Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By DISCOSUCKS...
Spinners,

It's obviously too soon to really state this with complete sincerity, but my initial reaction is:

The score is a masterpiece.

As with Inception, themes, ambience and specific sounds from the soundtrack (and how it plays off the imagery of the film) are following me around days afterwards, haunting me.

I'm under it's spell right now but my instinct tells me it's right up there with his very best, and I can't wait to experience it stand-alone to see how it plays.

Anyone else have thoughts?
By freshoj
The movie was a lot of fun but with more holes than swiss cheese. I wish more sci fi movies of today would realize less is more when it comes to explanations. I'm no physicist, but even I had trouble digesting this stuff.

See 2001, Solaris, Alien and Blade Runner for a less-is-more approach to science fiction. Heck even A New Hope left a lot to our imaginations.

Anyway, I did really like the music and was very glad it didn't sound like Inception In Space.

and it really is fun and visually spectacular - well worth a big screen watch and this has been jmctodo, at the movies.
By DISCOSUCKS...
Fair do's if you want to leave comments about the film chaps, but I sorta wanted to start comment/discussion specifically about the score. Which, as I say, I'm currently of the opinion might well be a masterpiece.

This has been Disco at the Soundies, re-directing the thrust of a thread! ;)
By scentofdeath
Yup, the score rules and Zimmer's organ made the movie better. Definitely want it on vinyl.

Quick note about the film: I didn't think there were holes in the plot I just think inventing a fifth dimension and calling it "love" was a bit of a let down. I also enjoyed the loud mix in the theatre, I think it covered some of that gibberish about love in the dialogue :)

Anyway, interspectacular film, stellar score!
Now gimme vinyl. I will take the Tesseract and Gargantua colored variants, thank you :)
By DISCOSUCKS...
Zimmer's Organ!!

The title of my 8th solo album! ;)

(Btw...here's my first tuppence on this score: did anyone else think Koyaanisqatsi?)
By scentofdeath
[quote=41151]did anyone else think Koyaanisqatsi?)
[/quote]

You're onto something, but it didn't cross my mind
By scentofdeath
Listened to the whole soundtrack today, and it's beautiful.

Discosucks you were right, there's quite a bit of Philip Glass in there.

Also this :)

By deafmetal
^ Now I'm really excited to see the film. This weekend!
By reelybored
Just saw this... wow! That is all
By Frizzle-Frizzi
Saw yesterday.168 minutes of Great visual effect but the story is wrote from 4 monkeys or what? So many holes.the movie took more of 2 hours to keep you in this "big mistery" and after that is Too quick and Too easily resolved.soundtracks is Amazing.
the " happy ending" is the worst and illogigal part of all movie
By reelybored
There were plenty of holes and questions but the visuals, soundtrack and drama did it for me plus father/daughter thing
By Pain_Bubbles
I don't think the movie actually had a happy end.

SPOILER WARNING DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE!!!
(Spoiler tags don't seem to work)

Coop dies in the black hole, the bookcase and old Murph are all a dying dream.
No-one can survive inside, or close to a black whole, Coop would be pulled apart to a string of Molecules (Spaghettification) long before he'd get to the Tesseract.
Remember what Matt Damon's character said about seeing your children before you die?
Notice how Coop seems unable to really change anything from behind the bookcase? He spells out the word STAY with the books, knowing that he is not going to listen, he even sends himself back to NASA with the message in the sand.
When he is found near Saturn (of all places!), the staging point of this vital mission to save humanity they have built a space station there, and on this important location ,he wakes up in a hospital, overlooking a baseball field (remember where he took Murph when she argued about the moonlanding in school?) and a perfect replica of his old house.
There doesn't seem to be much else there, the space station doesn't appear to have any real purpose to anyone but Coop.
He quickly visits his dying daughter without interacting with anyone else in the (crowded) room , and immediately afterwards has no problems procuring a spacecraft , which not only he can effortlessly pilot even though it was built almost a century later, but also has a conveniant custom storage space for his now 90 year old supersized robot behind the drivers' seat.
The whole final act of the movie is a textbook examble of a dream sequence.

