Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By synthxanderharris
The Omen, wow is that score a thing of pure terror beauty. The Ballad of Cable Hogue is a really great, underrated western soundtrack.
By oaxaca
Loving this episode! Coma is such a cool film, I have the vinyl but haven't played it for such a long time, I'd forgotten how F13-esque it is (or vice versa as you point out!). Seconds is a top recommendation, and is coming out on blu ray shortly in the UK from Eureka, can't wait to see it in HD!

Another cool Goldsmith score you didn't mention (there's too many right?) is to the Sean Connery early 80s sci-fi film Outland, have always loved the touches of electronica he adds to supplement the huge orchestral sound. Goldsmith is so versatile but I definitely think he excels with science fiction. He must be a fan or something!

Another great cast dudes, keep it up.
By tonyandrewgiles
Thanks @oaxaca, we could do so many episodes on Goldsmith, I'm sure we'll do a part 2 at some point purely because of how much he's actually done.

I must have at least another 10 I'd love to talk about, I didn't even mention Hoosiers!!!
By synthxanderharris
I forgot he did Alien Nation, which is just amazing and weird.
By tim28212
Oh wow! A couple of celebrities mentioned my name on the web. :)

My top 5 scores, picking the last one was hard but I am so psyched about Rudy coming to vinyl later this year I picked it as my fifth.
Alien
The Omen
Psycho II
Poltergeist
Rudy

following SJ queue here are some of my favorite themes. All these score are excellent (IMHO) but these themes kept the titles spinning in my CD player

Rudy: Tryouts
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibb7NtALV58[/video]

Medicine Man: The Fire
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmmGfKi-q6k[/video]

Fierce Creatures: Willa's Theme
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nI_asM ... cyNxhpbGfK[/video]

this one is for TG who shares my love for Goldsmtih and choral music
First Knight: Arthur's Farewell
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsnY-gs ... _o&index=9[/video]

side-note, Seconds shares a double bill with I.Q. was released by La-La Land Records
By deafmetal
Enjoyed the Goldsmith episode! Alien is my personal favorite of his.
By Dollarhyde
Great episode, as was your interview with christopher young. Very educational for someone like myself who knows little about either composer. I do have a few Goldsmith records though. I'm a fan of his work in the early sixties late fifties for the twilight zone, very intense and unforgiving but some powerful stuff.

For each series composers were chosen to fully score a few select episodes. Elements of which would get rehashed into other episodes. Goldsmith did more than a few.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf-_4zcii_M[/video]
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R9gAbfYvFE[/video]
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjaC5tNdmMU[/video]
By soundtracks of fear
First Blood for me, it was one of those films I watched about 50 times as a kid probably twice a week, my favourite movie until Beetlejuice came along! (I know he didn't score Beetlejuice!)
The Omen really epitomes 70's horror scores, it is very intense and a terrifying score.
Goldsmith made the music to so many films we watched growing up, many of us were probably just watching films and unaware of soundtracks back then, but he was/is the man.
By tonyandrewgiles
Looks like our Goldsmith episode has struck a chord with everyone & I'm so glad you're all enjoying it.

Pretty much everything @dagar said is why I started the Goldsmith quest, the man literally scored my childhood.

I must have around 20 scores now and know there is at least another 20 I need to own!!

I think at some point we'll certainly tackle a part 2 with some of the suggestions made on the forum :)
By tonyandrewgiles
@Dollar - Adding these to the wants list...
By tonyandrewgiles
@tim - You know where my heart lays.

Such a superb score, can't say I've ever seen the film but adding this one to the wants list.
By deafmetal
Finally got around to catching the Halloween episode, which was a really fun listen. I especially enjoyed the cross-Atlantic banter between the two camps and hearing everybody's "spooky" picks.

DFC Trivia: the first vinyl release of Fabio Frizzi's theme from Zombi 2 was a two-track Japanese 45 called Theme from Sanguelia that was released in 1980: Discogs Link
By deafmetal
Very thrilling to hear a theme from Manhattan Baby on the DFC. I agree with the comment that they are some of Frizzi's best. I would say the film is not one of Fulci's best though.

Enjoyed the interview with Kreng -- straight talk!
By Spun out of control
Just listened to the mini episode on the Victoria soundtrack that had slipped my radar... plenty for you chaps to enjoy on the Erased Tapes label if you're digging the ivory tinkling antics of Mr Frahm.... ;)

Know SJ don't buy no CDs, but the Olafur Arnalds and Nils Frahm compilation 'Collaborative Works' is an absolute must for fans of ambient/electronic/modern classical.

I now need to add another 'must watch' movie to my list.
By Bezulsqy
Just finished listening to episode 33. Very nice episode. Enjoy your talk with Layne a lot.

