America (I actually could swear I bought an original of this but I guess not)
- Pop-In Devil’s Train
- Psyc Impressions
- Un Couple Dans La Ville
- Un Homme Dans L'Univers

These are all kinda pricey to get originals of, so if you all think the reissues are as good, I guess I can just stick with them...basically my OCD/completist tendencies are trying to convince me I need originals, but my bank account definitely disagrees.

If anyone has direct knowledge of those reissues vs the OGs, I’d love to hear your thoughts.
By milliondollars
ok, you have reached the point, where your (library infected) brain said goodbye to your down-to-earth attitude once and for all, haha!

i do not have any of these reissues so i can't judge. to be honest i was not even aware that all this stuff was reissued. also i miss two of these OG's (Chorus and Un Couple Dans La Ville)

the question should be what you expect from the OG's, besides satisfying your collector needs. not judging on your set-up but from experience i can tell that the most collector dudes that i know, do not even have the right equipment to hear any difference between a OG and a 2nd class reissue. if you are particularly unhappy with a single reissue, i would try to start from there...
By havershaw
milliondollars wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:10 pm ok, you have reached the point, where your (library infected) brain said goodbye to your down-to-earth attitude once and for all, haha!
I knew this day was coming. I was too scared to even go into this thread when I first joined the forum, and now look at me.

It’s hard because these are some of the absolute jewels of the MP2000 so on the one hand it’s like if you’re gonna have *any* OGs, it should be these, right?

On the other, I could spend that money on Patchwork or April Orchestra records that *aren’t* reissued and I have no other means of listening.

I don’t think there are any of these reissues that I think don’t sound good. They all seem fine.
The question is, would originals be even *better*?
I’ll probably find one that’s not prohibitively expensive to compare and find out.