Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
Thanks for the reactions. It makes me feel better to know that I am not the only one :-)

Looking forward to the next episode of the DFP! I was very inpressed how TAG did in that quiz. Prime example of what this is all about. Listening and loving all the beautiful stuff that is out there.
By zuko
Heh, glad to hear I'm not the only one who hoards cardboard mailers!
By Keyser
Have been listening to the podcasts since they dropped on iTunes, and I love them. Keep up the great work. Looking very forward to hearing from Tiger Lab Vinyl on the next one.

In relation to the ends (ALL THE RECORDS) beyond means ($$$) issue, I think that a lot of folk in this community would feel similar constraints, and it's completely ok. Even if it isn't always a great feeling to realise you can not own everything you might want, it is at least driven by positivity, the desire to experience something, to have, hold and hear a piece of music, an artists contribution, a creation on many levels. It is also a desire to reward the effort and work of those involved in bringing it out, the composers, the musicians, the artists, the labels. I want to buy things I like, and it's not because I have cash burning a hole in my pocket, it's because I place a real value on the contribution the music I listen to, the films I watch and the books I read to my life.

At some stage, the burden of being a responsible adult makes itself all to obvious, and we have to start making difficult choices: "Maybe I don't NEED all three different editions of the Cannibal Holocaust OST." We start to cut back on extra purchases to ensure we have dinner with the missus covered on the weekend, or to pay a phone bill we've been holding off on. It's not because we necessarily want to, it's because we have to. Sometimes, the time between purchases gets longer, because life's costs increase or our spending capability decreases.

Our external influences will always dictate our actions. They don't necessarily dictate our feelings, though. That's why we will always feel conflicted about missing out: The truth is there is far too much brilliance being created and exhibited in the world to be able to touch it all. Given that, the more one attains, the more one is driven to attain even more, so it can be a very vicious cycle. As corny as it sounds, if we are able to focus on what we do have, rather than what we don't... our lives suddenly start to feel that much richer. If you have one piece of music at hand that can put a smile on your face or a tear in your eye, you are indeed blessed.
By chiefbrody
Great point @keyser about thinking about what you have. There's always going to be much more that you don't have, but consider just how many hours of great music we all probably already have, and in all likelihood haven't been able to spend enough time with. At the current rate of releases, it's difficult to make the time to listen to a new release a few times and grow with it.

I love the labels on here (particularly DW and OWS), but I can't keep up financially with even those two labels, and even if I tried, I'm missing out on so much more music (OST and non-OST). So recently I've decided to try and show more willpower and follow a few simple rules:
- try to plan for the month ahead, and set a budget (and only blow the budget if there's a special release)
- ignore catalogue numbers (and gaps in my collection!)
- try to listen to samples or the entire OST first (I used to blind purchase based on faith - it's not failed me especially, but it's costing me a fortune)
- buying vinyl OSTs where it is vinyl ONLY - as a money saver, I could buy maybe 3 digital versions instead of one LP. I listen to digital sources far more anyway
- don't pay too much more for a variant, just to have the super limited version. If retail will be £5-10 cheaper, I can wait, and that's money towards another release
- no double-dipping (unless it's REALLY special)
- I might consider a ratio of OST to non-OST, to pull me further from the grip of collectormania

By chuck
all great comments that I totally relate to. But I also try and stick to rules, especially having a monthly budget. I also regularly go through my collection and sell bits and pieces on discogs to pay for new releases and old ones that I've missed out on. Also, it keeps your collection in to a reasonable size. I've got to move again in a couple of months (3rd time in 18 months!) and packing up and relocating 500-600 lps isn't fun at all.
By Jimmy_Mike
I think Darrell said it best: link
By Dollarhyde
don't want to derail the DFP thread but some interesting discussion here.

Been loving the DFP! finally got to catch up on the last couple and half episodes the other day. Genuinely very enlightening I've always got a couple of lp/osts added to my wantlist after an episode. noticed the mother ost kickstarter is closed hopefully will still be able to nab a copy somehow.

