Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
Still have to listen to the last hour of the cast with Frizzi....
But your short episode about Bone Tomahawk: https://soundcloud.com/thedamnfinecast/dff6
made me reconsider my ideas about that score. During the movie I really didn't notice it that much until just before the end credits. Having heard more clips outside the movie I have to say it really is quite good...
By ScoJo
@chief @mateo
Well, you guys know your onions...just glad my blather was of some practical use. God knows actually writing about music (as most of us are aware) is a largely frustrating, subjective (and pointless?) task! But wanted to shout out about some stuff that may be off people's radars a bit. Tacet and Antwerp Killer are, I say again, friggin fantastic btw!

@Bezulsqy
You definitely wouldn't regret it! ;)
By chiefbrody
I enjoyed the latest shorter, guest-less episode. January has had the traditional lull for releases.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke and all that, but I've thought a few times that discussion of 're-discoveries' would be really interesting. Especially in quieter weeks. I've always taken the discussion to be 'new finds', but maybe I'm wrong, or maybe delving into the back catalogues of guests does that. I think it would be fun.

I always thought Dark Blue was a great Kurt Russell performance in an okay-but-not-great film. It got me to thinking this week that in almost everything I've seen him in, he's been the best thing about it. Obviously the classics are consistently great, but especially in weaker films (eg Death Proof), his performance raises the quality of the film considerably.
By ScoJo
@chief
Thanks for the DFC thoughts-def something to consider.
Re:Kurt - really couldnt agree more. His Stuntman Mike transformed DP from kinda good to my favourite of QTs last 4/5 films. Howeve, i really should revisit Captain Ron to fully test out the theory!!
By chiefbrody
There's no need to go that far @ScoJo!

Also meant to say, as TG asked, I listen on Soundcloud at the moment, mainly because I don't have an iPhone and upgraded from an ipod. I'm thinking of using iTunes though and putting it on my old ipod, purely because my Bluetooth keeps cutting out for the same 2 mile stretch and I'm stuck listening to a Tony sounding like David Caruso in CSI Miami, speaking in three word bursts with painfully long pauses!
By Mateo Sanboval
chiefbrody wrote:weaker films (eg Death Proof)
Curb your tongue, knave.
By deafmetal
Excellent interview with Fabio Frizzi. It brings back great memories of meeting him last year. His musicianship and composition skills are even more highlighted by hearing him talk about his creative process. He is still one of my biggest inspirations, and continues to be year after year.

Wow, possibly even more material forthcoming from the original master tapes from The Beyond? The expanded CD on Beat Records already seems all-encompassing. Very interesting. His back catalog is legendary, but have any of you kept up with his newer releases? I find his score for House of Forbidden Secrets to be quite good. It has only been released on CD, but I recommend checking it out.
By chiefbrody
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
chiefbrody wrote:weaker films (eg Death Proof)
Curb your tongue, knave.
I hear you @mateo. I thought about using something universally derided, because I actually like Death Proof (especially in its 'Grindhouse' form/length). I'm not sure how much I would like it without KR though. While it's not a bad film, it is a fair example of my point - its weaker than, say, The Thing, but, for me, he out-performs the rest of the film.
By Mateo Sanboval
Shoot, chief. I'm just giving you the business. You're A Number One in my book. I love Death Proof and it may be my favorite QT Joint since Jackie Brown, but I don't expect everyone to line 'em up the same way.
By Bezulsqy
DFC Ep #37

about the Zavvi stuff. Reading the thread about their releases it seems like a lot of people are not really happy with the quality, but the bits you play on the DFC do sound really good. I also liked the movie The Town, but that soundtrack also sounds great. Not great enough for me to buy because of too much other stuff.
Other stuff like Dellamorte Dellamore! I want this record since I read about it and heard some bits. Was thinking of getting it through OWS but decided to put that purchase on hold. But will get it eventually!
Love Gainsbourg! Still need to get The Connetion from Mondo. Love the tracklist of the compilation.

@TG: I always listen while at work using my iPhone. Uptill this episode I used Soundcloud. Now I will keep using the podcast app on my iPhone.
By chiefbrody
A nice lesson on Langhorne. Thanks @ScoJo. I picked up The Hired Hand after you and John Carpenter recommended it round about the same time. Sad that he's doing so poorly.

There was something approaching criticism of Dylan on the episode - unacceptable!

I don't mind telling you that I nearly crashed the car because of that sample from The Witch!! I'll take TG's warnings very seriously from now on...
By zuko
Ahhh, Broadcast. *looks wistfully into space*

Re: Baloo My Boy, the version you played is the composer singing, Jim Williams, which I don't think appears in the film:

The soundtrack also includes the version sung by the actor (Richard Glover) which is a little more, er, agricultural:

By Mateo Sanboval
chiefbrody wrote:@Jimmy, you'd better tell Idris Elba (e.g. Pacific Rim, Prometheus) and Ray Winstone (e.g. The Departed) that!
Haha! Elba had a different accent in nearly every scene in Prometheus. Much like the film itself, he just couldn't decide what he wanted to be.

PS - He did, however, nait it in The Wire.
By chiefbrody
Agree with you there, @mateo, which makes it all the more strange that he's been so bad (at American accents) every other time I've seen him. Though with the breadth of accents in Prometheus, why he just couldn't have used his own (or Stringer Bell's), I just don't know. Yet another question with no answers from that film!
By Mateo Sanboval
chiefbrody wrote:Agree with you there, @mateo, which makes it all the more strange that he's been so bad (at American accents) every other time I've seen him. Though with the breadth of accents in Prometheus, why he just couldn't have used his own (or Stringer Bell's), I just don't know. Yet another question with no answers from that film!
Yes! Exactly! It was friggin' ponderous.
By chiefbrody
Interesting choice of Ry Cooder, @ScoJo. There was a while he was in high demand in the film world. I'm more familiar with his non-soundtrack work, and there are some gems there. He's very prolific though, and as with most high output artists, there are some patchy works too. He's as famous for his work on the Buena Vista Social Club project alongside Paris, Texas. The man loves a concept album, I can tell you that. Of more recent work, I'd recommend Chavez Ravine.

Are there any other scores along the Americana/folk lines that you'd recommend. I have The Hired Hand and Pat Garrett scores, but that kind of thing is up my street.

Looking forward to the giallo episode already. I feel I've been too tunnel-visioned with my giallos so far.
By ScoJo
@Chief

Cheers, it was a bit rushed as I didn't actually have time to prepare much beyond pulling out some LPs! I'm definitely more than intrigued now about his non-OST LPs, after taking a punt on Jazz which is awesome. Most likely be pillaging that second hand collection that's washed up in my local store ;)

I'll have a ponder about Americana-esque scores and post my thoughts here at some point (when work isn't killing me!)

In the meantime, watch one of SJs top 10 movies of all time, or if you don't mind spoiling the film head to 1hr 23m into the appropriately titled....