Thanks for the all the casts youd did this year. I learned a lot. And my wishlist has grown accordingly.
All the best to you both. Happy holidays!
By ScoJo
@Bezulsqy - you too my friend! It's been fun so far, and we'll keep going as long as you guys seem to dig it...has already become so much more than either myself or TG ever thought it would.

If anyone's in that post-turkey slump on Xmas Day, do join us for our special Talk-a-Long with the classic seasonal horror comedy GREMLINS! We've put a sync cue in the podcast, so you can even watch along with us ;)

Happy holidays to our STBC brothers n sisters!
By chiefbrody
+1 @bezulsqy's comments. The podcast has become an essential listen for me. It's widened my knowledge and expanded my tastes this year. Thanks for all the hard work - you make it sound easy, but I'm sure it's not.

Merry Christmas, DFC
By J.R.
ScoJo wrote:@Bezulsqy - you too my friend! It's been fun so far, and we'll keep going as long as you guys seem to dig it...has already become so much more than either myself or TG ever thought it would.

If anyone's in that post-turkey slump on Xmas Day, do join us for our special Talk-a-Long with the classic seasonal horror comedy GREMLINS! We've put a sync cue in the podcast, so you can even watch along with us ;)

Happy holidays to our STBC brothers n sisters!
Attachments
moogwai.jpg
moogwai.jpg (37.67 KiB) Viewed 3853 times
By Bezulsqy
Today I listened to the new cast. You guys talked about your best of 2015:

- Ex Machina
- Red queen kills seven times
- Holy Mountain
- Black Swan
- Martin
- Belladonna of Sadness
- Gone Girl
- Pieces
- Chud
- Wicked City
- Dance of Reality
- Girl walks Home Alone at Night
- Shock
- Phase IV
- Spasmo
- Blue Ruin
- The Mask
- 30 days of night
- Blood for Dracula
- Tacet

I think I missed one in the list above…
Anyways, really enjoyed this episode. I got me thinking a lot. About a lot of different stuff. I am wondering how long this post is going to be 

First. From the 20 releases you played I only bought 5. But in my mind I bought a lot of stuff. So I had a look in Discogs and exported my collection to excel. With filters on LP and 2015 it showed that I bought 78 albums in 2015 (and a lot of 7”and tapes as well). Of those albums 10 are non-OST. So why didn’t I buy more releases from your list? For instance I didn’t buy any Dagored release… And hearing the samples again during your show I must have been mad!

This has to do with the other point you guys talked about: blind buying craziness! I completely acknowledge that I went crazy with blind buying last year. Blind in the sense of not hearing the actual score but listening to people saying: this is essential! And one of pressing of 500! RSD Hype! Mondocon hype! Hype here, hype there! I am a really big sucker for all the hype.
I bought a lot of limited variants from Death Waltz and Waxworks. From some releases even more than one copy. Because I could find Dagored releases for normal prices on Discogs (because they press about a 1000 of each release) I put those releases in my wish list. They will still be there when I have money again in a year. I had the feeling that for a lot of the limited releases that wouldn’t be the case with all the flippers out there.

Looking back: lesson learned! Because in 2016: fuck it.
As TG said: in the end you can get everything you want eventually. And that is true. Thankfully a lot of Mondo/Death Waltz releases are being pressed in larger quantities. And even the smaller obscure releases don’t sell out that fast (Black Belly…).
My resolution for this year is to not let any hype break my bank account like it did last year. I spend more than 15% of my monthly income on records. This year that has to drop to below 5%. I didn’t save a penny in 2015. And in 2017 I want to take my girlfriends son on a small road trip to California. And I’m not going to let my record buying addiction fucked that up.
Looking back it really does feel like an addiction for me. Every time there were mentions of records dropping at random times I felt stuff I don’t want to feel when thinking about buying anything.

I don’t want to be a downer. Writing this has to do with me reflecting on me  Let the businesses be businesses with all the selling tools they have and use. I am old enough to make my own choices… or deal with the consequences.

So:
I can’t have it all. And in 2016 I am trying to not want it all. I am going to take more time listening to all the great stuff I have bought (and enjoy the new release coming I already paid for through my Waxwork, Terrorvision and OWS subs). My wish list will continue to grow. I will keep learning about new and old scores. I love this small STBC community and want to keep being a small part of it.

And thanks to the companies bigger and especially the smaller ones for putting so much effort and creativity in their work. Packaging in 2015 was incredible.

And now some my favourite 2015 releases:

- Under Pompelmo (Cinedelic Records)
- Absurd (Death Waltz Recording Company)
- The Mask (Ondes Positives Recordings)
- Mark of the Devil I & II (One Way Static Records)
- Cub (Relapse Records)
- Martin (Ship To Shore Phonograph Co.)
- From A Whisper To A Scream (Original Soundtrack)( Terror Vision)
- Nosferatu, The Vampyre (Original Score) (Waxwork Records)

And everybody please stop using the word “essential” ;-)