Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By deafmetal
Another fun episode. Enjoyed the in-depth interview.
By static14
Okay my top 10 scores for films made since 2000 available on Vinyl. Here they are in no particular order:

Gladiator
Maniac
Under The Skin
Beyond The Black Rainbow
Pan's Labyrinth (maybe number 1 if i did put them in order)
Inception
Interstellar
Solaris
Drive
The Book of Eli (I might be the odd man out but I prefer this to any of the scores Ross has done with Reznor)

Couldn't type it all out on twitter :)
By DISCOSUCKS...
Nice list, Chris. I'm down with the inclusion of Eli and no less than three Zimmers! When it comes to HZ, my own list is going to have a surprising and controversial inclusion by him..... ;)

In case anyone is clueless to the context of all this - I tweeted yesterday that we'll be doing a special edition of the Damn Fine Podcast soon where @TAG and I reveal our top 10 original scores on vinyl since 2000. Be great to compare with your own.

By filmsonwax
My top ten:

SOLARIS
BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW
MANIAC
DROKK
STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS
TRON LEGACY
EVIL DEAD
INTERSTELLAR
GRAVITY
THE SOCIAL NETWORK
By deathwaltz
Our parent company is releasing ROAR in theaters this summer, I saw it a couple of times last month .
A jaw dropping piece of madness, the film is not a doc but a narrative piece unfortunatley 150 lions, tigers and panthers do not take direction well so you can imagine what happens.
@tag is right the score is great although after chatting to the composers last month they were never truly happy with the version that was released as they felt it had supurflous trcks on it .
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RmnuHT ... redirect=1[/video]
theme tune is proper earworm material
By deathwaltz
Yeah I know all about the behind the scenes madness.
The movie is an absolutley terrifying watch to be sure
By DISCOSUCKS...
"Melanie Griffith suffered extensive facial reconstruction..."

Fuck a duck!! :O
By deathwaltz
Jan de bont was scalped during filming , some of this maulings make it on screen (well most do to be honest !)
By DISCOSUCKS...
I watched Roar this morning.

Fuqaduq - the most unbearably tense 90mins of screen time I can imagine, almost unwatchable. I imagine it plays more like a balls-out horror comedy in a packed cinema though.

STOP CHEWING ON LOVELY MELANIE, FER CHRISSAKES!!! :o
By texasvinyl
Where did you see it? Looks like the film reel currently making the rounds won't be stopping in Dallas, so I might have to wait for the DVD.
By DISCOSUCKS...
An early-bird treat for US listeners to the podcast - I'm throwing up our special episode 5½ nice and early for you guys (as I'm gonna be up all night here in the UK glued to the election results, watching as the shithead Conservatives (probably) get another 4 years to continue trashing the country and punishing anyone who wasn't born with Blue Genes, a trust fund or whose sole purpose isn't to accumulate personal wealth.....but hey, you never know right?)

This interim episode features our first physical guest here at Solatron Studios, in the form of fellow Spin member and soundtrack lover @HNC!

Get bad, Jack!

https://soundcloud.com/damn-fine-podcast/dfp-ep-55
By EvanCampbell
Thanks Disco...I have 2 now to catch up on. Yeah I have been watching the bullshit unroll over there as well. It is just impossible to get out of this death spin politically.
By static14
Good stuff yet again! Seems like you all had a good time with this one. :)
By DISCOSUCKS...
^ Thanks for listening guys! You both would make great guests for future episodes, let us know if you're ever in the vicinity! ;)
By soundtracks of fear
Another fun podcast, great quiz idea, we can all join in at home; shouting at the phone yes TAG you're right it is ...! Or no no no definately not that, it's ... oh I got it wrong as well :)
Scott does Tony get to put you to the challenge? Well done Mr TAG!
By DISCOSUCKS...
Haha....nice one @Dagar - I always hoped/intended that listeners would play along, that's great to hear.

I can't wait for @TAG to turn the tables on me! I'm sure I'll crash and burn :D
By shiptoshore
Always good to hear the Class of Nuke 'Em High theme! Good episode guys!
By tonyandrewgiles
@dagar - Oh you just wait ;)
By Bezulsqy
Loved the last episode (5.5). Especially the bit about the collector part. It triggered me into writing this very long post :-)

Going through the topics on STBC I see posts from people that know and love everything about scores and soundtracks. I love the passion that one can feel in the remarks and the stories. I love the passion you guys in the Damn Fine Podcast let loose on us all. All of you created something I want to be a part of.

My soundtrack buying history was limited to the score for The Omen on vinyl (because I loved the evil sounding music and the cover), Vampyros Lesbos on cd (in love with Soledad Miranda at the time) and now I think of it because I saw the video for it on MTV’s Alternative Nation hosted by Toby what’s his name. And also all the cd’s from the Tarantino movies. Between 2003 and 2013 I didn’t buy a lot of music at all. A year and a half ago I started again, but now records instead of cd’s. I bought the B&O Beogram record player because I saw it in Dawn of the Dead when I re-watched that movie. I didn’t know anything about it, it just looked incredibly cool. A year of buying records from artists I loved ensued. And then all this soundtrack stuff got onto my radar :-)

