Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By lazyben
I am starting a new topic for the Wicker Man and its various soundtrack releases, inspired by a question from Mateo Sanboval in the New Releases thread.

I am going to keep this intro short as it repeats on every page so the meat will follow.
By lazyben
There is a new release of the Wicker Man soundtrack coming out on vinyl from Rare Sleeve

http://raresleeve.tmstor.es/cart/product.php?id=16414

From Mateo's research this appears to be the ssme as the Music on Vinyl LP but without the incidental music. So a bit pointless but I am looking forward to seeing the full artwork.

He wanted to know the differences between the trunk lp and the music on vinyl lp.

Basically the trunk lp (and cd) is mono and was taken from the music and effects tape. It has the same versions of the songs as are in the originally released "short" version of the movie.

The music on vinyl lp (and silva screen cd) has the songs in stereo (including Gently Johnny which is absent from the short version of the film and thus the trunk release) and some of the effects and incidental music from the effects tape (in mono). There seems to be less incidental music on this release but I haven't figured out what's missing yet. This is actually shorter despite the extra song and longer versions of some songs.

Interestingly the MOV lp versions of Willow's Song includes extra lines that are missing from the short version of the movie but present in the longest known version. But the versions of the Landlord's Daughter and the Tinker of Rye have extra lines from this long version and additional lines that are not in any known cut of the film.
By lazyben
Not sure what happened to that one.
By lazyben
Ah, that's better.

Here's the MOV LP, it is a gatefold with a lot of information inside. The inner is has a different poster on each side. This version is a nice marbled yellow vinyl, I think there have been a few colours now.

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad20 ... d88218.jpg
By lazyben
Willow's Songs LP on Finders Keepers w/obi. This has versions of "the traditional British Folk songs that inspired the seminal soundtrack to The Wicker Man". There is also an unreleased instrumental version of Willow's Song that hasn't appeared anywhere else to my knowledge. Has an insert with various stills.

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad20 ... e047e1.jpg
By lazyben
On to the related stuff...here is an EP of covers of songs from Wicker Man by US & Them which is quite nice:

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad20 ... 50e165.jpg

Nuada by Candiate (CD only I think), music inspired by the film the wicker man:

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad20 ... b1c2fb.jpg

I am taking the Candidate cd to work tomorrow for a listen as I haven't played it in years, I seem to remember liking it though.

By lazyben
While doing a bit of research for this I found a 12" by the Mock Turtle called Wicker Man which appears to be another tribute type thing so I have one of those on the way.

This guy's site is good on the different versions of the film and songs etc.

http://www.steve-p.org/wm/diffs.htm

I am really hoping the new version of the film coming out for the 40th anniversary will have some missing footage but I am not holding my breath yet. I already have various dvd versions but will be happy to add another if there is anything new added.

I'm sure someone out there knows lots more than me about this so what am I missing?
By lazyben
Last thing. Jonny Trunk has my eternal gratitude for being the first person to release a version of the soundtrack which was my absolute grail ever since I first saw the film years before. I buy everything he releases as a result, even that LP of announcements from a train snack bar.
By Whip Wilson
This is fantastic, lazyben, you old so-and-so! Thank you very much. Allow me to humbly add a couple of tidbits about the newest release available on the Rare Sleeve site. Firstly, the edition they are selling with new artwork is a Silva Screen release and they are apparently using the Silva Screen CD tracklist, minus the "incidentals," as the template for this release. Secondly, this release is limited to 500 copies on black vinyl. Cheers!
By Whip Wilson
To reiterate: Stunning work, lazyben. You're a flipping diamond.
By lazyben
You're welcome.

I remain somewhat baffled by this new release. The MOV LP is the Silva Screen cd release licensed to vinyl. This is the same thing but leaving off the Incidental music which is 4 tracks so it's going to be even shorter. The MOV LP is less than 40 minutes I think so it can't really be for sound quality purposes as that's not compressing anything. I suppose it will all be stereo and won't have the odd flow of going back to the start of the movie after Summer is a-cumen in.

I ordered it anyway :)
By lazyben
Heh, I completely forgot about the Tunng lathe cut. I do have a copy :)
By siforster
The 40th Anniversary "Final Cut" is a version that the BBC showed once as part of its Moviedrome series. It's not as long as the Director's Cut but the print is a lot better (and certainly consistent throughout, as the DC extra footage is pretty grimy), and adds an image of that weird wood/fungus face thing that appears on much of the early film posters. Not sure what's cut from the DC for this, but I believe much of the mainland preamble has been removed again.
I'm intrigued by it and will probably buy it (again!), but the hype behind the release was a bit choice ("we're desperate to find the 'full' version but it's been missing for ages oh hang on here it is and it's available to buy in 2 months"). Still, all DVD/BR versions come with a CD of the soundtrack by all accounts so they're forgiven. I'll still prefer the DC for it's warts & all approach to the story and the rather wonderful commentary (in which Christopher Lee becomes increasingly angry about Michael Deeley, the negatives and everything else). It's just a shame that many of the more colourful characters involved in the film are either deceased or refuse to talk about it anymore, as there were deep divisions in the camp during and after filming that didn't really become apparent during the slightly luvvified commentary :)
By lazyben
All that hype and it's the moviedrome edit?

I haven't seen that version since its only airing so I will be glad to do so again but I am a little disappointed (although not really surprised) that there is nohing new.

Is anyone going to see Robin Hardy at Forbidden planet?

https://forbiddenplanet.com/events/2013 ... a9f45d9d0b
By siforster
Yeah, sadly there'll be nothing actually "new" until they dig up the M3 and they get the negs back (genuinely surprised that Channel 4 or someone hasn't actually tried this!) - and that would seem to extend to just two scenes. It's a good edit though as it tells the story properly and - for want of a better word - efficiently, and image quality is always a bit of a bonus. The Director's Cut is ace for the fact that it's about as long as it can be (and this is definitely welcome as far as I'm concerned with The Wicker Man) but I could see an editor's point of view that not everything is necessary.
By siforster
Anyone who missed out on the MOV lovely artwork edition (ie, nearly all of us!) may be thrilled and sorely tempted to know that Piccadilly records have snagged a couple and are taking pre-orders now for a Nov 18 release. Click McHere for the thing.
By Oiche
My Wicker Men. Couple to add looking at lazybens!
By Whip Wilson
Oiche, what's the scoop with top row second from the left?
By lazyben
That's the Mock Turtles Wicker Man 12". I only found out about it when researching for this thread, I ordered one but it hasn't turned up yet (the joys of international shipping).

So Oiche is up on me with this one and having both colors of the trunk lp.