Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By havershaw
Holy Basil also did those Modern Sound Quartet reissues.

Thanks for the heads-up on both! I had checked Dusty Groove for the Musiche Per Telefilm reissue when it was posted but they didn’t have it up then.

In the time it took me to check out the Blue Sharks record and go back to Dusty Groove, they sold out of that Flirt reissue, dammit.
But they do have a bunch of those new Umiliani reissues that just came out (and the Blue Sharks record).

Still a few US sellers selling that Flirt reissue on discogs, though.
By inksb
havershaw wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:03 pm Holy Basil also did those Modern Sound Quartet reissues.

Thanks for the heads-up on both! I had checked Dusty Groove for the Musiche Per Telefilm reissue when it was posted but they didn’t have it up then.

In the time it took me to check out the Blue Sharks record and go back to Dusty Groove, they sold out of that Flirt reissue, dammit.
But they do have a bunch of those new Umiliani reissues that just came out (and the Blue Sharks record).

Still a few US sellers selling that Flirt reissue on discogs, though.
Blue Sharks sold out lol. I noticed this morning they had a bunch of those Umiliani records back in stock, plus Feed-Back and Braens Machine Underground. Wish I had money right now lol.

As some one who doesn't really have any Umiliani records in his collection, what would you guys recommend as "essential" purchases?
By inksb
texasvinyl wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:12 pm To-day's Sound and Il Corpo
Thanks @tex, those have long been on my "to buy" list. I actually think I put them both on a list I gave my wife for xmas ideas lol.
By deafmetal
texasvinyl wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:12 pm To-day's Sound and Il Corpo
Good ones, I also love La ragazza fuoristrada.

This is hitting the ears so very nicely today. Glad I finally landed a copy:

By Dollarhyde
So many great Italian libraries getting reissued. I'm very tempted by some of these but I'm always wary of sound quality. For example the Braens machine underground on schema, was a little disappointing imo.
I see the modern sound quartet on holy basil are licensed through four flies, which is promising.

Couple of Umiliani recommends @inks

Tra scienza e fantascienza & News! news!news!
By milliondollars
inksb wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:15 am Forced Exposure randomly had stock of this. Glad to find a copy at retail. Such a great album

great record! does this really have a "Made In Germany" sticker on the cover? :)
By inksb
milliondollars wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:56 pm
inksb wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:15 am Forced Exposure randomly had stock of this. Glad to find a copy at retail. Such a great album
great record! does this really have a "Made In Germany" sticker on the cover? :)
It sure does have a Made In Germany sticker slapped right on the front and has a big ol' UPC sticker with SME 010LP on the back
By milliondollars
inksb wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:07 pm As some one who doesn't really have any Umiliani records in his collection, what would you guys recommend as "essential" purchases?
such a great artist! luckily almost all of his "essentials" were reissued over the past few years. you really have a hard time finding a really bad record by him. there are two very good compy on Four Flies. then i really love his scores, especially La Morte Bussa Due Volte which i consider one of his best. also i like the darker stuff like Mondo Inquieto, Suspense (both under the M.Zalla pseudonym) and his tribal/ethnic stuff like Continente Nero and Africa.
By milliondollars
inksb wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:06 pm
milliondollars wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:56 pm
It sure does have a Made In Germany sticker slapped right on the front and has a big ol' UPC sticker with SME 010LP on the back
haha, no way...
By inksb
milliondollars wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:09 pm
inksb wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:07 pm As some one who doesn't really have any Umiliani records in his collection, what would you guys recommend as "essential" purchases?
such a great artist! luckily almost all of his "essentials" were reissued over the past few years. you really have a hard time finding a really bad record by him. there are two very good compy on Four Flies. then i really love his scores, especially La Morte Bussa Due Volte which i consider one of his best. also i like the darker stuff like Mondo Inquieto, Suspense (both under the M.Zalla pseudonym) and his tribal/ethnic stuff like Continente Nero and Africa.
I haven't heard the score La Morete Bussa Due Volte, I'll check that out. I was listening to Continente Nero and Aftrica last week. I enjoyed both of them but they are not priority on the list of stuff to grab from him. I really need to dive more into his work though.

I'm checking out a few songs from that Atom Flowers record you posted above. Sounds pretty great. Looks like Dusty Groove has some copies for the US crowd.
By texasvinyl
Atom Flowers is one of my very favorite libraries. I think it's a really joyful italian jazz record. I am glad to see Right Tempo back in the game! What a nice choice too. this music deserves to be more accessible.
By havershaw
Coincidentally, I ordered Atom Flowers from Dusty Groove a couple of days ago, along with the Blue Sharks! I was wondering why no one had mentioned it here. I hadn’t heard of it but it was recommended since I had looked at the Blue Sharks record.

I also love Mondo Inquieto.
Also great:
La Ragazza Fuoristrada
La Ragazza Dalla Pelle Di Luna

He has two MP 2000 Guerre e Destruction LPs that I like a lot too.
By inksb
Dollarhyde wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:42 pm Tra scienza e fantascienza
I wish I could find a reasonably priced copy of the WRWTFWW pressing of this. I know @million says it's a terrible pressing but I can't afford an OG and feel like the repress I may eventually find at a good price. I love the album. I do forget it's Umiliani because I'm bad at keeping track of all the pseudonyms people go by
By inksb
Steve Powder wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:27 pm Hi, his Paesaggi album is being reissued, I have a soft spot for it. Even the cover is absolutely gorgeous
Who is reissuing it? I'm listening to it now and it's wonderful.
By Steve Powder
Four flies :)))
There are some duds, though you can almost buy it just for the cover. That's what I did on some Alessandroni albums
By Dollarhyde
inksb wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:30 pm
Dollarhyde wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:42 pm Tra scienza e fantascienza
I wish I could find a reasonably priced copy of the WRWTFWW pressing of this. I know @million says it's a terrible pressing but I can't afford an OG and feel like the repress I may eventually find at a good price. I love the album. I do forget it's Umiliani because I'm bad at keeping track of all the pseudonyms people go by
Yeah, his aliases get really confusing sometimes.😅

I've not heard the reissue but can say that the og sounds really nice, and I think a lot of these OG records have a particular sound due to the pressing, which depending on the music of the record may be more, or less, crucial to the listening experience. For example Braen's underground reissue (apparently mastered from tapes) just sounds a bit flat and messed with digitally (compression?). It sounds ok but just sounds like another reissue, and I don't own an og but can imagine that the harsh guitars and screaming keyboard work and hard rhythm section must hit so much better on vinyl made the way it was back then, Brighter maybe? More transparency? Analogue.

I don't know anything about mastering or making vinyl reissues, but sometimes I feel there is too much messing around in the remastering phase. At the end of the day you have a source CD, tape or vinyl and that is, what it is, and you can't create something, sonically, that isn't originally there.