Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By seb
We all know nothing beats the blood dripping platters from hell... but there are some really good 'mainstream' OST's. Some are pure gold, others you might be a bit embarrassed about.

List 'em here and tell us why... always looking for a good tip!

I'll start:

# Crybaby First of all, it's John Waters, Iggy Pop and Tracy Lords. Second: it has all them sweet 50ies tunes that make you want to date a girl and go to Disneyland. To my shame, I have never seen this on vinyl, not even sure it exists.

# Scarface Good soundtrack for cocaine use. I listened to it recently and there are bits that remind me of the new 'Maniac'OST. I'm sure ROB is a fan. Push It To The Limit is a hit in my book, hotpants and rollerblades.

# Suburbia The punk movie by default. Total trip back to my mohawk youth. It has DI,VANDALS,... but most important: It has TSOL on it. Hell yes!

I'll list more when they pop into my head.
Seb

By paddyo
Two of my faves are -

- Rumblefish
- koyaanisqatsi
By momofuku
Birth- Alexandre Desplat

The Hired Hand-Bruce Langhorne

Dead Man- Neil Young

these are probably my three favorites, anyway...
By JamesandBeard
As I'm listening to it right now I may as well say Ry Cooder's score for PARIS, TEXAS. In fact I'm a sucker for Cooder's work in general.
By seb
Paddyo : koyaanisqatsi, I need to revisit that one, I can't remember if I liked it or not :-)
By fluppeco
Love the Moroder Scarface OST, 'She's on Fire' and 'Push It...' are my fav tracks on that record. Needs a rerelease on vinyl!
By siforster
Current faves include:

Judgement Night - Fantastic soundtrack to a terrible film

Blade Runner - Because it's Blade Runner

Kikujiro - Favourite Hisaishi score for my favourite Kitano film

Silent Hill 2 - Do videogames count? This is a hands-down fave album of mine, regardless of genre
By FnordChan
One Way Static: If you revisit Koyaanisqatsi, see if you can get hold of the Criterion Blu-ray and simply watch the film; with no dialogue or overt narrative it's essentially a long music video for the Philip Glass soundtrack. In particular, "The Grid" sequence is astonishing.

Meanwhile, my personal favorite soundtrack is Akira by the Geinoh Yamashirogumi. Nothing else sounds quite like it - at least, I can't think of anyone else who has wrangled together that large a chorus and that many gamelans at once - but for any other Akira fans here I'd recommend checking out another album by the Geinoh Yamashirogumi, Ecophony Rinne (1986), which has a similar sound to the Akira OST.
By markmorb
Has to be Twin Peaks, the series and especially the movie "Fire Walk With Me". Also "The Virgin Suicides" by Air, fantastic stuff.
By carloscadaver
Absolutely love Cry Baby's soundtrack as well, gotta add John Waters' Hairspray as well, solid r&b & soul hits on there.
By seb
@Sifoster Judgement Night is probably one of the most sold soundtracks in the nineties. Slayer and Ice Tea doing The Exploited...

@FnordChan Like I said, it has been ages (+15 years) since I saw/heard that movie. But I will revisit it. I do remember the chants in the soundtrack. Akira is top material. I'm a big fan of older 80ies melancholic anime soundtracks like 'Hokuto Ken' 'Saint Seiya".. sometimes cheesy but there are some pieces of gold in there.
By unpopular_poet
Hopefully nobody will throw anything at me, but I totally dig the Dances with Wolves OST -- found it on lp in a great record store (Treehouse) in Minneapolis on my annual trip up there.

Also, for you Scarface fans (Limit!), the Jan Hammer complete Miami Vice collection is out of this world. Crocket's Theme is a masterpiece.

Lastly, I would say in the realm of video games, the complete score for Final Fantasy VII is up there -- if you are into the epic japanese rpg type scores..
By seb
@UNPOPULAR POET I heard this from a lot of people (about DWW)... but it such a cheesy movie that it's hard for me to give it a try :-)
By capnnarcolepsy
The Fight Club score by the Dust Brothers is my absolute favorite soundtrack. If I had the means to put out an all-encompassing vinyl release of something, it'd be this. I already have it all worked out in my head. Haha.

By renpen21
Ones I have constantly on repeat are "Beasts of the Southern Wild" and "inception" been listening to the Maniac soundtrack as well on spotify on repeat till the death waltz version drops
By siforster

I would say in the realm of video games, the complete score for Final Fantasy VII is up there — if you are into the epic japanese rpg type scores..

I have plenty of those here! FFVII is among my favourites as it's one of the first vg soundtracks I bought; top of the rpg scores for me though are Xenogears, Vagrant Story and Shadow Hearts (the latter's tracklisting alone makes for interesting reading!)
There's very little that ever made it to vinyl which is a bit of a shame (and also a bit of a heads-up to anyone wanting to explore an unexplored niche in the market), there was a Xenogears Orchestral Selection a couple of years ago, usual ltd quantity/silly money if you want to track one down now...

The old - and sadly neglected, now that increased storage space and more sophisticated soundchips - tradition of "arranged" soundtracks is a fun diversion too. I have a weird album by the name of Secret Of Mana+ where the gorgeous SNES (and now iPhone) ARPG's lush soundtrack is turned into a single 50-minute track of utter strangeness...
By RyanPlugs
Johnny Greenwood's soundtrack to There Will Be Blood is definitely up there with my favourites.
By static14
Ennio Morricone's score for The Mission is definitely up there for me.
By palmat
I'll agree that Scarface is a great soundtrack!

Here's five non-horror soundtracks that I constantly come back to.

1. The Game - Howard Shore
2. Drive - Cliff Martinez
3. Black Rain - Hans Zimmer
4. Crash - Howard Shore
5. Oldboy - Hyun-jung Shim

By tadge
Thats easy Blade Runner
By bionic
For me Risky Business, the Tangerine Dream material was superb, or Elmer Bernstein Heavy Metal is pretty cool.
By colicub
Oh man, the Drive soundtrack is so good. There's a few others that I am in love with, a lot of Michael Nyman's stuff is great (The Piano and The Cook The Thief His Wife & Her Lover especially), the aforementioned Scarface and Blade Runner OSTs, the Scott Pilgrim Vs The World soundtrack, Glory Daze, The Crow, Hackers, Airheads, Bio Dome....there's a lot of non-horror soundtracks I really like. :D
By colicub
Also, I'm not sure if they count as horror or not, but all of the soundtracks Chu Ishikawa did for Shinya Tsukamoto's films are awesome in my opinion, especially Tetsuo.
By unpopular_poet
I totally forgot about the Mission Soundtrack -- so amazing. I will probably have to put that one on tonight.

By theraygun
That'll Be The Day. Easily found in pretty much any charity shop. Soundtracked the 70/ Ted and rockabilly revival and it's on Ronco.

The soft rock Virgin Suicides one. Gilbert O'Sullivan ahoy.

The Japanese Ghost Dog one. It's all about the beats.