@chuck

it's interesting you mention selling your records. Your reasoning makes perfect sense and its something I'm thinking I will have to do at some point. I've reluctantly auctioned a few library and rare bits n bobs in the past, I made some moolah but it was a royal pain in the arse.

But, after frequenting this forum for a while now I find it a bit worrying the amount of recently released records that are constantly turning up on the second hand market, especially when they are solid killer releases.
By chiefbrody
Back on point, but related to the "how do you choose?" theme, I think the DFP provides a good source to help me be more selective, by hearing snippets and opinion on some new releases and classic scores. Thanks guys.
By chuck
@dollarhyde to be completely honest, it's not something I want to do. The whole keeping the collection down is utter shit! I'd walk my entire collection to my new home if I had to... Even if it took me six months!! But joking aside, I've only really sold double-dips, things I haven't been to fond of or records I know I'll be able to pick up again in the future without sobbing myself to sleep if I can't. And to tell the truth, I'm all out at the moment... Nothing I want to give up right now.

Right, I really must go catch up on my DFPs whilst the missus catches up on her Holby City!
By tonyandrewgiles
@bezulsqy - I think I just got lucky :)
By Dollarhyde
@chuck

My comment was not aimed at the forum, but just a general view of the vinyl, maybe ost?, scene.

Curious if others have had similar thoughts, dont know if its flipper related, blind buyers or the global nature of the innernet.
By Bezulsqy
@Keyser: great post. For me very confronting because what you say is what I know I want to feel like (satisfied, be happy with what you have)but I find it very hard to stop the 'wanting'. It sometimes feels a bit like an addiction.

I have to say that since writing what I did and reading your reaction some form of calm has come over me :-) I bought some great records this year. A lot still are comming because of my subscriptions. So no need at all to feel anxious.

@DFP: It wasn't my intention to hijack this thread, but I am happy that it created all the reactions it did.

Looking forward to the next episode! It is a Damn Fine Podcast!
By Keyser
@Bezulsqy: Great to hear, mate. As you've witnessed, you're far from alone, and most of the heads on this forum seem to be a legitimately good bunch of folk with great passion for good music. There's also plenty worse that one can be addicted to. :D

By Spun out of control
Great Scott! A fine weekend listen - a longer episode that somehow seems shorter with all the Tiger Lab chat.

As an aside... on the subject of label bosses also involved with the design/look of their releases... doesn't Andy Votel personally work on the covers for the Finders Keepers output?

Also agreed on Daughters of Darkness deserving a proper vinyl LP release from someone.
By DISCOSUCKS...
@Spun - of course, you're completely correct about Votel/FKR! Thanks for listening as ever sir :)
By shiptoshore
Radical episode, guys! Cool to hear the Tiger Lab chat...very interesting stuff.

Looking forward to many more episodes to come. Can't wait to come back on myself, perhaps when MOTHER or Manos: The Hands of Fate is issued?
By tonyandrewgiles
@shiptoshore - We would love to have you back on any time guys :)
By shiptoshore
@TAG - Sounds great!

And if you ever come to NYC and want to do a show here, our apartment is always open to DFP crew!
By tonyandrewgiles
@shiptoshore - You my friends are on ;)
By phantomnoir
[quote=65218] perhaps when Manos: The Hands of Fate is issued?
[/quote]

wow, can't wait for this one!
By StrangeVices
Thanks to @discosucks… and @TAG for having me! I had a blast and I feel like we could have kept going on for another hour or so, hah
By chiefbrody
Only just getting round to listening to 5.5. Great episode guys. Great to hear some love for The Fog (film and score). Probably my favourite JC score - just the right abount of repetition, but very atmospheric. I wasn't particularly aware that the film was polarising amongst Carpenter fans. It's maybe not the 100% classics that Halloween, The Thing or EFNY are, but it sits close behind them for me.
By DISCOSUCKS...
@chief - agreed!

See you later for the Space Spawn!!