If these are all plot holes, Nolan would be a horrible story teller, I think it's intentional, the whole thing just makes more sense if Coop died. This also solves the obvious time travel paradox in the movie: Coops own message from the future was the thing that prompted him to go on the journey that would take him to the future.
Now this MIGHT be taking it one step too far, but if you would consider that the original "gravity" messages to Coop and Murph were sent by Michael Caine's character, because he needed a qualified pilot for his mission and knew Coop would be suitable (He also lied about "Plan A") you are left with a movie without any supernatural elements: No aliens, Tesseracts, Ghosts etc, just a guy manipulated into a suicide mission to ensure the survival of the human species after an ecological disaster. This would also explain the coincidence of not only finding NASA, but meeting an old friend there, who instantly asks him to pilot the most important mission in history.

Back on topic: the soundtrack is awesome =)
By reelybored
^ didnt think of it that way although the time paradox thing was one question/hole that boggled me and did not make sense. It's one of those films that gets you talking/discussing/thinking and i enjoy that
By freshoj
>gets you talking/discussing/thinking and i enjoy that

for sure! my buddies and I wasted a long time in the parking lot after the movie. there was a lot of fun had.

Disco, I wish we all were better at discussing the music, but if this forum is evidence of one thing, the members are much more comfortable talking about more tangible things than trying to talk about music. I for one, really wish I could speak more intelligently about music - especially considering what a passion I have for it. I am still haunted by the time you asked my what the Aimez-Vous Les Femmes? EP was like. :) (wow, now I am WAY off topic)

The music of Interstellar is gorgeous. While watching I was struck that Nolan clearly was inspired by 2001 (esp with the scenes in the black hole) but enough time has passed that I don't remember if the music influenced my internal comparisons. You've heard the music more recently, does it have some Ligeti-esqueness?
By Pain_Bubbles
I have only listened to the Cd once, so don't read too much into it, but i did not hear much references to ligeti.
I'd say it balances the line beteen new-age and "serious" modern classical music, ocassionally leaning towards something like Terry riley while at other times more akin to Glass, or even Mahler. It's definatley not very "Zimmer-esque"
For me, it is almost the perfect listen, 72 minutes went by in an instant. (Or maybe the Cd came with some Time Dilation?)
By DISCOSUCKS...
Haha...."still haunted by the time you asked......."

Sorry @jmc! :P
By Oiche
Brilliant soundtrack to an enjoyably spurious film that begs a big screen outing. I was amazed by the use of sound in this movie and Zimmer has provided what I'm sure will be recognised as on of his best. Goddamn though, it was very Glassy in places! I have a little wood at the prospect of playing this loud as flip.
By maxvelvet
I've seen the movie and wow...wow and again WOW! The whole experience was terrific and about the soundtrack, what can I say? I think that Zimmer is a genious (I think the same of Nolan) and it was intense, really! Can't wait to listen the whole audio masterpiece on vinyl and drown in the blackest of the black holes!! ;)
By scentofdeath
Apparently one of the tracks in the movie was left out from the ost release (?)... and it's one of the best in the score.

Some guy recreated it (fuck if I know how) here: https://soundcloud.com/tyler-srinivasar ... nning-dock

I really hope the vinyl edition will be an "extended" type and include all of it.
By reelybored
From what I understand that track, docking or smoething to that effect was comprised of a few tracks combined creating a suite of sorts so i think it is included in the ost, just as separate entities rather than a track if that makes sense
By zuko
Saw this on the BFI IMAX last night. Hans you magnificent bastard.

*Spoiler* – Surely I wasn't alone in wanting to shout this out in the cinema: youtube.com/watch?v=BUa5oHgYV2k
By DISCOSUCKS...
Oohhh shit yo....this is happening!

Fantastic news.

I'm gonna go hang out in the 5th dimensional love corridor....give me a shout when it drops. Or, y'know...push some books of a shelf. Whatever works for you.