Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By deafmetal
The Joe Renzetti interview was one of the best yet! I might hit him up for a preview of his upcoming book as well. Great stuff.
By ScoJo
Really proud of what we're doing with the DFC, bringing you guys our own picks of the latest and greatest soundtracks on vinyl. No sponsor, for free, for you. Hope you're all still digging it :)

Our 60th episode is a doozie, packed with content and our thoughts on what's been dropping in the last few weeks....

https://soundcloud.com/thedamnfinecast/dfc-ep-60
By Spun out of control
Many happy returns to the DFC on its 60th. Listening now to the banter 'n' bangers!

(also trying to keep up with the many intriguing DFC podcast spin offs & standalone shows!)

Would love a standalone programme on Italian library music, or Italian scores full stop.
Last edited by Spun out of control on Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Bezulsqy
Congrats indeed. Great episode. You guys seem to enjoy yourself even more than normal.

That Wolfmen of Mars songs was brilliant!

Did Scott actually say has was 'ragingly erect' ?

Wojciech Golczewski - Reality Check is not digital only. Also available on tape https://dataairlines.bandcamp.com/album ... ck-data048
And a future release on vinyl should be through Death Waltz Originals.

Rambo is fantastic! Also a Stallone fan. Was very happy to revisit a lot of Stallone a couple of years ago when I wanted the 12 year old son of my girlfriend to get to to know (almost) everything from Stallone and Schwarzenegger. Cobra is one of my favorites.

I intentionally did not listen to any clips of Zoo Folle (folle does mean mad or something like that) because I knew I might like it. And needed to buy it. That was a killer track you played. All that other Italian stuff is also brilliant. So much great releases out there at the moment. Hard to keep my wallet closed after hearing your clips.

Nightmare on Elm Street. Nothing more to say. Wondering about a re-issue though.

And finally DFC at the movies is a great addition.

Keep it up.
By ScoJo
@Ben

All of the above = thanks! (esp. for the Reality 'Fact' Check!)

And yes.....'ragingly erect'. Though mentally speaking, of course....(for the most part ;)
By ScoJo
Spun out of control wrote:Many happy returns to the DFC on its 60th. Listening now to the banter 'n' bangers!

(also trying to keep up with the many intriguing DFC podcast spin offs & standalone shows!)

Would love a standalone programme on Italian library music, or Italian scores full stop.
Thanks Spun, and......

Would love a standalone programme on Italian library music, or Italian scores full stop

Hmmmm.......
By deafmetal
Spun out of control wrote:Would love a standalone programme on Italian library music, or Italian scores full stop.
By Bezulsqy
Another great episode. And a very nice intro :-)
  • Lost River: brilliant! Never seen the movie and this was the first time I heard a clip from it. Very very good.
  • Sam Smith’s Prince of Darkness cover is fantastic!
  • Repeated Viewing rules as we all know here on STBC!
  • The Childhood of a Leader by Scott Walker sounded intense. I have a couple of newer releases from him and wanted to get his older stuff, but because I am not going to listen to his albums that much I decided to postpone their purchase. This however I need to get sooner.
  • Video game soundtracks: not buying any anymore.
  • Doctor Who and the Krotons: uhm… I think I get it 
  • Shawshank: like the movie but do not understand why it is (or was) number 1 in Empire magazine or 2 on IMDB. My girlfriend hates this movie probably as much as Scott. At the moment I don’t really care about the score. My head wants more synths or Italian jazzy loungey stuff. Or metal. I am lacking some emotions at the moment.
    Spacelab 9 also did District 9 and the Raid 2 and the Amazing Spiderman and The Addams Family and don’t forget the Lego Movie 
  • Ben Frost and Daniel Bjarnason’s Solaris: simply beautiful. I get this more than Shawshank Redemption.
  • Bryce Miller – WASP: haven’t received my tape yet, so this was my first listen. And it kicked whatever it can kick. Something hard. Superb sounding synths!
  • Everyone buy SNDTRK! And sorry about my spelling mistake on Discogs Scooterboy!
  • Nico Fidenco - Per Il Gusto Di Uccidere: loved it. I agree that I also skip the westerns. But this sounds right up my alley.
  • Conquest: I think you should have played the regular tracks instead of the remixes.
  • Does TG mean this:
  • Nora Orlandi – Il Dolce Corpe Di Deborah: already bought it and indeed amazing! And Jean Sorel is no Alain Delon  Very happy with all these giallo score re-issues. Don’t think I will ever be able to buy originals.
  • Gianni Ferrio - Una Farfalla Con Le Ali Insanguinate: Yes, you can class this as a giallo flick! Duccio Tessari is one of my favorite giallo directors. All three of his gialli are fantastic and stand-out examples of the genre! Anyways, a tremendous score this is. Because of the low prices and availability I wanted to postpone my purchase to next year. But hearing TG saying prices might increase I think he is right. And I don’t want to pay double next year. So while listening to the last part of your show I bought a copy (plus some other stuff to save on shipping – more on those when they arrive).
    Thanks for making me spend more money than I was planning for… ;-)
  • DFC at the movies: was afraid to listen because of the spoilers when I heard you were going to talk about The Conjuring 2. So I didn’t pay great attention. Next week I am planning to watch it. Sounds excellent!
    And need to revisit a lot of Brian de Palma. It has been a long long time since I have seen some of his films.
By ScoJo
@Bez

Haha, amazing breakdown! I'd love one of these for every show. Tell your GF she has great taste in films ;)

As for Conquest....yes that was thoroughly misjudged, I bet I put more people off than otherwise on that one :( Bad Scojo!!
By Bezulsqy
I listened to episode #62 the day after it aired but only now found the time to comment.

