Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By texasvinyl
havershaw wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:41 pm @Steve it’s really great! I ordered the other three already. Really solid all the way through.

I have 13 of them and I think maybe only 1 or 2 were so-so (or really uneven, at least). All the rest are really consistently great listens, start to finish.

That’s getting more and more important to me - I have a lot of library records that have 1-2 killer tracks but everything else is circus or whatever. (and I’m starting to run out of room on the shelves, again.)
exactly this, these are the records I will pull out and listen to. No bad tracks is the best, one or two is not a big deal, half the tracks are bad I start wondering how much I need it or if the good tracks have been comped or pressed on 7". The ones with one or two good tracks I don't pull out much, but then again there are some damn fine 2-trackers. That purple cover Musica per commenti sonori by gazzani comes to mind. So I still grab those when I can and keep them in mind for mixes.
By Bezulsqy
Bezulsqy wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:54 am
EvanCampbell wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:39 am Bez that is a very esthetically pleasing shot to view.
Haha. Thank you!
Feelings is a fantastic listen but is it supposed to sound very bass heavy? My copy is a new 2021 pressing from the 2016 re-issue and it sounds really good as in no clicks and pops. But it has a very pronounced bass.
By ChrisMcQueen007
Bezulsqy wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:48 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:54 am
EvanCampbell wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:39 am Bez that is a very esthetically pleasing shot to view.
Haha. Thank you!
Feelings is a fantastic listen but is it supposed to sound very bass heavy? My copy is a new 2021 pressing from the 2016 re-issue and it sounds really good as in no clicks and pops. But it has a very pronounced bass.
Hm, can‘t say my Easy Tempo version is particularly bass heavy. And I used to have the 2016 re-issue and can‘t say it stood out to me as being bass heavy either.
By havershaw
This week’s library arrivals (I put this in the wrong thread before):
2778504A-7FFC-4931-9A08-F48AE58F7912.jpeg
2778504A-7FFC-4931-9A08-F48AE58F7912.jpeg (569.58 KiB) Viewed 2222 times

How I did not already have UST 335, I don’t know. Seems like I blinked and suddenly there weren’t any copies in the US. eBay came through for me on this one.
By texasvinyl
"Capitol Custom" media music - release no. 3 - No. 7 Beat Music. One minute jams. These one minute media music can be great, a shame they're not longer
Attachments
PXL_20210220_225537201~2.jpg
PXL_20210220_225537201~2.jpg (929.46 KiB) Viewed 2204 times
By texasvinyl
This Marchetti fellow did some great stuff. I am listening to Equinox tonight. It is a fascinating record, I figured I would write about it.

It starts out with this fascinating thing, a dubbed in crowd noise and some kind of announcer to bring in the track-- but why?? it's some special piece of fusion, progressive disco?? Tropical proto-boogie? Rhinestone country funk?

Next you get a sort of schmaltzy mixture of a compelling sort of soap opera trumpet melody and think 'meh.' But then you notice those are synths coming in behind the trumpet with some tambourine, and then they fold in a little wordless vocal to cap it off. I appreciate the way they elevated what would be a cheeseball song on any other record.

It shifts gears again to a pretty and maybe a little melancholy and hopeful classical number called "Over" which has some wordless female vocal delicately included in the mix. Very nice.

The next track is a bouncy nearly-vocal track called "Listen" -- the country boogie is back. This whole track is a wild walk through the inside of a creative's colorful dream. It's almost like the theme song to a comfortable old sitcom or maybe a biker film you know, except you are inside a circus tent in the upside-down place. Does that make any sense?

Side A closes with Maria Magdalena, a track that is also hard to describe. It has a rustic folk sensibility with harmonica and a violin with some kind of small strummed stringed instrument, but then all of a sudden it slows down, and a single note Hawaiian steel guitar line comes in accentuated by sustained single note harmonica, and then saccharine strings bring it to an emotional peak before it shifts back to the rustic bit again. you get one more shift back to the beauty counterpoint, and at the end the whole thing comes together with a male + female wordless choral line.

B side starts out with a bang. "No Parking" is slamming country funk with bongos and bboy drums and then a guitar solo with a guy scatting to the solo, accentuated with a guy doing a sort of monkey yell, and then at the very end before the fade out for shits and giggles they throw in some large bells.

