Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By DISCOSUCKS...
Heyhey,

I recently found out (thanks to this very forum) that I'd almost missed out on one of my all-time grails which got a limited vinyl run last November ("The Hired Hand" OST by Bruce Langhorne on Scissor Tail). So, I'm proposing a thread for posting news of recent/upcoming/tip-offs/rumours on new vinyl OSTs?

Will kick off with a few big boys:

- Beyond The Black Rainbow/Jeremy Schmidt (DWRC)
2013 Date TBC

- Last House on the Left/David Hess (One Way Static) (is this going to be a clear flexi!??)
2013 Date TBC

- Only God Forgives/Cliff Martinez (Milan)
29th July 2013

- Knife in the Water/Krzyzstof Komeda (Finders Keepers) 7"
July/Aug 2013

- Re-animator/Richard Band (Waxwork)
July 29th 2013

- Beat Girl/John Barry (Poppydisc)
July 22nd 2013

- Touch of Evil/Henry Mancini (Poppydisc)
July 21st 2013

All of these have me champing at the bit!
By DISCOSUCKS...
The film is a "Hobo with a Shotgun" style grindhouse spoof, with a whole art-exhibition thing behind it!!
By maxvelvet
That's cool!!! :D I love this forgotten soundtracks! ;)
By scissor-tail
Hey everybody, thanks for all the traffic!
By DISCOSUCKS...
You're very welcome....you absolutely made my year so far with this release! ;)
By dob66
Thanks for the link.
By el diabolik
Thanks discosucks, I'm a huge Francois de Roubaix fan, so this is very exciting for me. However, the audio clip sounds like the music has been taken directly from the film, rather than from tapes. Anyone got it and can confirm this?
By DISCOSUCKS...
I think that you're right, diabolik - sourced from the film, rather than master tape. Still, I had to go for this anyway - I actually performed a live score to that Painleve film once, without realising that the original music was by Roubaix! (not sure it's even mentioned in the credits...)

By thenuthouse
Contacted PoppyDisc to order some of what they have, and based on the difficulty of getting any sort of concrete response, I'd suggest just trying to find their product somewhere at a reasonable price. While a big fan of buying direct from labels whenever possible, that gent is a little difficult to work with.
By DISCOSUCKS...
Rook Films are pressing 400 of gatefold edition LP of Jim Williams score to "A Field in England".

By siforster
Would really like a copy of this after watching the film last night, but a run of 400 makes it something of a lottery...

I don't recall a huge amount of music in there either (a fair bit were repeated themes), so 2 180g discs seems a bit of a pricey muchness. Still, I want it for the artwork as well :)
By DISCOSUCKS...
A couple of interesting Amazon listings:

MORGIANA/THE CREMATOR - Lubos Fisher (Finders Keepers)
Sept 2013
He of "Valerie & Her Week of Wonders" fame...both great films.

and spotted a reissue that I'd missed:

DEAD MAN - Neil Young (Vapour Records) !!!

By pabloeterovic
can't find info about dead man
can you post a link, discosucks?
be careful with bootlegs copies
By static14
That Dead Man soundtrack is a bootleg. There were two slightly different versions (cosmetically) on initial release (US & Germany) and has never been re-issued.

The current German "re-issue" from 2011 is unlicensed and sourced from a CD!
By DISCOSUCKS...
Woah - thanks for the heads up Static, I was literally poised to purchase this and I guess I will stay of it now. Discogs listings can definitely lead to confusion in such matters! :/
By static14
Sure thing Disco. Good thing you hadn't ordered it yet!
By DISCOSUCKS...
So, my Francois de Roubaix/Cristaux Liquides 7" (Born Bad, Paris) arrived today!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97369522@N07/9260428455/

El Diabolik commented on the sound quality of the online audio clip - I can say that the
vinyl definitely sounds better, the mp3 compression wasn't doing this archival recording (from the late
70s) any favours at all. But it does sound to my ears as though it's a pressing taken from a source other
than original master tape. NOt surprising really, considering the nature of the material (it wasn't very likely
meant for a release outside of the film itself). It's a tad muffled, which is helped out by a little boost
on the mids/top end, but there's no distortion or clipping (as there was in the mp3) and my best guess
is that it's been mastered for vinyl from an analogue video tape source (such as DigiBeta/U-matic...)

IMy opinion? This is still a lovely addition to the de Roubaix vinyl catalogue, has a beautiful thick sleeve with image
from the film, and there's an insert that appears to be notes by the composers daughter - my French is
pretty bad! It seems like she's discussing the history of her papa's involvement with filmmaker Jean Painleve,
rather than the provenance of the recordings, but who knows - if anyone else can glean info from it, I shall
post a photo here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97369522@N07/9263298346/