Since last December I subscribed to One Way Static and Waxwork. I bought 5 OOP Death Waltz releases (4 subscriber editions). Followed by a lot of newly released stuff from almost all the labels that you can find here. Every time Sara from OWS sends a new heads up for some title they get I ask for the Paypal invoice and add it to my Static Club order. For the first months of this year I loved the STPC topic New OST vinyl releases. Thank you for getting me to buy Under Pompelmo and The Silence :-) I also love my Cindelic releases.
For the last month or so I lost the love for that topic. There is so much coming out. And all this stuff I don’t know, but that sounds absolutely great. It just doesn’t stop. I love the sound on all those library releases. It is a world I was not familiar with at all. But it is just too much…

And now I am a bit at a loss. I need to evaluate what I want (and can afford) to collect. I don’t have a lot of time to put records on, but a lot for listening on my iPhone. That would mean I don’t need to buy a lot if it was only about the music. But for me it isn’t only about the music. I love the feel of the releases. It brings me back to the time I didn’t have a lot of responsibilities and I could endlessly watch VHS tapes and later DVD’s of the movies that have their soundtrack released again now. And all in beautiful packages with brilliant artwork, great sound quality and beautiful coloured vinyl. How I love all those colours and splatter effects :-)

I am very easily triggered by all the hype surrounding new releases. I am envious towards people that say that in the end it is all about the music and that they don’t care about the edition and are happy to just get any copy of a release. Sentences like limited to 300 and this is going to be gone in seconds send a signal to my finger to click again and again on a Buy Now button. I am not holding anything against the labels that just want to have a solid business model because in the end it is me that is spending too much, not them forcing me to. For me the draw is in the complete package. I want the most exclusive version of a release of something that I want to listen to. And I will play that version.

Yes, I am experiencing some heavy first world problems :-D

So what to do now. I know I can’t buy everything. And I noticed that all the hype surrounding releases is just that. A hype. Almost never do records sell out on the same day. A lot of the times you can wait weeks. And if even if you wait months of a year you will find a reasonably priced version somewhere on the internet. So no need to buy immediately. Or for me to buy at all for the coming months…
Most important part is figuring out what I like the most to own and play.
Musically I love on the one hand the dark synths sounds like the ones you find on Prince of Darkness and on the other hand the funky feel good swinging hip sounds on Under Pompelmo. Also the strange avant-garde stuff intrigues me. Big orchestrated pieces played by the London Symphony Orchestra is less my cup of tea. So taste of music is not really a good way to limit stuff I want.
So what does the collector in me want? Am I a completist? Do I want all the variants… No I do not. I thought I did, but the music is more important than having extra copies of a release that remain unplayed. Do I want everything a label puts out? Yes I do :-) But not from every label. I love One Way Static the most. And because they don’t have that many releases as of yet it is a good place to start. I do love Waxwork and Death Waltz. Mondo less so. But first things first :-)

To conclude: I am going to slow down buying stuff for the next months. Focus on One Way Static. Wait for a normal price for the OOP releases and not hurry in and pay inflated prices.

If there is still anyone reading by this time, thank you :-)I needed to write all this down as a reflection on my behaviour as a consumer in general and a beginning soundtrack enthusiast specifically.

All the best!

Ben.
By Spun out of control
Very well put Ben - think your thoughts and scenario will chime with a lot of us on here. Am trying to stay away from the library records thread because that is a whole other world of collecting.. and expense (that said, couldn't resist the Sonor Vivere a Tokio pre-order). The soundtrack release schedule alone has been overwhelming lately, especially coming so soon after RSD. I am also getting more choosy out of financial necessity and sheer volume of 'stuff'...

To bring things back to the Damn Fine Podcast, I like the way the show concentrates on just a few scores and not necessarily whatever has been hyped the most that particular week. It makes for a more chilled, less panic-fuelled listen...
By DISCOSUCKS...
Hey Ben,

Thanks for listening to the DFP, and especially your kind comments! We appreciate it.

I'm going to keep this brief, in answer to your great and detailed long post - man, don't apologise, if ever there was a place where you can get things off your chest on this subject, and think aloud in a community that won't judge or berate you...well, this is it man! There's definitely a special vibe here. We all know it, and I'm sure I speak for a lot of others when I say - we almost don't want to talk about it too much, as it can be a fragile thing and can be quite easily spoiled....

For me, all I can say is this: regarding your last paragraph - IMO we should always try and keep those two factors the other way round. It isn't easy, I completely agree. Part of that "hit it quick, there's only 300" reaction is anxiety that you'll be scalped by some flipper turd within the fortnight if you sleep on something. My philosophy going forward is: fuck it. Stay on the boards. Make friends. Be part of the community of people who genuinely love and support the artists/music that these wonderful labels are making available. There are great folks on here who hook each other up ALL the time, for no reward. (As I mentioned elsewhere, a fellow forum member sent me a free copy of a sought after/limited DWRC release. From the States, to the UK! Not because they wanted something from me, but because they're a cool guy. And in return, I hooked them up with a RSDUK release I knew they were after. And so it goes.)

Let's not be blind consumers. It'll kill this special little world we all love. Almost all of the labels are doing it for the right reason. Let's buy their releases for the right reason too.

Peace out.
By DISCOSUCKS...
Thanks as ever for listening @Spun. Really glad that our approach works for you - just two guys, chatting about their new purchases and upcoming scores they're personally excited about! :D
By Dollarhyde
I often think about limiting myself to one/two records a month.

Partly to save money but also to filter what I buy to the most essential.

Never works though, I always break. I guess if you limit your vinyl purchases to a specific genre something like this would be more achievable.