"Chukeba Bay" brings back the bongos but at a slower tempo over the sound of waves, seagulls and a trumpet. An acoustic guitar joins, along with a second horn (trombone?). A blistering fast jazz piano line and some sultry sax jump in followed by strings. Psychedelic beach sex vibe?

"Jelly Beans" is bubbly outer space disco lounge music, soaring strings and chipper scat vocals, almost veering into Puccio Roelens late 70s lane a little bit. The musicianship on this is out of this world.

"Part-Y-Time" is a serious tune with genuine authentic party sounds... it's a hippy-fueled backwoods breakbeat cloud-floating dream lounge track and proof these so-called Italian library dudes were space aliens.

"Equinox" starts off somber, slow and with shimmering cymbals, and you don't know where it's headed. You get a little rope-a-dope thinking a groove is coming, but it isn't-- just some meandering sax and more shimmering cymbal. And then all of a sudden it turns into a Pink Floyd track. Before it's all over it shifts into some hippy flute over a jazz beat, a choral crescendo leads into some fuzzy guitar meandering as the record fades out.

It's a record that might be a bastard child of Daydream and Echoing America-- sort of a hippy-tinged country funk dream. I approve. Plus you can find the French RCA press for like 50-60 bucks.
By texasvinyl
Groovy record for a sunny day. If you include wind chill we had a 95° temperature swing in just a few days.

On the lookout for B83 and B84 from this series if you guys hear of any spares.
Attachments
PXL_20210223_204303082~2.jpg
PXL_20210223_204303082~2.jpg (1 MiB) Viewed 2123 times
By texasvinyl
A little bubblier than b82, both are pretty good
Attachments
PXL_20210224_001330970~2.jpg
PXL_20210224_001330970~2.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 2112 times
By Mateo Sanboval
Brethren, I am on the hunt for some I Marc 4 reissues. I already have, and please forgive my potential mislabeling, the Sonor reissues of Kelly Green, Red, and Navy Blue. I am curious if any of the other "colors" were reissued and/or if there are any can't miss reissues from the group under a different name? Thanks in advance for the knowledge.
By texasvinyl
Debito Coniugale on four flies
I Solisti Di Armando Trovajoli on plastic - I have one for sale
Light blue cover - G.L.P. 1007 - on pick up records label

these three are all really good.
By texasvinyl
and individually they played on.... well everything. vannucchi instrument credits on discogs are some heavy hitters!!

Nelson Psychout is a decent I Marc 4 comp as is Suoni Moderni - The Best Of Marc 4
By Mateo Sanboval
Thanks, Tex! I forgot about I Solisti altogether. I unintentionally/probably subconsiously intentionally omitted Debito Coniugale as I'm not too keen on the tracks I've streamed. Light Blue I had no idea about. Follow ups for you:

How is the Plast I Solisti pressing?
How is the Light Blue Pick Up pressing?
If one were to attain Lime Green, Red, Navy Blue, Light Blue, and I Solisiti, are either comp still worth a look?
Will Sonor pick up where they left off with the Color LPs? I feel like their label boss had six or seven of them at one point in cherry condition.
By texasvinyl
no clue about pick up pressing. the plastic is pretty good. comps might pick up tracks from the LPs without reissues, those Silver Men LPs are good but I can't remember what tracks are on the comps
By havershaw
Refreshing my memory on that Pick Up pressing - so far, dead quiet, and the mastering sounds great.
00A76BCA-DAC8-4E63-9872-9491F3BE2DAC.jpeg
00A76BCA-DAC8-4E63-9872-9491F3BE2DAC.jpeg (498.19 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
By havershaw
no problem!

Listened to both sides again (it’s been a little while). Super quiet pressing, mastering sounds terrific to me.
By texasvinyl
Weird but not too weird. The best tracks here blend lounge jazz with the moog or whatever synths they used

Here is "relaxation"

Attachments
PXL_20210303_193144489~2.jpg
PXL_20210303_193144489~2.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 2008 times
By texasvinyl
Yeah they can be tricky to find. Fortunately I've never had to spend a big amount on any, this was from Face NY, the cover has some problems so they accepted my lower offer. Sometimes it takes a couple of years to see the right copy but they do pop up on occasion.