Very sorry to hear about the brief hiatus. I have a feeling that hiatus will take a while. I can understand why seeing all the extra stuff you guys are doing. But love the DFC. Good luck with all your endeavours!
  • I like the singing car salesman!
  • Mike Hammer! Excellent intro music.
  • Did not notice TG’s language… Love swearing.
  • Champagne of beer? From the USA? They are joking  Being Belgian and having had my fair share of beers… Blasphemy!
  • SJ nailed the opening
  • Nasal steroids? Okay then…
  • Hi hiatus.
  • Wolfmen Of Mars kick ass! https://wolfmenofmars.bandcamp.com/album/warp-suburbium
  • What was TG pick nr 1? Mike Hammer?
  • The Nightcomers – Jerry Fielding. Not my cup of tea. Do understand the Jessica Fletcher reference: https://silvascreenmusic.greedbag.com/b ... film-mu-0/
  • Against All Odds; The little bit of score you played sounded really good. The songs not so much… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Against_A ... Soundtrack
  • Lady In White. Also not my cup of tea. At the moment I am in my dark depressing scary music fase combined with Italian funky and jazzy sounds.
  • Curtis Mayfield – Claudine. I also would not go so far as the orgasm part, but that track sounded superfly. There does seem to be some recurring themes for the both of you. From the Mr Skin references to orgasm and being ragingly erect…
  • Wojciech Golczewski makes top notch synth music. Love his releases. End Of Transmission definitely is from the future! https://soundcloud.com/lakeshore-record ... mission-01
  • David Mansfield – The Sicilian: sounded much more up my alley than you other pound-bin-finds. And have never seen it. Interesting.
  • The Champ by Dave Grusin: Jim Montage 
  • Very funny to hear SJ say yes to TG’s incorrect movie trivia
  • Tonight She Comes is fantastic. Still available at Transmission Records I think.
  • Data Airlines is a very nice label from France: http://www.dataairlines.net/store/
  • The Empire Strikes Back: I am not a Star Wars fan and have nothing more to say about this 
  • Did not know about Halt and Catch Fire. What you both described sounded really good. Will check it out: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2543312/
  • The Night Of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_Of; Will definitely watch this!
  • So Sausage Parrty and Blair Witch suck. As expected.
  • After hearing the podcast I watched Man VS Snake. Absolutely loved it. I had seen King of Kong and this was more like that. Athletes on pizza and energy drink!
  • I know I have seen the sequels for Jaws but cannot remember how good or bad they were. Need to watch those again.
By ScoJo
@Bezulsqy -

Ahh, I do love reading your mini-reviews/breakdown - giving an old man a chuckle ;)

Glad you sought out Man vs Snake as it's great! Do continue to avoid Sausage Witch heh heh
By Bezulsqy
I was thinking Psycho III but that is not on Varese but MCA according to discogs. Cannot find another 80's cult horror that could fit that bill...
By Bezulsqy
Slow day at the office so time to do this:

In ep 62 a hiatus was announced.
This a damn short hiatus…

Ep 63. TG flies solo.
  • No no no no no no. It is not okay to start the DFC with 1:30 of Full Force. Solo episode or not. And that song shouldn’t be in any film. Musical guy that runs to the store to get the soundtrack of House Party? Something doesn’t seem right in that sentence.
  • Of course I am kidding. A bit. But on the internet my sense of humour may not come across. Therefore this disclaimer.
  • Chromatics – After Dark. Although I hate Marmite this I kinda like. I do love Lost River.
  • A Field in England. Actually never heard a clip. But I had it in my wish list based on recommendations. And that sounded really cool.
  • Don’t Breath. Actually went to see the movie a month ago and was surprised by it in a very good way. The score during the movie not so much. Thought it was nothing special but did its job during the movie. Can’t imagine I am going to play this release in a way I do with The Witch or You’re Next.
  • Rocktober Blood. Should have started this episode with this song  The musical guy in me bought the tape version of this release. Rock on!
  • I don’t mind paying for anything as my bank statement shows every month. Fucking discogs and newslettermails. Damn you!
  • Swiss Army Man. This was a very pleasant surprise. Very different and up my alley.
  • Shock Waves. Fantastic score. Fantastic movie.
  • Dungeon synth thing?
  • Pick of the week: Nosferatu – James Bernard. I can definitely understand why this is so highly regarded. First I think this is not for me. But hearing it again while I type this I am reconsidering. To answer your question: I am waiting on more money before I buy this. A lot went out of the window ordering Italian jazz funk bosa nova stuff.
  • Stranger Things. Nothing to add. However. I am getting tired of the buzz/hype. I really loved the show. I love the bits of music I hear. But seeing all these variants and tie-ins with the show I am feeling a bit of Stranger Things fatigue.
  • That volume 2 bit did sound finger licking good though.
  • City Depths and Orgasmo Sonore releases from Spun Out Of Control. Fantastic releases and brilliant quality tapes and artwork.
  • You may not need to get up to turn the tape over. All three decks I use do not have auto reverse. I love getting up all the time.
  • Perfect Blue. Forgot how great this is. I have a DVD from 12 years or so ago. Love that anime.
  • You do love talking about soundtrack music ;-)
  • Hope you had a great Mondocon.
  • TG on TV. Thanks by the way for talking about The Night Off in the previous episode. Excellent show!
And directly into episode 64. Hiatus shmiatus.
SJ on his own.
  • So weird hearing TG’s intro knowing he is not on this episode.
  • The difference between the start of the last episode and this couldn’t have been bigger. Last week I started confused an annoyed. This week just simply depressed.
  • Indeed. It is just you, SJ. With your voice. Coming at my ears.
  • Too Late. You were right. Did not know anything about the movie. The more you played that score the more I enjoyed it. I can imagine just sitting in a comfy chair with a glass of single malt and listening and contemplating.
  • The movie also sounded as something I would love. Big fan of The Player!
  • Jan Zonder Vrees. Your pronunciation was not bad. I think I would translate it as Jan without fear. I was born in 1980 in Belgium and although I know about it I can’t remember having watched it. Sounded electronic! FFFLAFF! Who doesn’t love a Korg Vocoder!
  • I agree: get that Wojciech Golczewski record.
  • Very exciting times indeed!
  • Lost Highway. Still need to get that one.
  • More talk about records I want but cannot buy at the moment.
  • Afro rock? Sounded really cool. I think. Needed to rewind a bit to hear more while you were talking about those records I want.
  • L’Eclisse – Giovanni Fusco. This made me very happy. I can see myself playing this a lot while smiling.
  • L’Avventura – Giovanni Fusco. Place and time captured! I guess. I wasn’t there. But sounded superb.
  • Yes, enjoying this episode. Your tone of voice got more energetic as this episode proceeded.
  • Again the hiatus. Did you say Halloween is our Christmas? Or hiatus until after Christmas?
  • The two other people in my household love Pink Floyd. I understand why.
  • I rate it as NM!
  • Please keep bringing out stuff that contains a lot of music!
  • Le Revelateur. Harp and synth and gitar? Drifting away. In a mellow way not the I am getting bored way.
  • The Dead – pallet is not deadened yet so might not see this movie for a while.
  • Jeff Fahey you say. Are you sure it’s an 80’s movie? Can’t find a Varese pressing that fits.
  • Still not seen Black Mirror.
  • 8MM is great!
All in all two very different but very nice episodes. I heard a lot of stuff I like and could purchase and some stuff I will never ever get.
Curious to see what you guys have coming next. Anyways good luck with all your endeavours.
By ScoJo
@skeleton -

Ahh man...I hates to disappoint (generally, in life...) but if I recall correctly, TGs actual words after last year's show were
"Never fucking again!"

No offense to our lovely guests you understand, it was just a fuck of a lot more work than either of us thought it would be.

So, urm...sorry :-(
By ScoJo
Bezulsqy wrote: [*] Jeff Fahey you say. Are you sure it’s an 80’s movie? Can’t find a Varese pressing that fits.
Ahh, I was wrong - it's '91 ;-/
By Bezulsqy
ScoJo wrote:
Bezulsqy wrote: [*] Jeff Fahey you say. Are you sure it’s an 80’s movie? Can’t find a Varese pressing that fits.
Ahh, I was wrong - it's '91 ;-/
And the score by a Dutchman!
Reading the synopsis of the movie I remember having seen it mid nineties on VHS. No idea anymore about how it was. How is the score?
By ScoJo
@Bez -

Just arrived today...I'll let you know! The film is great fun, big Eric Red fan.

(Anyone else got it from the clues yet?)

What a great day for arrivals though - that one, Never Ending Story, Salem's Lot, Mad Monster Party, another Dutch banger by Pieter Verlinden and a few other surprises.
By tim28212
ScoJo wrote:@Bez -

Just arrived today...I'll let you know! The film is great fun, big Eric Red fan.

What a great day for arrivals though - that one, Never Ending Story, Salem's Lot, Mad Monster Party, another Dutch banger by Pieter Verlinden and a few other surprises.
I have a pretty good idea, and it's on my want list.
By Mateo Sanboval
tim28212 wrote:
ScoJo wrote:@Bez -

I have a pretty good idea, and it's on my want list.
I think I own it...