Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By chiefbrody
Just finished the latest episode, as always there are a couple of records to look out for.

I'm disappointed with the news ScoJo - your input will be greatly missed, but I hope to glean some trivia and recommendations from you here on STBC. Your final DFP gifts were Toby Dammit and Ahmed Malek - not a bad finale.

As an aside, I also managed, like TG, to listen to Bone Tomahawk on 33rpm, and it works, with the exception of the vocal track. I'll stick to 45 all the same!
By deafmetal
chiefbrody wrote:As an aside, I also managed, like TG, to listen to Bone Tomahawk on 33rpm, and it works, with the exception of the vocal track. I'll stick to 45 all the same!
That was my first listen as well. I made it all the way to the final vocal track before noticing. I think that speaks to the quality of the music, as I have some electronic records that work well at both 33/45rpm.
By Mateo Sanboval
Bone Tomahawk. The score and film probably makes my year end lists.
By Bezulsqy
@ TG
Finished listening to the latest DFC.
Although I missed Scojo in the beginning, I though love the idea of more music. Great tunes you played.
I own Form Hell and good to hear you found out about it. It is stellar!

Also listened to 5/5/78 with Ryan Graveface.
Very cool to hear his story. I am a Terror Vision subscriber from day one. His releases are top notch. From packaging and pressing quality everything feels and sounds superb. Glad to hear more support for him and his label.
Do yourself a favor and pick up TV's release for A Whisper to a Scream as well. Fantastic score.
By Mateo Sanboval
Form Hell is one of the three best releases this year regardless of genre.
By Jimmy_Mike
@TG - agree with Bezul, the interview with Graveface is excellent. My favorite interview (along with Safan one) so far for DFN.

MIND BLOWING!!!!
By ChrisMcQueen007
I also missed SJ on the DFC as I liked the certain "depth" he brought to the discussion and the slightly offbeat musical selection (thanks again for Ahmed Malek, ScoJo).

That beeing said I also thoroughly enjoyed the interview that TG did with Ryan - honest and passionate stuff. And great music! The Terror Vision releases where a bit off my radar so far, now I'm enjoying Ghosthouse and Not of this Earth on bandcamp until my LPs arrive.
By chiefbrody
I'll be the first to admit, I got sidetracked from the DFN once it lost brother @Scojo. It certainly lost some of the more left field selections. I also couldn't keep track of all the various offshoots. This week I've listened to the Adrienne Barbeau interview (5/5/78 cast) and episode 1 of 'Cuts from the Crypt'.

Adrienne B was an engaging interviewee, and it was great to hear that she keeps working and enjoying it (Cannonball Run aside!).

I also liked Cuts from the Crypt. As alluded to earlier, it's maybe more 'popular', insofar as most or all were pretty well known, but it was a good listen - almost more like a mix, while the DFC was more of a conversation, and often an education! Monthly seems like a good idea - listening to all of Tony's casts is nearly a full-time occupation.
By inksb
I'm a big fan of Alfonso's Music Cabinet. DFC I pop in every few episodes and listen but Music Cabinet and Vehlinggo I make sure to catch just about every episode shortly after they get put up. And I agree Ep120 was pretty good with the exception of that cover from the Legion S2 set, I can't get behind that version of Corn Flake Girl, it just didn't work.
By skeletonbutt
I like(d) DFC but Tony seems like he's just going through the motions at this point and has outsourced his shows to other people. When he does do his solo DFC episodes they just seem like he's playing the new release free records he gets sent rather than doing deep dives into old stuff that he used to do. Maybe his passion for podcasting has waned now that he has other jobs in related fields.
By inksb
DFC is done. TG announced on Twitter today that he will stop doing it this year, his intention is to continue until episode 150 and that will be the end. As of right now he said the DFN will still exist and the other shows will continue, assuming everyone still wants to put them out. TG honestly just seemed stretched thin and it's shown quite a bit over the last year. Now he's joined up with Tiger Lab it's another thing added to his plate, it doesn't surprise me that he's just done with it. It was a good run, 4 years of good content for any podcast is impressive.
By skeletonbutt
Ahh, makes sense! I know he does stuff with Lakeshore and now Tiger Lab and also hosts a show on the radio, so I'm sure when he has free time the last thing he wants to do is record a podcast about records. I do enjoy going through the old episodes occasionally when I'm at work and want to listen to music but not have to choose something specific.
By maxlevel
Ah he’s at tiger lab now! I did wonder. I bought a few from shipping records back in the day until it closed up. I think I missed the heyday by a good few years... that cornflake girl cover was in my head all last night and no amount of aphex twin has shifted it today
By DigitalHiss
Just read the news on Twitter...I enjoyed the DFC.

I agree with skeletonbutt about missing the left field/deep dive tracks that showed up a lot more in past episodes but I still never missed an episode.

Super glad that the whole network of shows isn't going away. DJ Alfonso's Music Cabinet is probably one of my favorite podcasts right now.

I wonder if any podcast(s) will sprout up that play cross genre soundtrack stuff like the DFC?
By chiefbrody
Even though I barely listened recently, I felt a pang of regret when I read TG's tweet. I loved the podcast when it started, though it eventually got that I couldn't keep up. Ironically, I also enjoyed it a bit less the more music we got. I enjoyed the chat, and the interviews etc, that I never felt the need to hear entire cues. Personal preference, but I felt a bit 'less is more' about it.

I wish we still saw TG around here, but he did seem very busy and he's managed to build quite a lot from the podcast, with his offshoots, work with labels and radio show. Best of luck to him, both he and ScoJo opened my ears to a lot of great scores, at a time when I needed some steering in the right direction.
By maxlevel
I definately bought all the Four Flies 7” today on Tony’s rec. also considering the Invada edition of Butterfly but I’ve overdone it lately