Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Spun out of control
So, have just received a couple of very good looking releases on the otherwise hard to love tape cassette format - to add to Cannibal Ferox tape previously from OWS and a ZED Visions of Dune Cassette Store Day release, which despite being a lowly cassette is in fact sounding very good on my Technics stereo....

Coupled with that, there seem to be a lot of synth wave/pseudo soundtracks being released on tape as a physical format alternative to the download (cheaper to produce than vinyl I guess)

Know there have been a few people posting about soundtracks on cassettes across various threads, so thought this might be a good place to bring those strands together?

A passing fad or another re-birth? Who's got the love?
By ghostfires
I LOVE cassettes! I am dying to get that Visions Of Dune cassette, it's just too expensive online any where I've found it (if anyone can get me one cheaper than $18 + shipping at a local shop, I'd love to have it!).

I think you will enjoy Yves Malone...

Yves Malone - Three Movies

Unfortunately it is already sold out...so you might check for copies on Discogs or else where, but it is really damn good stuff. I was lucky enough to get a copy through their bandcamp, and have slapped it on the tape deck quite a few times. Perfect Halloween listening!

Street Trash from Lunaris is also really great on cassette if you don't have it yet.

If you're digging on cassettes - new age, synth, soundtrack-esque, electro...you should definitely keep up with VCO Recordings: http://vcorecordings.bandcamp.com/ - as they put out lots of great stuff.

If you're looking for some very straight-forward Carpenter worship, Alex Barnett is a great choice to pick up on cassette. I would highly suggest picking up any or all of his Section series cassette releases. I own them all, and they're all good stuff. I think they can be had for cheap too on Discogs. http://nihilistrecordings.bandcamp.com/ ... 3-nihil-71
By ghostfires
OH! And I almost forgot Redder Moon! I absolutely love this synth pop tape, the bass lines in it are just awesome...

http://reddermoon.bandcamp.com/
By tonyandrewgiles
I'm happy to jump on this topic.

Cassettes were actually my first foray into the soundtrack world with the Tim Burton Batman OST and my love has been rekindled by the good folk at OWS with these past releases.

Plus my beloved Dracula OST

And some quality lo-fi Yorkshire black metal

Looking forward to receiving Candyman & WolfCop!
By NathanLurker
I got a lot of non soundtrack tapes that are soundtrack-like. I followed VCO for a good while, really cool label. I'll jump in this thread, show some of my tapes sometimes.
By Spun out of control
And here is the ZED Visions of Dune cassette.

Ordered mine direct from Fingers Keepers for £10 who seemed to be involved in the distribution - but currently showing 'out of stock'. I remember seeing a posting somewhere saying only 100 were released.

There's always the vinyl version...

EDIT: Bleep still have, and they are saying release of 150:
LINK
By ghostfires
@spun - Bleep is actually who I was trying to avoid buying from. It was $18.99 originally, so they've come down a $1.50 which is nice, but still - after shipping it's well over $20 USD, and that is just too much for me to spend on a single cassette.

I'll definitely grab the vinyl edition!
By zuko
This Yves Malone stuff is wicked, nice one Ghosty, listening now!
By toosoonjunior
Cassettes get dogged a lot, but I love them. Inexpensive, compact, and there is a nostalgia factor there for me as I grew up listening to mostly cassettes. And not being an audiophile, I don't notice a significant enough difference in quality from other formats.

Also, I appreciate labels like OWS offering both a vinyl and cassette version of a release. That way if I'm not feeling a release enough to spend $25-30, I can always spring for the $10 cassette.
By deafmetal
Love the nostalgia of the platform, but the fragility of the media is possibly even worse than vinyl. Artwork is smaller than compact disc, which is one of the biggest negatives to me. Remember squinting to read liner notes or lyrics on cassette releases? Yet here I am in 2014 buying cassette releases for obscure albums. You would think that lossless albums streamed over fiber-optic connections directly to your aural "port" would be the norm in this day and age. *throws smartphone in the bin*
By Whip Wilson
A bit OT, but has anyone got a link for ZED LP reissue?
By prettybleak
I just got a sealed copy of the Zed LP on Discogs for under 30 bucks; there were several other copies last time i checked.

Mount Analog has copies of the Zed cassettes if anyone is looking for them ($16), but you may want to call before placing an order, as I've had a lot of problems ordering things that ended up not being in stock.

http://climbmountanalog.com/
By Dollarhyde

Picked up the Polivoks Orthodox mixtape from finders keepers and I would highly recommend it. loads of crazy synthy proggy disco kind of stuff, all of which I have never heard before.

The other 3 cassettes are the first three volumes of mike simonetti's (italians do it better) mixtape series "at the juncture of light and dark". Which have also been blowing my mind, and again have no idea what any of the tracks are, maybe some ost stuff in there at places. He plays various genres all with a psychedelic spacey electronic vibe. Cant wait for the next installment.

Oh, and the first two volumes are free to download on his soundcloud.
By prettybleak
i've got polivoks orthodox on order. it was an impulse buy (exchange for my "Under the Skin" that has been out of stock for over a month), so I'm glad you say its good.

checking out those Simonetti mixes now!
By ghostfires
I've got those Simonetti tapes too, they're great! Very relaxing mixes to slap on the tape deck and chill out to!
By Dollarhyde
@prettybleak, you wont be disappointed was an impulse buy for me too. would love to know what some of the tracks are on the simonetti mixes.

Anybody have the neotantrik cassette feat. Ciani, Votel et al? Was unable to catch this, seemed to sell out in the blink of an eye.
By nick1972

More of my tapes
By Spun out of control
@nick1972 - very interesting, almost a cottage industry of people producing these limited tapes...

On that note...

Any UK folks got a link for Polivoks Orthodox tape?

Liking what I hear on the snippet at Bleep.com but they're out of stock. Can only find it on sale one place in the States and one place Japan. Don't want to pay £20-£30 on Discogs. Thanks.
By Dollarhyde
@nick1972

That's the tape, how is it?

Jealous of that other ciani related cassette and the possession cassette.

I have these colin potter (nurse with wound) tapes waiting to played. Limited reissues from cassette store day. Lo fi indie synth from 1980-1982

By ghostfires
@dollarhyde - I almost went for those through mount analog. I use to really be into Collin Potter's work...but I wasn't sure if I still would be or not, seeing as it goes more into noise territory at times. Let me know what you think of them once you get to listen to them all...