Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Spun out of control
Fans of the Drive score etc don't have too long to wait for this newbie...

Lost River Original Motion Picture Soundtrack On Italians Do It Better On March 30th.

Listen to the main theme on SOUNDCLOUD

Wonder if the movie is any good or a Ryan Gosling vanity project?
By monsterworship
The poster I got with my latest IDIB order is cool.

I'm looking forward to this.

By zuko
I think she's just been eating some mousse.

Pumped for this one, the sample track is sublime.
By Re-animated Cat
Personally not keen on the soundtrack clips.
By Whip Wilson
[quote=50273]Personally not keen on the soundtrack clips[/quote]

Ditto, old son. Too saccharine for me by half. Tonally, it reminds me a bit of how M83 could create music that was perfectly cinematic, yet utterly generic and a little soulless at the same time. I quite liked the first Symmetry LP. Unfortunately the Chromatics stuff leaves me flat, but dammit I tried.
By Spun out of control
You guys are right in that the Symmetry stuff (potentially) sounds better, as would the Chromatics music generally with a better singer or the Glass Candy lady, although this is only teaser of the score for now...

Don't know if you heard the Johnny Jewel 31 minute 'The Other Side of Midnight' track posted up before Christmas... was imagining that this score would be along similar cinematic, more expansive sounding lines. It's a cool moody listen anyhow.

LISTEN/DOWNLOAD HERE
By Whip Wilson
Thanks for the suggestion, Spun. That was an enjoyable, ambient listen.
By deathwaltz
For my money there is no better label than Italains right now.
They have consistently delivered the goods over the last 5 years and very rarely misstep.
I am super excited for the New Chromatics album , the last one was incredible.
By uxipi
amen.
The (looong) wait is always worth it, looking for the Glass Candy album too.
By Vapourmeyer
The Chromatics soundclips sound like so much other stuff i've heard recently. Having a job telling most of it apart (could be my age though).
By Whip Wilson
[quote=50510]Glass Candy[/quote]

Legit ass shakers.
By uxipi
It's up on iTunes now, sounding really good :D
By uxipi
CD in April and vinyl in June, but you never know with IDIB
By zuko
Thanks for the stream link Spun :D
By NathanLurker
Good color choice, looks nice. I hope the cover art is the picture of that big door from the youtube video above. I'll pick this up for sure.
By zuko
Triple vinyl by the looks of it
By monsterworship
The chromatics - yes (love theme from lost river) and a few remixes are avail. on spotify. Really digging the doorway graphic.
By Hatter313
Watching this right now, loving the music. The movie is...well I'm a sucker for this sort of thing so I'm really loving it, but I can understand the poor reviews
By Wes_2666
The film fell a bit flat for me though with a few different choices it could have been very, very good. Still a solid directorial debut from Gosling. Very Refn-ian in parts.

Absolutely loved the score, though I'm against the idea of a triple vinyl...there are so many 1-2 minute ambient pieces with dialog over them that could be eliminated, it seems like they could easily fit it onto two. I made a mix of it for my phone and it's about 45 minutes.
By Hatter313
the ending was abrupt, but i also think that it fit with the whole dream logic that the movie had. I think that with a tighter script maybe, Gosling has some seriously cool directing chops. The story's originality and uncomfortable flips between fairy tale mystery and brutal violence set a really interesting tone. i don't know if i liked it or was just mesmerized by the ambition of it.

I think it may not be a good film, but it isn't a lazy film, and was clearly mace with a lot of heart, and for that i have trouble dismissing it as easily as some critics. If a movie is clearly made with such love, even the bad ones, i give them a lot of credit for intent.

i'd say i give it a B/B+
By Wes_2666
I would agree with that. I would definitely say it's interesting, which about 95% of films fail at.
By Wes_2666
Great interview with Johnny Jewel about the score here:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononho ... s-20150420

Funny bit- he talks about how much he liked Only God Forgives and it's his "favorite Clint Mansell" score (Cliff Martinez actually did that score). I wonder if that's a dig at Martinez (who was given the score to Drive after Refn had told Jewell he would be doing it).